The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

Circus wagon Jim, gone again?

Has anybody heard from him lately? I think the last I saw was he was moving to Tx for a job and selling off some parts.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: Circus wagon Jim, gone again?

I saw him during the Summer twice. He's working for a rod shop in Austin.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
57larry

have not heard anything about him, he sure had some bad luck
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
CircusWagonJim

Bad luck doesn't even BEGIN to describe the last decade!
Let me give the Cliff's Notes version-
I began my professional career as an Electrical Engineer and after a few decent years the entire industry dried up and moved it's repair work out of the country. I bounced arounf at a few different tings from Ferrari restoration to forklift repair- none of it very inspiring.
1999 brought the big change when I started something totally different as an Associate Editor at Sport Truck magazine. I tried to bring some fun to a world I wasn't very excited about since smoothed out show trucks to me were TOTALLY useless! So the CIRCUS WAGON was born when I need some cheap transportation in the form of some truck parts destined to be recycled from my good friend's tow yard. Sport Truck was fun for a brief time until they fired my good friend and boss Kevin Lee for no reason. It made me mad enough to quit shortly after.
I bounced a little more until the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association hired me as editor of their magazine. Another 3 years of fun and travel followed until Rod & Custom Magazine made me an offer I couldn' refuse. I took my ultimate dream job and very shortly after Kevin Lee left Classic Trucks magazine and joined me at Rod & Custom. All seemed right again in the world. We were again making some really great magazines and then they counted some pennies and gave my job to someone who would work for half what they offered me originally. A couple years later they let Kevin go again without warning or anything wrong with the magazine.
I decided to make a change and opened a franchise store for SO-CAL Speed Shop- problem was 6 months later the U.S. economy too a complete S#!T!!! I struggled through 3 years loosing money- and ended up closing the SO-CAL and getting divorced after 20-plus years. This time I had ABSOLUTELY nothing but the clothes on my back. A year later I worked a few months for SO-CAL taking stuff on the road and that's the last I checked in here. When I was done with my 9 week trip for SO-CAL I went for a simple check up because I wasn't feeling well. All the stress has lest me with about 20% of the normal ammount of blood in my body. I was actually on the way to my new job in Texas and had to spend a week in the hospital getting transfussions. I hit the Austin area in May right as the triple digit record heat wave started. For the last 9 months I have been working at Cimtex Rods and really enjoying it. I had put all projects on hold until today! Just bought one of my dream cars- a 2-Wheel Drive Blazer! It's not an early one, but a 1980. I've wanted one of these since a couple guys that worked at my local Chevy dealer each had a tricked out new '77- one was white and the other one black. I'll be writing about it in the proper forum. Thanks guys for always remembering me- it really means A LOT! Thanks Circus Wagon Jim Aust
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
DaBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusWagonJim View Post
Bad luck doesn't even BEGIN to describe the last decade!
Let me give the Cliff's Notes version-
I began my professional career as an Electrical Engineer and after a few decent years the entire industry dried up and moved it's repair work out of the country. I bounced arounf at a few different tings from Ferrari restoration to forklift repair- none of it very inspiring.
1999 brought the big change when I started something totally different as an Associate Editor at Sport Truck magazine. I tried to bring some fun to a world I wasn't very excited about since smoothed out show trucks to me were TOTALLY useless! So the CIRCUS WAGON was born when I need some cheap transportation in the form of some truck parts destined to be recycled from my good friend's tow yard. Sport Truck was fun for a brief time until they fired my good friend and boss Kevin Lee for no reason. It made me mad enough to quit shortly after.
I bounced a little more until the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association hired me as editor of their magazine. Another 3 years of fun and travel followed until Rod & Custom Magazine made me an offer I couldn' refuse. I took my ultimate dream job and very shortly after Kevin Lee left Classic Trucks magazine and joined me at Rod & Custom. All seemed right again in the world. We were again making some really great magazines and then they counted some pennies and gave my job to someone who would work for half what they offered me originally. A couple years later they let Kevin go again without warning or anything wrong with the magazine.
I decided to make a change and opened a franchise store for SO-CAL Speed Shop- problem was 6 months later the U.S. economy too a complete S#!T!!! I struggled through 3 years loosing money- and ended up closing the SO-CAL and getting divorced after 20-plus years. This time I had ABSOLUTELY nothing but the clothes on my back. A year later I worked a few months for SO-CAL taking stuff on the road and that's the last I checked in here. When I was done with my 9 week trip for SO-CAL I went for a simple check up because I wasn't feeling well. All the stress has lest me with about 20% of the normal ammount of blood in my body. I was actually on the way to my new job in Texas and had to spend a week in the hospital getting transfussions. I hit the Austin area in May right as the triple digit record heat wave started. For the last 9 months I have been working at Cimtex Rods and really enjoying it. I had put all projects on hold until today! Just bought one of my dream cars- a 2-Wheel Drive Blazer! It's not an early one, but a 1980. I've wanted one of these since a couple guys that worked at my local Chevy dealer each had a tricked out new '77- one was white and the other one black. I'll be writing about it in the proper forum. Thanks guys for always remembering me- it really means A LOT! Thanks Circus Wagon Jim Aust
Jim! Great to see you pop up! I'm hoping some good things are happening for you. Sounds like it's overdue! If you get a chance, pop on over to The Lounge too.

