The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
dnights

AD Quad Cab Idea

So I have been thinking about this a lot more lately and trying to figure a few things out, mainly on the frame and drivetrain right now.

First, should I look at getting a later model frame or should I use my 3100 and cut the length I need from my 3600 frame?

Second, I already have a 1970 Chevelle rearend with 3.73 gears in it and I was looking at getting a 327 that I can build. So I guess the question would be what trans would work good and will this give me suitable power and driveability.

Third, should I clip it with a Camaro or go with a MII suspension if I use original frames?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated because I will be diving head first into this when I start it and I don't want to look back and ask what if.

1981 Chevy C10 Longbed
dnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Berg

Re: AD Quad Cab Idea

I'd think it might be easier to get a 70-s or 80's Chevy crew cab frame and cut it down to what you need. The good thing about that is you'd have no problem with bolting in either an I6 or a V8 depending on what you want to do. Another plus side is it comes with disc brakes and you could lift it or drop it with air bags depending on your taste/ style. It will give you common gear choices too. The nice thing about your 327 engine choice is all GM mounts for the frame could be used and you could run any kind of transmission which gives you a choice of auto or manual with direct drive or OD. You could also use Hydraboost since a lot of those crew cabs came with it too. It is a nice system and beats having a vacuum booster to have to fit in somewhere. There are places by me that make crimped hydraulic lines with any fittings and any length you'd need. You could even get stainless braid wrapped line for it if you wanted to. If you didn't want the 8 lug stuff you could always swap it all out with a half ton donor truck. Either way it really opens up your wheel combination choices. I feel like with a truck that long you'd need a 2 piece rear driveshaft with a hanger bearing
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
mr48chev

The later crew cab or maybe even an 88 and up extended cab longbed frame would probably be the simple way to go except that one would have to run wheels with no offset or flair the fenders a bit.
I'm not sure of someone from this board posted these or I found them in an add somewhere but check this one out.

That might be fun with the 1-1/2 ton 51 Chevy I have as I have the parts sitting around to do it and then put later one ton running gear under it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Berg

that WOULD be nice having the med. duty fenders and maybe even running it as a dually and widening the bed. I thought about doing that with my old 47. I'd like to get another but I'm thinking I'd like to get a 52 or 53 eventually.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote