The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Project77

window tint for 77 chevy truck(Texas)

how dark can i go on my windows? and can someone get me a link of to exactly what is said? i was told since my truck is a grandfather i can go as dark as i want all the way around is this true?
Project77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
MisterC

Re: window tint for 77 chevy truck(Texas)

Generally that depends on the laws of the State in which you live. In California, the driver and passenger side windows can only be tinted the lightest shade. Many local police officers will overlook it, but others use it as the main reason to pull you over and then look for seatbelt or other violations.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Project77

ive been pulled over before and i wasnt wearing my seat belt and the police officer didnt even mention it i dont think i have to have a seat belt on in my truck cause its a grandfather is this correct?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/TX/
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project77 View Post
ive been pulled over before and i wasnt wearing my seat belt and the police officer didnt even mention it i dont think i have to have a seat belt on in my truck cause its a grandfather is this correct?
If it has a seat-belt from the factory (& 77's did), there is no 'grand-father' clause that exempts you. Getting a ticket is a possibility.

The rear window tint won't matter. The side tint has to be light enough for a LEO to be able to see into the vehicle for their protection. Of course many utilize a darker tint than what's legally allowed & nothing happens while others get pulled over constantly (as previously mentioned).

Window tint is one of those 'subjective enforcement' type infractions.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I can tell you that DPS carries a sample to gauge the darkness of your tint. They can, and will ticket you if the side windows are too dark. They actually have the authority to make you remove it on the spot.

Who ever told you that you can run dark tint because your truck was "grandfathered" didn't have a clue as to what they are talking about. Do not take further advice from this person please.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Project77

so my main question here is can i have limo tint all the way around on my truck? and be legal? if i tell the police that its been tinted like that before the laws even came into effect?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
john_p

depends on the cop, and from experience Texas cops do not have a sense of humor.. i run limo tint on my "11 challenger here is SC without a problem.. but my sons and grandsons will get pulled for the same tint.. cops tend to leave old people alone i guess.. if i was you i would put the tint on i wanted and see what happens..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
so my main question here is can i have limo tint all the way around on my truck? and be legal? if i tell the police that its been tinted like that before the laws even came into effect?
Legally, no you can't.

The LEO (law enforcement officer) needs to be able to see inside of your vehicle to ensure their safety if/when they pull you over.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Project77

when i get pulled over i will have my drivers side window down so they can feel safe but my passenger side will still be up and in my town i have a bunch of friends that run limo tint on their newer vehicles and cops dont say crap about it they dont even bother
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
when i get pulled over i will have my drivers side window down so they can feel safe but my passenger side will still be up and in my town i have a bunch of friends that run limo tint on their newer vehicles and cops dont say crap about it they dont even bother
Why even bother asking then? As stated.....

Quote:
The rear window tint won't matter. The side tint has to be light enough for a LEO to be able to see into the vehicle for their protection. Of course many utilize a darker tint than what's legally allowed & nothing happens while others get pulled over constantly (as previously mentioned).

Window tint is one of those 'subjective enforcement' type infractions.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Project77

what do you mean?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The answer is NO, you can not legally run limo tint. If you tell him "its been tinted like that before the laws even came into effect" he is going to laugh at you. Your buddies may be getting by with it, but the LEO's can come down on you any time they want.

Have you ever tried to drive with limo tint on your side window? I can tell you from experience that offers very poor visibility on dimly lite streets. It may look "cool" to you, but its dangerous to run and illegal too.

Run it if you like, but silly excuses won't make it any more legal .

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Project77

what if i went 28% on the sides? he will put 30% tint on there but it nocks it down to 28% he said? will that still be pretty dark or not? i like my privacy thats all i want
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The law states your side window tint "must allow more than 25% of light in". You "might" get by with 28%, but is the tint guy willing to put the compliance sticker on 28%? The first thing a LEO is going to look for is the small sticker under the tint that says it is in compliance with the Texas laws. If the sticker isn't present, they can write a ticket and it will be up to you to prove its legal.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
what if i went 28% on the sides? he will put 30% tint on there but it nocks it down to 28% he said? will that still be pretty dark or not? i like my privacy thats all i want
A LEO's safety trumpts your desire for 'privacy'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
ymerej71

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I can tell you that DPS carries a sample to gauge the darkness of your tint. They can, and will ticket you if the side windows are too dark. They actually have the authority to make you remove it on the spot.

Who ever told you that you can run dark tint because your truck was "grandfathered" didn't have a clue as to what they are talking about. Do not take further advice from this person please.
I can personally testify that you can and will get fined / ticketed for dark window tint. I purchased a truck years ago that already had 20% tint on the side windows and I got pulled over, tested by the TX DPS, failed...and was ticketed. I was given the option by the county judge to remove the tint to have the ticket dismissed and I did... I had to park outside the judges office so he could look out his window at my vehicle for verification. Hahaha..

Don't do the limo tint... its a battle your not gonna win with the officer. Take a moment and look at the issue from their perspective... would you want to approach a vehicle you just pulled over with windows so dark that you couldn't the vehicle's occupants or what they might be doing?!? Don't taunt the cops, if you debate the tint they might just find one or many more issues with your older vehicle than they would have mentioned originally... Respect the law and make life easier for all the rest of us.
ymerej71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
riz

I'll give you the simplest answer.............. Check the laws in your state on allowable window tint. It doesn't get much easier than that.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
lilpoindexter

Put limo tint on your windsheild too, that would look TIGHT.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #20
stroker87

Every car and truck I've owned since I started to drive had tint limo is just to dark biggest issue is a dark rainy night you cant see any thing after a month I lightened up my windows to one level above limo or lighter

i'm all for looks but limo is a no no for me and the cops will pull you over for it your just giving them the reason to hassle you
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #21
919cw313

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
...the cops will pull you over for it your just giving them the reason to hassle you

That's the best argument against tint.
919cw313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
1LowToy

Without tint the cops pulled me over just to check out my GFs. But with the tint I can hide the ugly ones. I haven't really had the need for that though
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
Project77

cops pull everybody over for stupid reasons its rediculous they abuse their athority and i hate it
Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
cops pull everybody over for stupid reasons its rediculous they abuse their athority and i hate it
Last I checked, LEO's are just regular people. I've met many nice people & some not so nice in my years (just like the people in our hobby & on this board).

To get back to the thread topic, it is illegal to run tint darker than the law allows thus giving the LEO's a valid reason for pulling a vehicle over. That is not abuse of authority; it's enforcing the laws which your community has hired them to do.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
Project77

it doesnt matter now anyways they are already tinted got limo on the back and 20% on the sides and the limo tint eye brow and im satisfied and you can still kind of see inside