Rick
aka DKK Rick
DaBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Good to hear you have something going on. And,especially glad to hear you are back to good health. I see a lot of good fortune between the bad in your cliff notes version. It may help you to know you're not alone. Many people's worlds have been turned upside down and a better life,or even what was considered not that great prior to '06,is long over due. I know my expenses have multiplied while my income has been grossly divided to the point I shouldn't even be thinking of putting together a truck. I'd like to say as long as there's blood pumping in my body I will be doing what I've done all my adult life. It's moving a whole lot slower,even hard to detect,but I haven't given up hope yet. It's what I am.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
STP67-72

Good luck Jim. You are working for a couple of great guys. Nice shop and people.
68 Chevy swb fleet (Lola)
68 Chevy swb fleet
71 Chevy swb fleet ( future PB project)

97 crew cab power stroke
07 SS Trail blazer
STP67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Glad to see you back here on the board.
I'm a sucker for any 2wd blazer or 2wd (2dr) tahoe.
I'll be looking for future posts from you.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
CircusWagonJim

Here are some pics Itook yesterday of the Tahoe we just finished for my friend who bought the Circus wagon from me 10 years ago. It was a totally stock 39K mile unit. We lowered it, took off the trim and changed the bumpers. The board should note the custom narrowed rear bumper.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

That rear bumper looks great.
I assume it's a narrowed fleetside bumper?
(would a stepside bumper be wide enough?)

We need some drop specs and wheel and tire specs please.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Lee H

Glad to see you post again. seems your bouncing back nicely. Love Austin. I spent the last 5 years commuting there each week from SoCal. I worked for TxDOT putting in toll roads around Texas. Now I'm back in SoCal full time.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
CircusWagonJim

The drop started with a Belltech 4/6 drop. It was of course not low enough. Cut half a coil up front and added 2-inch blocks in the rear to get the current stance with a 5/8 drop. The wheels are from Schott- first set in this design. 17 & 18-inch with a bruched finish with a clear coat.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Scottshotrods

Glad you are doing better my friend

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
C/10 King

Jim, every time I see a 67-68 "broke back buddy" seat I think of you , take care and don't be a stranger to this side of the forum.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Shyguy

Glad things are getting better for you.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Low Elco

You and John Gilbert need to be back in the game again! I enjoyed your takes on the scene. But I bet you've had your belly full of that biz, I can relate. Glad to see things are looking up, and hope they continue for you.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
CircusWagonJim

Would love to be in the magazine biz, but it keeps getting smaller (and crappier) as the internet broadens.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
darkhorse970

Its good to see you back on here Jim.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

The whole Tahoe looks super clean fantastic. But,that rear bumper sets it off into it's own world...in a classy and subtle way (and I like that!). I like how it bring the old into the new(er) without jumping out atcha. Great color to start with,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
70cst

Glad to have you back and nice looking ride

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Glad to see you back and doing well. If you ever.. ever... get in a place like that again.. you need to open up and let folks around here in. Glad your feeling better.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
50bomb

God bless you!!! Don't give up ever BROTHER!!!! Its good we go through tough times even though it seems like HELL!!! Just keep on a looking up and stay strong!!!
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
CircusWagonJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Glad to see you back and doing well. If you ever.. ever... get in a place like that again.. you need to open up and let folks around here in. Glad your feeling better.
Thanks Liz! You never think things are going to be bad for very long- and then when they got worse you just don't talk about it. Glad to have the support even though I've been quiet for a while. I know truck people have always been my friends- Thanks so much!!! Jim
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #24
CircusWagonJim

Well, my new project 1980 two-wheel drive Blazer showed up today. Super excited! Now that you mentioned it Liz, I could use some help with parts if anyone is looking to get rid of any cheap I can pick-up in Central Texas. I don't normally ask for favors, but I'm trying to get back home to be near my 2 daughters before they grow up and off on their own- one is 17 and the other 15. I was with them everyday until 2 years ago when the business and marriage collapsed. After that I just had to pick up the pieces and eventually move to Texas just to keep myself working- only seen them 4 times in the last 2 years. I need to fix up this Blazer to drive back home in March to see them. They are so excited about the prospect- now I have to make sure I don't let them down.

Stuff I would like to find-
Straight hood
pair of usable 275/70R15 tires
Engine parts (350 motor mounts, stock aircleaner, alternator, water pump)
Rear Bumper ('80 & older style)
Any useable red interior parts like dash pad, door panels, carpet, window trim, visors
Uncut cluster panel
Stock AM/FM radio
Rear Tailgate handle

Thanks for any help on these parts, Jim
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #25
sanford66

Good to see you back. I have a perfect hood out back i would let you have if you were closer. Good luck with your Blazer, the 2-wheel drives are hard to find in the square body years! Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote