The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
McCoyAZ

In dash modern stereo systems? Pics?

What are you guys doing for sound system installations in your 60's trucks?

I want to add some tunes with an in dash GPS and would like some suggestions and words of advice from the ones that have already made the mistakes.

Show me the way please?
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
dthela

Re: In dash modern stereo systems? Pics?

after all i did to reweld the dash back to original, i couldn't bear to use new in the old hole!
Attached Images

dthela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you want an in dash gps it changes things a bit, because of the size restrictions. Most in dash units for GPS/nav are double-din, so they would need a pretty big hole in the dash. You'd have to cut a pretty decent portion of dash out, and I just don't think it would be worth it.
You could consider a flip-out nav unit; it would impede with use of the ash tray while open, but thats probably negligible for most folks.

If you want to add a regular single din unit, you can do so by enlarging the radio hole to allow the unit to be slid into place. I had to modify the little bracket that comes with the radio, but just a tiny bit in order to secure it.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
corvettejim1968

i went with the old look but new stereo. it has the correct cable for an I-Pod and charges too. i just ran the cable behind and through the back of the ash tray.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
jocko

I've got the stock am radio and plan to keep it where it is - simply because I really like the fact that it's original. But I likes my tunes too - haven't done it yet, but when I do upgrade, i will be leaving the am radio in place and installing a remote AM/FM/with MP3 input. I believe even a CD player is obsolete at this point, actually heard almost all music companies except Time/Warner are going to digital format only and stopping production of CDs. And I thouhgt my 8 tracks were still "cool"... oh well.

It's always difficult to want to do something once yet have the latest thing installed - so we tend to try to outdo it and make a big technology leap so it will seem new for some time to come. I think. Anyway, that's my plan. When I do upgrade, I'll keep the am rad intact, install an out of sight modern player with digital input of some sort to run an ipod or whatever the hot thing is at THAT time, and call it a day. No CD changer for me since they take up a good chunk of space in a small truck cab. I'd also probably go for under the seat with removeable access.

Alternative plan B, that is rapidly becoming plan A, is to send my radio to one of the many companies out there that can upgrade your old original stereo to use digital inputs and sound pretty good too. I'm not looking for window-shattering base, just something I can hear.

Now, I do realize NONE of that addresses the in-dash GPS issue - so it sounds to me that you are looking at a "modern" looking dash which none of my plans run together with because most of them are geared toward keeping everything stock "looking". BUT, I've often thought about the GPS thing too, it's a very nice to have. And my 2 cents is this - the technology advances so quickly these days that I'd be very hesitant to install a custom in-dash unit built around ANY GPS of today. The one I have in my daily driver 01 Silverado is great, but it's only a few years old and I am already accepting that it may be obsolete in a few years due to s/w upgrades or continuous map upgrades, etc. The challenge, to me, is to have your GPS (cake) and eat it too. So, I lean a little more toward the stealth approach again - my approach, if I ever get off my butt and finish all my other half-done projects is an under dash unit that folds out of the way when not in use. Looking LOWWW not ideal for driving safety, but my Silverado's GPS is mid-low dash and it's not that bad. Regardless of location, one shouldn't "stare" at it, so that's my theory anyway. I believe a mount could be rigged up not unlike the powered fold out units that folks use to hide their modern a/c vents in old cabs. I have yet to see this done, although I have seen some very nice in-dash installs - just not my personal cup of tea, that's all.

The other approach I considered was trying to find a mini-GPS that might fit behind the ash tray such that opening the door pulled it out and rotated it upright... But that's pretty small. What about disguising it behind an A/C truck ash tray below the dash (expensive if you can find it) so that once it opens it reveals the gps... Hmmm everyone would wonder why you have 2 ash trays!

Only advice I would have for the in-dash route is to make sure you plan it in a way that you can change to another gps in the future if you HAVE to. Would hate to be stuck with an in-dash unit that craps itself unrecoverably and is no longer available to buy, leaving you with a mere dahs ornament that would have been nice if it worked.

Can't wait to see how you skin the cat here, no wrong answers of course, and this was a great question to ask, so thanks!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
DLOE65

The newer Sony Cd players have bluetooth so you can mount it in the glove box or under the seat and it will play your ipod or pandora wireless. It's pretty cool and the sound quality is awesome.. i think alpine and pioneer do it to but i've only used the Sony ones.
DLOE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
McCoyAZ

Jocko:

I am not going to keep the truck looking "stock" like many guys do. I plan on changing a few things around and my tunes is one of them.

I have seen "pop up" GPS units but you have a very valid point in that if the unit craps out and isn't any longer available, what can I do then.

I will look around, see what is out there. Never know what the latest gadget will be.

I am looking for something to place in the ash tray hole, wonder if I could get a big screen TV in that hole :-) I did replace the lighter with an accessory plug. At least I will use that.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've got (what seems to me) like a pretty cool idea for a unique setup, if you want to replace the ash tray like you said.

Get yourself a used ipod touch, the iphone sized ones with app's and full wifi etc. If your rear mount the phone behind the ash tray spot, you will have a full color bluetooth compatible remote control. Then you mount a head unit in the glove box, which in this case would work well with the newer Alpine lineup. It has full control and remote interface with the iphone and itouch, and it charges unlike some. You can then do a radio delete panel and have room for custom gauges, or another small video screen.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
VH Coachworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I've got (what seems to me) like a pretty cool idea for a unique setup, if you want to replace the ash tray like you said.

Get yourself a used ipod touch, the iphone sized ones with app's and full wifi etc. If your rear mount the phone behind the ash tray spot, you will have a full color bluetooth compatible remote control. Then you mount a head unit in the glove box, which in this case would work well with the newer Alpine lineup. It has full control and remote interface with the iphone and itouch, and it charges unlike some. You can then do a radio delete panel and have room for custom gauges, or another small video screen.
That's a pretty neat idea! I think the iPod would look pretty cool if it where flush mounted. It could still be removable from the back side, and it would give it a much more custom look if it appeared as part of the dash!
VH Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
Rooster's 67

why cut up a dash when your smart phone has the capabilities that are always upto date and can be ported to an amp and sound system. Frizzlefry did a cool mod on a factory radio to act as a volume control for an Ipod. man there lots of options out there. If you just have to have screens in your truck then do what ya have to.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
GeorgeLeonard

To dthela: Where did you buy those boxes for your stereo? I like the way they look.

BTW, your private message inbox if full and not accepting any new messages
GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Str8axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeonard View Post
To dthela: Where did you buy those boxes for your stereo? I like the way they look.

BTW, your private message inbox if full and not accepting any new messages
Looks like it's for a boat. Probably from a marine supply store. Flipped upside-down, it'd mount nicely under the seat. Nice piece.

All my life, I've been told I'm a "Bad Influence"
Str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Str8axle

Not exactly "in the dash".
My '65 had this ancient cassette deck in it when I got it. I removed that and temp mounted my Sony in it's place. It came with a remote key pad, so I plan to mount the Sony under the seat and mount the key pad somewhere on the dash or in the glovebox.
Attached Images

All my life, I've been told I'm a "Bad Influence"
Str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
krazy_texan

being as my dash is already cut i plan on just installing a modern but cheap radio that i can plug my iphone into and listen to some tunes. I also have a gps that mounts with a suctoion cup to the windshield i just hang it on the far left side of the windshield eventually i am going to mount a 12v plug undet the dash and run the charger cord down through the dash somewhere prob down through the defrost or speaker vents. I also plan on purchasing kick panel speakers from lmc and the dual dash speaker. Im not looking for something to fancy but sometimes i like to hear the radio over the exhaust
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
losthope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8axle View Post
Not exactly "in the dash".
My '65 had this ancient cassette deck in it when I got it. I removed that and temp mounted my Sony in it's place. It came with a remote key pad, so I plan to mount the Sony under the seat and mount the key pad somewhere on the dash or in the glovebox.
Dont remember what forum it was on but seen someone gut the inside of a 8 track player that mounted under dash(could use a cb or tape deck) put the stereo/cd player inside and made the faceplate hinge,so it looked like the 8 track but you flipped down the face and cd player was inside. pretty slick!

here it is found it on the H.A.M.B he used a older cd player but can do the same thing with a newer one couple other people have done this same trick, this guy even made it so when you turned the knob it locks and unlocks the face plate so it doesnt fall down:

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 11-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
rideblue00

Thats funny...the fake 8 track. lol
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
dthela

ebay, cheap, like $30 touch lid and it opens slowly automatically.
dthela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #18
budden

headers and glass pacs
budden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
jocko

losthope - I LOVE that idea. VERY cool!!!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
Oldgearz

McCoy, theres a place in central phx on 16th st called Jimmy's Radio. They specialize in delcos and old radios. I think our originals had tubes? They can restore it or possibly modify it for you for not too much dough.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
willyp

been down this road a while back, i started a thread on this.........long story short i had a original am converted to am/fm stereo with ipod jacks. deployed to a remote location so i cant upload pics but here is the link to the thread. good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=404555&page=2

Last edited by willyp; 11-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.
willyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #22
Clownpuncher

I just use my Ipod that goes straight to an amplifier then to my speakers. No need for a head unit at all.

Just two plugs were needed one that is a volume control and another that allows rcs to be plugged in from the Ipod.

Super easy
Clownpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #23
Blue666

I'm normally @ Camp Marmal but am in Phoenix for next few weeks. Where are you, if you can say?
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
Dont remember what forum it was on but seen someone gut the inside of a 8 track player that mounted under dash(could use a cb or tape deck) put the stereo/cd player inside and made the faceplate hinge,so it looked like the 8 track but you flipped down the face and cd player was inside. pretty slick!

here it is found it on the H.A.M.B he used a older cd player but can do the same thing with a newer one couple other people have done this same trick, this guy even made it so when you turned the knob it locks and unlocks the face plate so it doesnt fall down:

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #25
mbfiretech

Here is about a 45 minutes with a dremel tool.
Attached Images

mbfiretech is offline   Reply With Quote