The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
niceandlo

New problem, just started

Hey everyone,

was driving the pig yesterday, and noticed that when I am on the throttle and have it pinned to the floor, it starts to sputter and act like it wants to die around 40 miles an hr. It is almost like it doesn't want to run anymore, and I have to completely take my foot off the gas and slowly work my way back into it.

Then when getting on the freeway, and crusing around 70, if I push the gas down a bit more to go a bit faster, it does the same thing, like a fuel cutoff.

Now for the last problem, I was parked downhill, and had the key in the acc position before the start position, and I got a strong gas smell, hopped out of the truck and looked under it, and to my surprise there is gas almost pouring out from the front of my truck, when I turned it around, so it was uphill and in the off position, the problem stopped.

I am needing help with these, as these are pretty concerning and I want these resolved before I go into building my heads, and block

As far as my truck goes, I am going to be building it for AutoX, because out here in Washington, there 1. Aren't many CLEAN long beds, and 2. NONE running around on the AutoX circuit.

Last little tid-bit, As stated, I am going to build my heads, I have looked all over, for cams, intake mani, carb, springs, retainers, valves etc, who would I go to, or who can tell me on here, which retainers, valves, springs, cams, carb, intake mani etc would be the best for what I am trying to do, I want 375hp at the wheels if not more.

Thanks for the help in advance

Ian
niceandlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
gofastbobby

Re: New problem, just started

Some more info about your truck could help with diagnosing the problem. you could start with the year, make and model along with engine size. any current mods to the fuel system and other oddities would be nice as well.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
niceandlo

79 c10, 350 with an auto tranny, completely stock all the way around
Old 11-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
gofastbobby

If you take a match, for light of course, and follow the smell of the fuel you should be able to find where it's coming from.

Seriously though, when you fill your truck up at the gas station does it ever leak? Do you have dual fuel tanks, or did it originally?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
niceandlo

Lol. No, single originally and still is. Truck is 100% stock
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
gofastbobby

I would look along the frame rail under the truck for signs of where it could be leaking from. You may have two separate issues. First obviously is taking care of the leak.

It could be leaking from the sending unit on the tank or the filler neck area. If it's completely original the tank itself could be leaking. Without the match do your best to trace where the leak is coming from.

I know when I bought my '76 the tank was leaking from a few places. When hot rodding it would leak out the gas cap. A PO forgot to tighten clamps for the filler neck tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
njlimbaugh

Sounds to me like one problem: gas leaking indicates a hole someplace that, depending on where it is, is sucking air when the engine is running and limiting the amount of gas that gets to the engine. I'm guessing if you fix the leak both problems will be solved.
njlimbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
niceandlo

I want to go ahead and replace my fuel system with all new stuff, any ideas where the best place to get maybe an all in one kit?
Posted via Mobile Device