The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
rchavez101

un arching leaf springs.

I have a 94 chevy that sags about 3/4" on the passenger side and I would like to get it fixed. I also would like to lower the rear of the truck 2" more. I went to the local suspension shop today to see what they could do about the lean from side to side and they said measure the difference and bring in one of the springs to arch or unarch to make the truck sit even from side to side. After that is complete I was going to buy leafspring hangers (front) to get the other 2 inches that I need. Since they are able to un arch springs do you think they could just un arch them to get 2" on one side and 2 3/4" on the other side? That would eliminate having to buy hangers and installing them which I heard was PITA. What would that do to my ride quality? Can they unarch springs that much? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: un arching leaf springs.

If it was me i would buy new springs and a drop kit,I mean i know a spring shop can re arch them but never used a set to know about the ride quality.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
rchavez101

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
If it was me i would buy new springs and a drop kit,I mean i know a spring shop can re arch them but never used a set to know about the ride quality.
Not knowing how the ride would be I most likely will have them correct the side to side and then buy the leafspring hangers to achieve the 2" more that I need.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchavez101 View Post
Not knowing how the ride would be I most likely will have them correct the side to side and then buy the leafspring hangers to achieve the 2" more that I need.

My thoughts would be 'why is there a difference now?'. If the springs are re-arched (de-arched in this case), how do you know the difference in height won't re-occur (maybe even be worse)? It would suck to spend the money only to have the issue not be corrected.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
1LowToy

What I did for mine was to gather up a few (three) sets of springs and take them appart. I layed out all the pieces and matched up a set with even arches. You will find several are sagged when appart. I doubled up two #3 springs. I have a stiff ride but I'll be able to carry some weight.

Total cost under 40 with extra spring pieces for yard art
Attached Images

Last edited by 1LowToy; 11-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote