The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
Summabish

New but old Truck Guy (kind of an intro)

About me:
I'm 26, currently in the Navy and underway. I've been a gearhead/grease monkey pretty much since I was old enough to help my father work on projects and what not. I've owned an assortment of vehicles since I was old enough to learn how to drive ranging from trucks to cars, classic to modern, and domestic to import. I've been debating on what I wanted new project and/or dd for when I get back and have always had a special place in my heart for the 60-66 style pickups as well as the 67-69 camaro(hopefully one day I can say I have one). I rarely buy anything built, I like to work on it/build it myself. Now off to my new project and will be daily now.

Well I finally found me another 60-66 pickup. It’s a 1966 Chevy C-20, 283 v8 with a 3 on the tree. The previous owner did a good portion some body work already, as well as getting rid of the ¾ ton suspension and upgrading it with some newer 1500 chevy suspension with the 5 lug pattern. It has power brake upgrade, with disk up front and newer chevy rearend. I have my dad picking it up for me this week(he dropped a deposit on it for me until he could get the money wire I sent him) being as I am currently deployed and wont be back until early next year. I’ve got plenty of plans for it currently have a 85 Silverado; which is in storage til I return, on the 73-87 sister forum link attached at the bottom for wondering eyes. Which will no longer be getting the LS1 swap and instead I plan to swap it in to this. This is my first solid 60-66 project truck. I’ve had a 64 SWB Fleetside which I lost interest in being as I was young and dumb as well as a 66 LWB Step Side. Now that I’m a lot older I’m finally getting one of my dream trucks. Now to the pictures I have. I picked it up for $1000 btw which I think was a good deal.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...html#msg160654
Summabish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
onequickchevy

Re: New but old Truck Guy (kind of an intro)

Looks like a great start. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Welcome to the forum! Nice truck to start with.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Indeed that does sound like a great deal. Hope you have a lot of fun with it when you get home. It’s nice having a dream project to focus on while deployed. I’m also appreciative of everyone that puts themselves in harms way serving in our military. Thanks!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
MOJO1963GMC

Well GOD bless you and welcome!
MOJO1963GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
64shortbox

Welcome!
You have a Great Start on your truck. And for a grand you got a steal. I see by the license plate Georgia still has the county your from still printed on the license plate. Makes it real easy for the cops from the other countys you drive through to hassle you, unless things have changed a lot since 1976.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
samuellg1977

Welcome aboard, Brother. Nice lookin ride. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Sam
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
62 Longbed

Welcome to the site , as well as Thank You for your service !!!!!! Looks like you have a good start , espically since its already been converted from 3/4 ton running gear to 1/2 ton ... Money saved !!! Keep us up to date ...
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Andyboy

Welcome, great starter and thanks for your service.
Andyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
terry b

Your truck looks solid. I hope you stay safe and git home soon. God bless you.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
PAPA KENT

WELCOME! hope all goes well and your home soon.
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you have a good plan, and a good truck to apply it to.

And Thank You for your service

Stay safe over there.....
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Summabish

Thanks for all the comments.

64shortbox - Yea alot has changed since then, they definitely don't mess with people with different county tags, just more towards different state tags.

I've been leaning towards going with ShowWheels Streeter wheel. Probably 20x8.5 and 20x10. Already orders the LSX swap into anything manual for somewhat of a guide when I get back and start tearing into it. I’m thinking about doing an 60’s apache hood and grill swap and if I can possibly even the dash. I’ve got so many ideas for it, hopefully I can wait patiently until I get back.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Summabish

Here’s an update about the truck, which I’m getting the idea that I got an even better deal than I thought. Its got a 283 with edelbrock intake, 600 cfm holly, 4 core radiator. My father said the motor runs great, no ticks, smoke, ect. Only problem with the drivetrain is that it will need a new transmission/clutch kit which my dad has a 3spd laying around that is in good condition. Later I’ll most likely do the t5 swap or TKO depending on if I can run across one for a decent price. I am saddened that the PO put hood pins on it instead of fixing the hood latch. But I was planning on swapping the hood anyway being as I would like to run a 60-61 apache hood on it, and would like to see about swapping dashes out for the early 60’s dash. I have always loved the apache style trucks and would love to swap it around for my liking being as most apache’s I find usually have retarded for owners who what thousands of dollars for a truck that needs tons of work, or something some one has already restored which I usually can’t afford to drop the money for. Plus I was taught long ago from my father that if you build it yourself your more likely to cherish it more than buying something built.

Well enough of my chatter. I heard you all like lots of pictures so here are some more.