The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
JDs1963

Just some shifter ideas...

Has anyone that yal know of ever ran a dual stick shifter on a three speed in the floor? It would be fairly easy to do...have one shifter attached to your 2nd and 3rd gear shift rod on side if trans and another on the reverse-1st. It would eliminate all your shift linkage rods...what do yal think? Wouldn't be used as a hot rod just a drive around town truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
JDs1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Just some shifter ideas...

I think the old Ramblers had just such a set up. They called it a Twin Stick. The other lever might have been used to engage the overdrive though. I have seen them years ago but never drove one or knew anyone that owned a Twin Stick Rambler. Hopefully an old timer can chime in and set the record straight on this one.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
MOTOIMPAIRED

I had a gentleman call me lat night for a door I'm selling and he said he has already done it. Sounds cool, I need to get over to his house sometime and check it out...
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
oldtrux

years ago a buddy of mine had an old ford van with a two stick on the floor.it was a blast to drive!brings back memories
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
JDs1963

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work well....and it would definitely look cool. You think the shifter throw would be too far?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
slorio

JD:
Forgive me for being a naysayer here, but if you accidentally left the first shifter in first while you shifted the second shifter into second, I believe the result would be a blown transmission. I believe there is a good reason for not having such a set up.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
oldtrux

certainly have to take it out of gear before you take on another but still a hoot to drive!
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
JDs1963

Very good point...any body used a Mr.gasket 3speed shifter? They are pretty cheap, just wondering how they perform...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
clemdaddy

bought a 66 a few years back that the guy rigged up a 2 shifter system. he used lawnmower blades welded to the trans shifter shafts. had a big hole in the floor. it also had a huge hole in the firewall so the HEI would fit. i'm not saying 2 shifters is a bad idea... just that this guy didn't have a clue.

seemed dangerous but well ventilated. lol
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDs1963 View Post
Very good point...any body used a Mr.gasket 3speed shifter? They are pretty cheap, just wondering how they perform...
Posted via Mobile Device
My personal opinion is that they are trash. Hurst has a master shift 3 that holds to the Hurst name and quality...but also double the price of the Mr. Gasket. My opinion is that you'll pay for what you get with these shifters. Had a Mr. Gasket a couple of years ago on another 63 and had constant problems. Had several buddies try to adjust the linkage, and a trans shop...the consensus was cheap shifter = problems.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDs1963 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got one and it is junk...
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Montana54

I made this 3 stick set up for my 4 speed, loved it! had them for about a year then i had to rebuild the tranny and someone gave me a new hurst shifter so i took the slapsticks out. A lot of fun goin through the gears once you get the hang of it, I liked them better then the hurst. also keep in mind you still need stops as to not over shift and break a fork in the trans.
Attached Images

Montana54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I had a Hurst Mastershift in my 1983 C10 and it worked just fine. If the Hurst 3 speed shifter has a stainless steel dust cover under the shifter, it should be a reasonably decent shifter. If you’re shopping for a used shifter, don’t rely on what the stick says, since an Indy stick could be bolted to a Hurst shifter or the other way around.

Indy shifters are basically not worth buying. They aren’t any better than the old Plymouth Valiant shifters, simply a pair of arms that hang down with a handle in between. A pin on the bottom of the handle moves left and right to pick up a hole in one or the other arm, and can easily bind up or get stuck in both arms, or miss both arms. These shifters offer no protection for the transmission. Picking up both arms at the same time can shift the transmission into two gears at once, causing gear breakage.

Here are some current Ebay offerings that show the difference between a Mastershift and an Indy shifter. Here’s a Mastershift. This actually looks like a shifter and shows the dust cover underneath and stop bolts for shift travel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HURST-SH...item336da5afce

And here are some Indy shifters, which seem very similar to the Mr. Gasket shifters. These are very crude and basically just a box of parts that offer virtually no transmission protecting technology:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-Indy-M...item43abb9dc1f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hurst-In...item19ca6d5877

IMHO The best 3 speed shifter ever offered was the 1960’s vintage Hurst Synchro Loc with a spring loaded gate inside the mechanism. Occasionally these are offered on Ebay, but as a collector item they can be very costly. They went away decades ago when 4 speed transmissions took over in popularity and 3 speed transmissions were no longer considered cool.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
JDs1963

Thanks for all the help and info everybody
Posted via Mobile Device