The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
19Hoosierdaddies68

New Interior - 68

Hello,

Today I installed a new carpet kit (bright blue) and Tahoe bucket seats. I installed the seats with 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts, large washers on the under side with a lock nut. Seems pretty solid but may still reinforce the floor on the under side to ensure they wouldn't pull out in an accident. My question is how have you all wired these seats up? seems fairly simple, one hot and one ground. Can I wire the hot to the fuse panel on the driver side? if so where do I connect in? I would like to wire to the accesory side of the ignition so the key has to be in an turn on to power the seats. Do I have to run the ground all the way under the hood to the battery? I tried to ground to the cab floor and it would give me a ground at all, maybe because of the cab being isolated....

Not the greatest picture, using my Blackberry.

19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: New Interior - 68

If I remember right the cabs originally had ground straps going from cab to the engine. It seems over the years many of the trucks had the ground straps removed.

It would be a good idea to ground the cab to the engine that way all the electrical stuff in the cab would work ok.

There is a place on the fuse block label unfused ignition to hook up accessories.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
If I remember right the cabs originally had ground straps going from cab to the engine. It seems over the years many of the trucks had the ground straps removed.

It would be a good idea to ground the cab to the engine that way all the electrical stuff in the cab would work ok.

There is a place on the fuse block label unfused ignition to hook up accessories.
Engine mounts are rubber, cab mounts are rubber and there were flat, braided wire ground straps from engine to frame and cab to engine.

If you don't have those it's a very good idea to put a strap between cab and frame and engine and frame to ensure you do not have intermittent grounds. I used a 1 foot piece of insulated battery cable with an eye on each end to ground the cab to the frame and did the same from one of the bell housing bolts to the frame. That way I knew that the ground return for the starter would handle the high current when I moved the battery.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
19Hoosierdaddies68

Thanks for the responses gents. I was able to wire up the driver seat today, connected to the unfused spot on the panel that was mentioned. I ended up finding that the cab was grounded to the motor and once the seats were bolted in and I connected the ground lead to the floor of the cab everything worked. Not sure why I had issues before. Anyway, thanks again, now I just have to finish the passenger seat.
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote