The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
mr48chev

Task Force Cameo Suburban

My best friend who is more like my big brother than a friend forwarded me these photos today along with a story that had all the makings of someone being given a real bs story.

The person who took the photos said that the trucks owner told him that it was a GM concept rig from the fifties that was one of two. What it is is one of the nicest custom jobs I have ever seen on a mid 50's Suburban.

I know nothing about it except what the photos show and it may even belong to a board member for all I know. The photos were taken at the NHRA museum at some event and the photo taker was Tim who may just be a bit gullible even though he is good with a camera.

The story in the email is here and believe it if you want to.

-

The ONLY 56 Chevy Step-side Suburban

I spotted this incredible car at the NHRA Museum. After catching my breath, I talked with the owner and was informed this is the only one in existence. It was originally one of two concept cars designed by the famous pioneering, industrial designer Harley Earl—GM automotive designer and VP @ GM [he designed the Corvette among many others]. The other Suburban was destroyed. This one was meticulously restored to it's original condition: no customizing, no grafting of parts from other cars... this is the way Earl designed it! The dash got some upgrades in instrumentation and new steering wheel, but this dash is basically the way it was made in 1956. The combination of the step-side quarter panels and the Nomad tailgate is stunning. The color combination is wonderful. The current owner was a long time executive at GM and after years of wheeling and dealing, finally got the car.... along with original plans, drawings, sketches and notes from Harley Earl. Talk about an historic find.... Wow! Tim

Again I know nothing about it, don't know who Tim is but the photos were more than worth sharing.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Task Force Cameo Suburban

Actually, I don't CARE if its a true story or not. The truck is awesome looking. If I had one of these old 'Burbs and saw this, I'd be planning on duplicating it. VERY cool looking. I think they'd have sold a lot of them in the era of station wagons.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
mr48chev

That is why I posted the photos Dan. The truck is too good looking not to share even if I didn't take the photos.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Kim57

Beautiful truck.
Kim
Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
SHORTDOG99

Yeah i agree, true story or not the truck is real cool looking! One hiccup i found though was that the dash (in the interior pic) doesn't seem to fit just right where it meets up with the door.....maybe it's just me, but i think i would have left the original truck dash in it and not the car dash. but like i said, that's just me.

and Dan, I am probably going to be selling my Suburban so if you do want to duplicate it....let me know!
SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
sgtusmc

Simply Beautiful! If it weren't so customized I'd believe the story. I thinks it one of those builds that went all out. Either way, outstanding build!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
azsnow

BS story but sweet truck! Am I the only one that caught were the email stated that it was a STEPSIDE grafted to the truck? There isn't an ounce of stepside in this truck! They just used the rear lights and bumper from a Cameo. Either way awesome truck, but I call BS!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsnow View Post
BS story but sweet truck! Am I the only one that caught were the email stated that it was a STEPSIDE grafted to the truck? There isn't an ounce of stepside in this truck! They just used the rear lights and bumper from a Cameo. Either way awesome truck, but I call BS!

I think the bs part was the owner of the truck having a lot of fun feeding mr Tim the line about the truck.
My buddy knew that it was bs when he forwarded the email which I have a feeling was taken from someone's online blog. I only posted the text of the email for it's humor value to a bunch of folks who know these trucks pretty well. Wait until one of the restorers pipes in about how they ruined a true collectors item.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
azsnow

Oh yeah...ruined! I do love it though, but damn, I shure could use some of those Cameo parts!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Maximus

That adaptation of the rear window is one of the most fantastic mods I have seen in a long time. Took alot of care to get the wrap-around from a pickup into the hatch. AMAZING work, and I don't care too much for radical modified vehicles. This one was done with the tastes of the original design in mind. Simply awesome.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
meter swinger

That is a TON of work. I had 59 burb and a big window cab and i thought about it for five seconds. Looks chopped as well. The dash swap is nice, heck its all nice.
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size
also looks like the entire roof is pancaked.

Last edited by meter swinger; 11-21-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Big Block
Big Block

"Wow" great looking Suburban/Cameo! Sweet custom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote