The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
apache200

Motor Help!!

I am thinking of buying a 02 5.3 engine for my 55 stepside. I want to know what all do I need to get with the motor. I am going to be putting in a 79 trans am subframe. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
azsnow

Re: Motor Help!!

Depends on if you plan on using the fuel injection or not. There is a place in Tenn. where you can get almost brand new 5.3/6.0L motors with FI system and complete wiring harness/computer for around $1200
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
apache200

I want to go fuel injection and I have found a good deal on a 5.3 with harness and comptuer. Is that all I need to get started with the swap?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
yossarian19

You'll need a fuel pump / tank solution, too. These old trucks have mechanical fuel pumps mounted to the engine, remember - so a modern EFI swap is going to need a moden EFI pump mounted somewhere. Could go external to the tank & plumb it to the current line, maybe, though that isn't without its downsides.
I don't know where the 5.3 engine mounts its crankshaft position sensor. On some Toyota engines it is bolted to the front of the engine. Others, the CPS is mounted to the bell housing of the transmission or therabouts. Make sure you know where it is & plan accordingly.
May as well get the 02 sensor package & exhaust too if it is available.
The transmission.
Axles.

If you can buy the truck it is / was in, that would help.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
yossarian19

Also -
Check and verify, but I think the 5.3 is a drive by wire engine. You'll either need a mechanical throttle body or the gas pedal assembly.

It also uses electric gauges so do some home work on what it will take to either retro the modern type gauges to work in your dash or the old gauges to the new drivetrain. Either way, there is going to be some work involved.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
apache200

thanks for the help. i am going to do some more research before I buy it.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Get everything you can with the engine the wiring harness for the engine and trans. If the engine is drive by wire and you plan to use it make sure you get the gas pedal and tac (newer models don't have a tac its in the ecm). If you don't want the drive by wire you can switch it to a cable driven throttle body.

From my experience you will also have to decide on a oil pan. The truck oil pan is too deep and it most likely will hang below your crossmember it you are lowering your truck this is a real issue. I used the fbody oil pan, pick tube, windage tray, and dip stick and it works great for my installation.

The great thing about this site is that someone on here is doing what you are doing so there is no need to re-invent the wheel.lol There are a lot of guys doing this swap so just keeping asking questions as you go through with your build. Also check out ls1tech.com lots of information about this engine there. You should also pick up a copy of this book its called How to Swap GM LS-Series Engines into Almost Anything its a great resource before and after you buy your engine.

Good luck with your plans

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote