The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
JORGIE95961

Im not gonna lie, im freakin out...!!

Been working on my truck since febuary of last year.. and im getting pretty close on finishing up the body work... a few things come to mind.. how good is my body work gonna look if i decide to do orannge and BLACK? should i cut holes for installing a factory ac, am i gonna regret not going with moldings? my biggest concern I honestly belive my biggest fear is goin with a black on the bottom and an orange on top.. this truck started out pretty rough.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447690
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
domeier

Re: Im not gonna lie, im freakin out...!!

You should be freaking out. Paint choice is almost like getting a tattoo. You better be sure about the color and scheme, 'cause it's gonna be with you a long time.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
domeier

That reminds me: I know a guy who wrenches some super-super-rich dude's private airliner, and the rich dude decided he wanted it repainted. He paid a high dollar Italian artiste type to design a scheme, and had it painted that way. Hundreds of gallons of paint later, it was done... and it looked like a giant banana. Meanwhile, one of the pilots had made a sketch of a simple white with blue stripe scheme, so rich dude had the whole damn thing stripped and repainted with the pilot's (free) design.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Freaking out is the only way to get things done how you want it. If you werent freaking out...that's when I'd be worried.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
That reminds me: I know a guy who wrenches some super-super-rich dude's private airliner, and the rich dude decided he wanted it repainted. He paid a high dollar Italian artiste type to design a scheme, and had it painted that way. Hundreds of gallons of paint later, it was done... and it looked like a giant banana. Meanwhile, one of the pilots had made a sketch of a simple white with blue stripe scheme, so rich dude had the whole damn thing stripped and repainted with the pilot's (free) design.
Which reminds me....If you dont like it, redo it! Its just cash. What are you gonna do with it anyway? Leave it to your kids?

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
71gmcburb

if you paint it black remember that black is a transperent paint not an opaque paint. so any flaws in tha prep work will show threw. I would advise you to prime the entire truck with a high build primer then wetsand the truck with at least 6000 grit the higher the better going in a front to back horizontal direction (orbital sanding marks are much easier see then strait lines going front to back) on any areas that you paint black so any sanding lines left over will disapeir into the background

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcburb View Post
if you paint it black remember that black is a transperent paint not an opaque paint. so any flaws in tha prep work will show threw. I would advise you to prime the entire truck with a high build primer then wetsand the truck with at least 6000 grit the higher the better going in a front to back horizontal direction (orbital sanding marks are much easier see then strait lines going front to back) on any areas that you paint black so any sanding lines left over will disapeir into the background
YEAH I PLANING ON SPRAYING THE ENTIRE THING WITH AT LEAST 3 COATS OF UPOL HIGH BUILD , BLOCKING THEN SHOOTING ONE MORE AND BLOCKING WITH IM NOT SURE YET...

Do I realy wantto wetsand my highbuild? and 6000 grit? not 600 maybe.. 6000 has to be super slick..
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote