The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
SS From the "Wood"

Close to Taking on a big Project

New to this forum, as I've been spending the latter part of my life driving performance sedans, but have always had an obsession that ran very deep w/ the square bodies of the '80's. My first vehicle was an '82 GMC SB 1/2 Fleetside that my dad and I spent about 8mos frame off restoring. So I guess that explains it. Why the late model sedans? A long career in the real estate business, but God's pointed me in another direction recently. Working in a more blue-collar environment (not knocking it... loving it) gives me the chance to get back into a truck, and actually have the time to wrench on it. My modern attitude had me looking at the $30K+ Sierra Denali's that were cammed & tuned, but God again brought me to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. I needed something more than what it would've provided, and I was close to owning it. Believe me it was bad to the bone!

So onward... I recently was inspired by an old Truckin' Magazine feature of a Hill's Hot Rods build, and that's where mod hell started for me! I wanted something that was super cool, daily driveable, held my family, and would cook some thick meats. Realizing my undeniable love of this era pickup, I decided to move forward with a crew cab 1/2 ton SWB project, and likely after Christmas will make a deal on it's inception! Even have my wife's blessing, so I'm 90% there!

Of course at this point I'm in my project management research phase, and trying to make a decision on a powerplant. My previous square had a .60 overbore 350 w/ a .400 crank totaling 388ci's. I'm not certain that I wanna go that radical w/ what will be a SBC mill. Maybe a 383 stroker. That's where I'm stuck. I would like to go fuel injected over carb, but which style? I like a nice, modern lopey sound, so I think I'll put it on my square body brethren to help me decide. I don't have a million dollars, but I'm not poor either. Yet. I'd like to take advantage of as many bargains as possible.

Please feel free to offer thoughts freely and honestly. I've been enjoying some of the project/build threads the last few days, and admire the support you guys give. In the end I know I'll have a sweet ride, that's low and mean, and likely the envy of the 16 year olds today! That's what I want afterall. Talk to you guys soon.

-Shannon (hailing from Clear Lake/Houston, TX)

Last edited by SS From the "Wood"; 11-19-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: grammar
SS From the "Wood" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
my4by2

Re: Close to Taking on a big Project

Do the LS swap man - you'll never regret it!!! Forget "old style" small blocks & just adding an EFI system - they'll NEVER be as efficient!!! You can get a plug-n-play system straight from GM or go the salvage yard route - your choice! Got mine through Mast Motorsports, but there's a million options out there! Look forward to seeing which way you go no matter what you decide though.
D60 + 14-bolt FF w/ Eaton posi + disc brakes
Skyjacker 2.5" full spring lift w/ Nitro shocks
Custom paint + interior
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=435722
my4by2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
harnalien
TruckincrazY

It's getting to be so easy to do an LS swap. Just do piety of research and try to avoid the usual pitfalls and you'll be fine. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
SS From the "Wood"

I'm definitely leaning toward the LS (prob 6L setup), but still trying to maintain a low budget. My worry is finding/settling on a potentially $1K engine that's got a ton of miles on it, and needs to be reworked. I've got several close friends that work for insurance company's, so I may be able to get my hands on something sweeter. ARRRRGGGHHH... what to do??? Even my dad, who's definitely an old school vet, says to go modern.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 5.3. You can find a takeout (engine, trans, accessories, and wiring) up here for around $1500, and still make respectable power. It takes a little time to find the right one with the miles you want, but they are out there.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Greenlee

Welcome to the forum. I'm right down the road from you and have a similar story... (grew up with these trucks and felt like going back to my roots). Looking forward to seeing your project. I agree the LS swap is probably the way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 5.3. You can find a takeout (engine, trans, accessories, and wiring) up here for around $1500, and still make respectable power. It takes a little time to find the right one with the miles you want, but they are out there.
x2

If I was doing it over again I would go with a 5.3L

I have a 5.3 in my Avalanche and it is a decent daily driver that can is able to pass on the highway no problem.

Good luck!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
SS From the "Wood"

I'm going to research more when I can sit down and do so tonight (moving some furniture now), but what are some performance tops end options for both 5.3 & 6.0. I'm not doIng any power adders.
Posted via Mobile Device