The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
SCOTI

Non Truck Stereo Speaker ?'s

In our 02 TransAm, the rear sail panel speakers don't seem to like Pantera or FFDP....

The originals lasted several years & then puked. The 1st replacement GM speaker set lasted a couple of years. The 2nd set is now crapped out & these are getting difficult to source.

This is just the complete factory system (monsoon) consisting of the OE head unit, 2 door speakers (separates), the 6x9 sized mid-range sail panel speakers (they're actually a little smaller than 6x9's), & a small sub in the rear hatch area.

But, they tell me I can't just pop in any old 4ohm speaker as these are apparently 2ohm. Readily available stuff isn't easily swapped & I have zero interest of ripping it all out for a new system.

Any suggestions for a quick & painless (labor & cost effective) swap for the sail panel speakers that won't require swapping any of the other equipment?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
mongoose

Re: Non Truck Stereo Speaker ?'s

you can use 4 ohm just do bother sides...

lots of aftermarket run on 2ohms anyways.. as long as if fits it'll work. just be a bit quieter.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
86Burban

Mongoose is spot on. You may also find that if the new speakers have a better sensitivity rating than the ones you are replacing then the sound may be just as good/loud or even better despite possibly being higher ohms than as original. So I would say get the best 6 1/2" 4 ohm speakers your budget can afford if you don't want to dig too far into it.

I believe the monsoon systems in those cars used quite a varied combination depending on vehicle year/model: Combination of 2 and 4 ohm speakers, some being single voice coil and some being dual voice coil speakers (is there 2 each or 4 each wires going to the sail panel speakers?) and the amp filtering some of the speakers as well (like probably the highs are filtered out of those sail panel speakers so the speaker is more of a subwoofer/mid-range driver vice a coaxial)....so you may want to double check/research a bit more to find out for sure what "should" be there if it really matters to ya.

Last edited by 86Burban; 11-23-2011 at 04:52 PM.
86Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Burban View Post
Mongoose is spot on. You may also find that if the new speakers have a better sensitivity rating than the ones you are replacing then the sound may be just as good/loud or even better despite possibly being higher ohms than as original. So I would say get the best 6 1/2" 4 ohm speakers your budget can afford if you don't want to dig too far into it.

I believe the monsoon systems in those cars used quite a varied combination depending on vehicle year/model: Combination of 2 and 4 ohm speakers, some being single voice coil and some being dual voice coil speakers (is there 2 each or 4 each wires going to the sail panel speakers?) and the amp filtering some of the speakers as well (like probably the highs are filtered out of those sail panel speakers so the speaker is more of a subwoofer/mid-range driver vice a coaxial)....so you may want to double check/research a bit more to find out for sure what "should" be there if it really matters to ya.
This is what they are (mid range).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

My Harley came factory with 2ohm speakers (2) and I replaced them with a pair of Polk 4ohm speakers. The sound quality was fantastic.... until you got up to speed. You couldn't hear them. The impedance affects the level of sound coming from the speaker.

Replaced them with Infinity 2ohm speakers and boom! Great sound and ample volume. If you replace a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm it may not be capable of getting loud enough for your taste.

I have the Monsoon system in my '05 Bonneville that has 6.5" separates in the front doors, 5.5" mids in the rear doors and 6"x9"s in the rear deck (might be 5"x8"'s actually). I want to replace the speakers at some point soon so I am curious to see what you end up doing.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
My Harley came factory with 2ohm speakers (2) and I replaced them with a pair of Polk 4ohm speakers. The sound quality was fantastic.... until you got up to speed. You couldn't hear them. The impedance affects the level of sound coming from the speaker.

Replaced them with Infinity 2ohm speakers and boom! Great sound and ample volume. If you replace a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm it may not be capable of getting loud enough for your taste.

I have the Monsoon system in my '05 Bonneville that has 6.5" separates in the front doors, 5.5" mids in the rear doors and 6"x9"s in the rear deck (might be 5"x8"'s actually). I want to replace the speakers at some point soon so I am curious to see what you end up doing.
This sounds like the same set-up as the T/A. I think I'll check into options for other brand 'mids' vs. sourcing more of the GM spec'd units. When I searched previously for alternative replacements, the common caution I received was the different ohm rated speakers would 'work'.... but the sound level would see an impact.
I did mention my No1 music choice is Pantera right?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
john_p

you want your vol back, wire both speakers to one side in parallel,, two 4 ohm speakers in parallel will read 2 ohms.. you lose left to right control unless you add two speakers to the other side as well.. but in that car you may not have room.. it is just an option
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
WAAF
Account Suspended

run a pair of 5.25" in both sides in parallel (2 ohm) those cars are the same 82-02 the area will take a real 6by9 or the 2) 5.25" paired together
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote