The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
El Campo

16 inch steelies?

This may be a dumb question but can you get or has anyone put 16 inch steelies on our trucks? Have been toying with the idea of having a set around to put on instead of the billet wheels once in a while or when I am still fooling with the truck. My rationale for 16 inch instead of the usual 15s is the tires would be much cheaper and easier to find plus my 3 inch drop spindles will just BARELY allow 15s to go on. Then I would obviously want some sort of doggie dishes or the like for them too. Any suggestions, ideas or pictures? Thanks!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 16 inch steelies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
This may be a dumb question but can you get or has anyone put 16 inch steelies on our trucks? Have been toying with the idea of having a set around to put on instead of the billet wheels once in a while or when I am still fooling with the truck. My rationale for 16 inch instead of the usual 15s is the tires would be much cheaper and easier to find plus my 3 inch drop spindles will just BARELY allow 15s to go on. Then I would obviously want some sort of doggie dishes or the like for them too. Any suggestions, ideas or pictures? Thanks!
Stockton Wheel was the only mfr I could find that offered an OE steelie look in a 16" wheel. Unfortunately, last I read, they were no longer in business.

Other companies offer varying offset's & custom widths in 15" OE steelies, but in 16" diameter only offered 'Smoothies' which don't look the same to me & I'm not sure if the dog-dish caps can be utilized.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Daaang that frame/stance/tire/wheel/cap combo is sexy.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Daaang that frame/stance/tire/wheel/cap combo is sexy.
I know they're not the 20/22" current buzz, but they were budget friendly for the width I wanted & classic never goes out of style.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
cdowns

i'd call coker tire and ask him i do believe wheel vintiques offers them in special order

i think the variety is better at higer quality at cheaper prices in 15" tires
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
rjsdad

BeezleBurb got his thru Wheel Vintiques. There's a picture of them about half way down on his thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=397868&page=6
rjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsdad View Post
BeezleBurb got his thru Wheel Vintiques. There's a picture of them about half way down on his thread.
Quote:
They're the OE 8 Lug wheels (82 series in their catalogue) I ordered from Wheel Vintiques. 16" x 10" with white powdercoating. The powdercoat itself was actually an extra cost option, but I wanted them to be white like the stock steelies and I wanted them powdercoated for the extra bit of weather/abrasion resistance. For the base price they can be ordered either in bare steel or painted black. I plan to run 35x12.5 tires as soon as I've got the money for them. Originally I wanted to run tall skinny treads, but only Interco sells skinny tires in 35" diameters. Every other 35" tire will not fit properly on six or seven inch wide wheels (which is why I sold my stock style 16" x 7" eight lug steelies last year). I'm actually planning on purchasing Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs of the 315/75-R16 variety. The design rim they're measured on is 8.5" wide. The Wheel Vintiques OE 8 lugs are available in 6, 7, 8 and 10 inch widths, so I decided to step up to the 10" style.
When I mentioned the lack of 16" OE steelie options, I was referring to 5 & 6 lug choices. 16" 8 lug wheels can be found easily.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
El Campo

Has anyone else tried to buy 15 inch tires lately? I just did for my other truck and they cost quite a bit more than 16 inch and there is not nearly the selection. Could not get the wide varieties of tread style and widths that I wanted. At least not where I looked could be different other places or maybe I did not look hard enough. Plus I agree, the classic look will always be cool. Pain to get brake dust off of, heavy and when scratched will rust but still look cool as heck.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I think there's still some new 15's available, but they're getting more expensive because there's less demand. I put 16x7's on my '96 GMC because I wanted to replace my 15's and the tire guy mentioned he's having a hard time finding used 15's. I went to a Wheel Vintiques 66-series (vette-style rallye) wheel. But, you want a wheel that looks original, but is a 16-inch diameter. Here's a pic of my GMC, but it ain't the wheel you want. Check out www.wheelvintiques.com, then order them from Summit Racing for less money.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
El Campo

Yep wheel vintiques has them. And you can get all the way from a 16x4 to a 16x10. Hmmm tempting for 162 dollars (even for the 16x10) a piece. If I cant get my Intros to work for me I might go that route. Might anyways!
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Yep wheel vintiques has them. And you can get all the way from a 16x4 to a 16x10. Hmmm tempting for 162 dollars (even for the 16x10) a piece. If I cant get my Intros to work for me I might go that route. Might anyways!
Which ones are you referring to? Original steelies in a 16" diameter & 5x5 pattern or the vette style ralleys?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...k%7cAsc&page=3
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
Close, but not close enough for an easy OE looking swap.

Those wheels don't have the 4 'windows' that OE wheels have which may or may not be a deal breaker to some (it would be for me as I needed to match some OE front wheels). They also don't have the locating dowels/nubs for mounting a 10 1/8" ID GM poverty style cap (they utilize different caps).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
El Campo

SCOTI has a good eye! You are correct that even wheel vintique does not have the one that matches the OE exactly . For me it's not a deal breaker because it doesnt have to be a perfect match in my case. For others you are out of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
SCOTI has a good eye! You are correct that even wheel vintique does not have the one that matches the OE exactly . For me it's not a deal breaker because it doesnt have to be a perfect match in my case. For others you are out of luck!
Also, verify the hub cap retaining point dimensions if you plan to run OE 64-66 dog dish type truck caps (or 67-87 truck caps or Caprice caps).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
viking427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Stockton Wheel was the only mfr I could find that offered an OE steelie look in a 16" wheel. Unfortunately, last I read, they were no longer in business...
The 6 lug boys have been feeling this pain for a very long time as 15" tires go the way of the dinosaur. The ultra-rare 6 lug factory optional 16" (not 15", not 16.5", not smoothies, not rallys, not clips, not 8 lugs, not...) steel wheels for 68-72 were only 6" wide, limiting your tire choices if you did happen to be lucky enough to have stumbled across a set. Stockton wheel is still in business, just got off the phone with them. They can build a factory stock oem looking 6 lug steel wheel (steelie) in 16x8 ..or other widths.. with the 4 oem appearing "windows" and 4 oem appearing nubs to retain the 1/2 ton 10 1/8" dog dish caps on, powdercoated in white just like original, for about 150/ea. Not outrageous considering zero options in 6 lug factory looking wheels these days.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
The 6 lug boys have been feeling this pain for a very long time as 15" tires go the way of the dinosaur. The ultra-rare 6 lug factory optional 16" (not 15", not 16.5", not smoothies, not rallys, not clips, not 8 lugs, not...) steel wheels for 68-72 were only 6" wide, limiting your tire choices if you did happen to be lucky enough to have stumbled across a set. Stockton wheel is still in business, just got off the phone with them. They can build a factory stock oem looking 6 lug steel wheel (steelie) in 16x8 ..or other widths.. with the 4 oem appearing "windows" and 4 oem appearing nubs to retain the 1/2 ton 10 1/8" dog dish caps on, powdercoated in white just like original, for about 150/ea. Not outrageous considering zero options in 6 lug factory looking wheels these days.
Still in business or 're-opened' under new mgt/ownership? Last I read, the owner notified his employees that they were shutting the doors & then commited suicide that night.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
viking427

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

Their "Series 20" are the blanks they'll use to build them. From my understanding Stockton Wheel did go through some turmoil in the past year or so (any search will pull up the shipping complaints/stories), but they seem to be getting their act together now with an operational web page back up and I know of 1 recent delivery that was delivered on time & up to expectations. I checked with several other hot rod wheel mfrs that couldn't/wouldn't build them. A couple said they could source the 16" outer hoops (rims), but not the larger diameter 6 lug x 5.5 BC centers to weld them to.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
El Campo

On their website it says under new ownership
Posted via Mobile Device
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

Their "Series 20" are the blanks they'll use to build them. From my understanding Stockton Wheel did go through some turmoil in the past year or so (any search will pull up the shipping complaints/stories), but they seem to be getting their act together now with an operational web page back up and I know of 1 recent delivery that was delivered on time & up to expectations. I checked with several other hot rod wheel mfrs that couldn't/wouldn't build them. A couple said they could source the 16" outer hoops (rims), but not the larger diameter 6 lug x 5.5 BC centers to weld them to.
I know Stockton can & has built them because that's where mine came from. But, Stocktons customer service was pathetic. Actually, it was flat-out dishonest....

I waited double over the 4-6wk quote I was given w/excuses after excuses (I recall it was almost 15wks total). The 1st time I checked on the status of my order was @ the end of the 6th week & they couldn't tell me what 'stage' of the build process the wheels were at. Turns out, they hadn't even been started. Very frustrating experience for sure & it didn't need to be. Simple & honest communication of the status or of any delays would have worked for me.

Also, larger diameter centers aren't needed for the 16" hoops. 15" centers can me modified to work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
stomper

Dang! This truck had factory 16" 5 lug wheels. I could have got them for next to nothing. I had a feeling I would regret that.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=463251

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=463247
Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #22
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Stockton Wheel was the only mfr I could find that offered an OE steelie look in a 16" wheel. Unfortunately, last I read, they were no longer in business.

Other companies offer varying offset's & custom widths in 15" OE steelies, but in 16" diameter only offered 'Smoothies' which don't look the same to me & I'm not sure if the dog-dish caps can be utilized.
I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching your threads for some updated pics and can't find any.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching your threads for some updated pics and can't find any.
That's because it got moth balled. Domestic split, relocation, storage issues, plus finishing my dually project. Popular drill for many unfortunately. It's back @ my shop as of mid March & I'm currently working on getting the stainless exhaust finished.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #24
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Keep us posted.
Maybe I missed it, but exactly what are the wheels, backspace, and tires?
Thanks for the update.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Keep us posted.
Maybe I missed it, but exactly what are the wheels, backspace, and tires?
Thanks for the update.
Factory GM 71-87 15x6" fronts w/215/70-15 Radial T/A's.
16x10" rears using the same 71-87 centers. 5.5" back space w/285/60-16 Silvertown/BFG Radial T/A's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG