The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
bweezy

cooling help

I have a 72 blazer with a 350. It has a new all aluminium radiator,thermostat, water pump and lines. But coolant comes out of the over flow line when I shut down. I think it does it when it running also but can't tell when driving. At first I thought i filled it to much. It stopped for a day so I thought i filled it to much. But it started up again today. It does not over heat I'm thinking of putting some electric fans on. What do the gurus out there think.
Posted via Mobile Device
bweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: cooling help

A few things -Did you eliminate all the air bubbles from the system when you filled it? Turn the heater to hot to flow coolant through heater core too, leave cap off as you idle and rev it slightly i.e. hold it at like 1500 rpms for 20 seconds, then let it settle to idle. You will see the air bubble out as it comes back to idle. You have to do this for awhile to clear the air. Watch your coolant level because it will purge out some as the air pushes out so you will have to add more. When cleared of air, you will need some space for expansion. Don't fill it to the brim leave at least an inch space. Check your coolant temperature right at the radiator to make sure it isn't overheating. If you haven't already do so, invest in a new pressure cap - if it's a new radiator it should be able to handle a 15 lb cap. Check to make sure you aren't losing any coolant via hose clamp areas causing air to get back into the system and your level to go down.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
bweezy

Yes it has a new cap. I'll try what you said tomorrow. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
old man jimmy

sounds like you don't have a burp bottle. If not I would highly suggest you put one on. They're cheap. Don't have to be fancy, a universal one from auto zone does the job. If you want a stock factory one -- you're out of luck. they didn't come with one.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
bweezy

Can you tell me more about this burp bottle. Like where and how to install. And the correct name for when I go buy it. thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Firebirdjones

He's talking about an overflow bottle. If you are going that far then I'd make it a closed system with the proper radiator cap for better cooling efficiency.

Sounds to me though, it's a little too full or you had some trapped air in the system.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
old man jimmy

It'll come with all the instuctions, and a new rad. cap. It just leaks the excess coolant into a jug when you shut down. Then sucks it back into the rad. when you run it. All cars fave been using them for many years.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
bweezy

Looks like it had air bubbles, it bubbled over a few times then poured out steady. Made a mess but nothing coming out the over flow so far. Thanks for all the help. I may look into the over flow tank in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
BLUE THUNDER

Yup, you need to purge the air put of the cooling system and need to get an overflow bottle. If you can't wIt to get one a temporary fix is a hole through the cap of a 2 liter bottle and running the hose through it.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
bweezy

I have stock temp gauge and the needle will go all the way to the inside of the h then drop and stay inbetween the two white lines. Is this normal. and what are the actual temps in these areas. I think I'm going to replace the temp switch this weekend to make sure I'm getting the correct readings.
Posted via Mobile Device