The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Seraph

72 Drum Brake Question

Hey guys,
I have a 72 c-10 that i did a 6.5 diesel swap. The motor is running and everything is working great except the driver side rear drum. When I press on the brake pedal the shoes seem to unseat and will not release, so they sit there and drag on the hub. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I have inspected everything and it seems to be in good order. Also this has a hydro boost system on it. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: 72 Drum Brake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Hey guys,
I have a 72 c-10 that i did a 6.5 diesel swap. The motor is running and everything is working great except the driver side rear drum. When I press on the brake pedal the shoes seem to unseat and will not release, so they sit there and drag on the hub. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I have inspected everything and it seems to be in good order. Also this has a hydro boost system on it. Thanks everyone!
Assumint that by "unseat" you mean that the shoes expand and than don't retract properly. First thing is to check all the mechanical springs and/or anything that may cause it to bind then replace the rear rubber brake hose. Should be on the passenger side axle shaft.

Happened to me about 15 yrs ago. The hose swells internally allowing fluid under pressure to expand the brake shoes but the spring tension is not enough to allow it to retract because of the restricted flow on the rubber hose.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote