The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
ChumBucket

Upper Control Arm Shaft - HELP

OK guys, so I spent about 2 hours today trying to figure out the correct assembly of the upper control arm. I've removed the upper control arms as part of my renovation and now I'm trying to get them back together and having some questions/issues, hopefully y'all can help me out.

'69 1/2 ton 2wd (Sorry no pics)

1) When a place the shaft b/w the UCA holes, do I try to center the shaft from right to left? If so, how the h%#^ do you do that? Does it matter as long as the big end caps are threaded enough and have enough bearing on the hole?

2) What's the deal with those little rubber dust/grease seals? Do they go b/w the UCA mounting hole and the shaft (in other words, are they a bearing surface)? Or do they just do their best to keep the grease in the threaded area?

Any help/advice would be great...any possible links describing this issue would be great to. THANKS!
ChumBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
snacks

Re: Upper Control Arm Shaft - HELP

slide the rubbers on each side of the shaft, place the shaft in the controll arm and hand start both end caps to the point you need a tool, use an impact and tighten down each side a little at a time until they are flush up against the controll arm they will be tight after your done thats what you want.o and install grease fitttings fill with grase
snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
gysgtc

Re: Upper Control Arm Shaft - HELP

The shaft has to be centered. I just did it on mine. I marked the center of the shaft with a piece of chalk then installed end caps and tightened them to the point where they are tight but could still rotate the shaft. Held a tape measure across the a arm and rotated shaft till it was centered. There are measurements in the chassis service manual but good luck figuring them out.
gysgtc is offline   Reply With Quote