The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
69Steppin'

My New Ride

Picked this up in exchange for some work I completed on a house. I am a contractor in Texas. Have dreamed of this truck since I was 14... 15 years later and I am driving it. Never restored a vehicle but looking forward to trying with the help of you guys! Thanks in advance!

I am trying to make a plan of items to do in what order etc... daunting task for a rookie. It is an inline 6 with 3 on the tree. Would like to go with a 350 setup. Mainly cruising with some power and rumble is my goal. Trying to name her... having trouble

My money tree needs fertilizer so I am also trying to plan in accordance with small projects to keep it running for as much as I can then tear down at the end for paint... is that realistic plan?
Attached Images

69Steppin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
black_sheep454

Re: My New Ride

Welcome, and looks like a really nice start to an awesome truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
YBNORML

Sweet little truck, lots of potential. Small steps are definately the way to do it. Especially if you are relatively new to this.
OH, and WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Any possible question can be answered here. It's an invaluable place to hangout.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
mightymouse

nice truck. sounds like a good plan. i live in Crowley maybe ill see it going down the road someday. good luck ..johnny
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
69Steppin'

Thanks for the welcome guys!

mightymouse - it is a small world. Hopefully we will cross paths at some point...

I have taken the wood bed out and that is the only thing I have done so far and cut the Harley Sticker that was stiched into the seat... I am trying to do my research on a new wiring kit as I think that is where I will start. The truck won't pass inspection due to major electrical issues no turn signals etc.... Oh yeah and some new brake lights that match, a passenger door handle, and maybe a radio that fits in the dash... It is the little things to start or so it seems!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
john_p

my angle brackets had 50 or more rivets so i cut those out.. new chrome ones are not that bad.. don't faint if you price new bed screws.. if you are a woodworker or know a good one you can save hundreds cutting your own bed wood.. you started with a little sweetheart.. i could have fell in love with that one too.. welcome to the forum,, i have the 6 and 3 on the tree,, keeping it and taking it up to 300 hp or so, sort of old school..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
70cst

Hey 69Steppin' ... to and from Ohio on getting your ride...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
mud.man.rj

Het 69steppin, nice truck to start with, looks like a great project.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
69Steppin'

Browsing around here and seems disc brakes on the front converting to 5 on 5 is the way to go... If I am wrong stop me now! I found on localCL a 72 rearend for $200. Is that a deal and is that a needed part once the front disc conversion takes place?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
OARNGESI

really nice 200 seems on the upper side of fair
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
SCOTI

$200 is about avg price around here for a 5-lug rear end. They can be found for cheaper. For the front disc swap, include 73-87 trucks during your search.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Central Florida! Dam fine truck you have there. Don't try to name it, given time it will name itself. Trust me on that.
This forum is pricless...spend the $25 so you can buy and sell parts here, best $ you will spend on your truck!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Bennett68C10

Wow nice looking truck

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
chopnchaneled

Welcome from another stepside lover, that went astray and wanting to come back.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
Bert W

Nice 69! I like the red bowtie emblem on the hood. I did that to a couple of the 72s I used to own. You have a great canvas to work with. I noticed it's a stepper with one of the "Sportsliner" bumpers that folks have been posting about here on the board. Weren't all the others fleetsides? Anyway welcome aboard!
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
69Steppin'

Got some work done tonight thanks to the motivation around here. You guys are animals when it comes to this stuff. I was by myself in the garage with some steel wool, sand paper, CLR, and elbow grease. The last guy must have painted over the 40 years of grime that was stuck to some of the frame pieces. Not sure but seems the rust isn't too bad that I sanded down. Let me know if you guys agree. Thanks!

I think I am going to order my new wiring harness tomorrow. About made the decision to go with the AAW kit. Been browsing all the options but seems most reviewers love this one. There are definately others that can be had cheaper so I am guessing the cost is in the connectors etc.??
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
69Steppin'

Did a little more grinding and then a little frame paint via rattle can... On the rust spots on a frame should they be sanded smooth or just the rust removed and then painted?? Mine looks like a 16 year old acne pot holes... shallow but definately not smooth. Thanks again guys!
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Looks like you're on the right track and have a great baseline to start with! Given it's your 1st time doing a restoration, the AWW kit is a good choice. It is more expensive than most, but that's because it's the most complete "plug and play" kit out there. If electircal isn't your thing, it can be a little overwhelming, but take your time, lay it all out and follow the instructions carefully and you should be fine. It took me a full weekend to do mine with the painless kit.

Welcome to the board!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
69Steppin'

Thanks for the welcome Tubbed.

I am not an electrician by any means so I think the AAW kit is definately for me from the sounds of everyone's comments. Is it smart to do the rewire BEFORE you do an engine or transmission swap or will it have to be done again after that is done? Trying to make sure I don't do the same thing more than once.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
tubbedII
needs more $$$

It probably depends on how far you tear apart the front end. If you plan on removing the radiator support, you could wait to do the engine bay harness until after the swap, but if you only plan to pull the motor and keep everything else in tact, I don't think you'd be doing any harm going forward with prior to the swap. A lot of the wires from the firewall route to the radiator support. Even with that though, the engine bay harness is pretty simple and wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have to "re-do".
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #21
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Hello neighbor! welcome to the board, yea I know I dont have a 67-72 truck but I like to learn about all trucks, Im right up the road north side of Burleson.

I will agree with the AAW harness, Ive done a couple "universal" harnesses and although they were cheap and worked, not overly happy with the fit and finish, mostly my fault.

I will also agree with one poster about the bed wood. find you a wood worker/cabinet maker and bring him the wood, have him cut and plain it to the right size and thickness, then stain/clear. it will be half the cost of the wood companies you see here and you can do it on your time.

Good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
R.L.

Man thats a good looking truck, congratulations on that and welcome to the fourm. I painted my engine bay and you wont to do that with the engine out you probably know that but after I did mine the hard way I just wonted to add that. Drive it as much as possible don't do too much too fast and fall out of love with it and keep it for years to come, you wonted that since you were a kid; well you made it! Enjoy.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #23
69Steppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Hello neighbor! welcome to the board, yea I know I dont have a 67-72 truck but I like to learn about all trucks, Im right up the road north side of Burleson.

I will agree with the AAW harness, Ive done a couple "universal" harnesses and although they were cheap and worked, not overly happy with the fit and finish, mostly my fault.

I will also agree with one poster about the bed wood. find you a wood worker/cabinet maker and bring him the wood, have him cut and plain it to the right size and thickness, then stain/clear. it will be half the cost of the wood companies you see here and you can do it on your time.

Good luck!
Small world!!! I grew up in Burleson.

Thanks for the advise from everyone. I did some more frame rust sanding today... lots of surface rust that didn't bug the PO I guess...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #24
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Very nice truck... I always like the step sides... Maybe you should put your Contractors logo on the door....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #25
69Steppin'

Some progress today and a pic from the parade that I drove the truck in last week. When you said the contracting thing on the door I thought about these pics. Ya'll will hopefully appreciate them lol... It was the first parade for me and my ride. Have to admit it is cool to have fellas telling you nice ride, etc. as you roll by!
Attached Images