The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
jocko

splain this to me please... Nice 72 Super on ebay, I have some questions

Not my truck. Nice Cheyenne - looks almost just like one I had in high school a long, LONG time ago. Here's my question - the VIN on the SPID and the VIN/GVWR tag match, and I can make out Cheyenne Super Equipment on the SPID, but seems a lot of work would need to have been done to make the interior look so much like NOT a Super...

May be someone's truck on here - and I'm not complaining, I think this is a beautiful truck!!! But I would love to know the story behind the interior -

Black painted glove box
No woodgrain on either dash or glovebox
No woodgrain on the door panels
It does have houndstooth (but I thought a red/white cheyenne super came with Parchment (white/black houndstooth)??

Just curious - looks really nice - and the engine compartment is sweet, etc, seems odd the interior would be outfitted like it is - UNLESS, it somehow came that way - is that possible?? (I guess that's my real question).

If it's not original, that's just fine too, but it's a nice ride and am curious about the lineage of the interior or if somehow it's failry original.
Oh yeah - it's listed as a "GMC Cheyenne" Hmmmmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...317e7441#v4-42
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: splain this to me please... Nice 72 Super on ebay, I have some questions

Doesn't look like the seller is too well versed in these trucks.

Regardless, Very nice truck if it sells for the bidded price.
(a bit over $5,000 at this point).

I thought the GMC version was the Sierra Grande, but don't
know a lot about them so it's my personal guess.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more info. Without bashing!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
jocko

yep -correct GMC equiv is Sierra Grande. Am guessing the GMC in the ad title is just a mistake, maybe he meant GM, or whatever. Note the reserve is not met, so it won't sell at the current price. Curious what the actual reserve is though! It is a nice truck, just hoping to crack the code on the interior!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

GMC and Cheyenne in the title will "tag" both names when using the search feature with ebay.
I've seen Ford trucks listed with "not Chevy" in the title,... to get their trucks found by people looking for a Chevy truck.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
jocko

aha! Probably exactly what happened - thanks lolife. Now about that interior...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Since it's been repainted, they likely just left off the woodgrain panels, got a new dash bezel, and cleaned up the glovebox door. Many people (not me) don't like woodgrain on the interior. Also, it's rather expensive to find NOS woodgrain (1500-2K+++ if you can even find them for everything and it's only way for it to look factory) or CSM panels (650 to restore your existing stuff)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I'd say the same thing. The woodgrain was eliminated for whatever reason. It's not a readily available replacement for the general public,expensive to do right,usually doesn't survive well,and many don't like fake wood. I took mine out because I didn't like the woodgrain with blue. I really like the scrolled western saddle-style in a "Cheyenne",being a western theme. I also recovered my seat with the scrolled vinyl cuz it matches and I like that better than houndstooth for comfort "and" houndstooth is British...kinda cashes with the whole western theme

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Bert W

It could be a simple matter of contrast. Some folks don't want an acre of orange paint. He may have just alternated the black and orange until he liked the combination.
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
rsavage

Very nicely done truck. If it were mine, I'd have a reserve of at least $15,000 on it.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Bill72

SPID says interior was parchment, so that was changed. Back in the day you could order these how ever you wanted and GM would pretty much build it. So to answer the question yes it could have come like this with respect to interior colors.
Also, SPID lists Cheyenne Super YE9 but also Cheyenne Z84. Makes you wonder if it got some woodgrain but not all. As stated previously probably went without due to repop Super parts aren't all that great. Door panels were changed from parchment to black and I've heard the repos don't accept the original woodgrain door panels very well so that might be why they were left off.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

As said before, tough to find woodgrain pieces that look very good for a restoration, so it was probably replaced. Mine only has the bezel and glove box still woodgrain after the rest of the interior was reupholstered, but they look a little rough. I'm batting around the idea of doing a "real wood" theme someday, maybe mahogany...with a dark stain to contrast my yellow.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
BLK96

To add to the confusion, my 72 Cheyenne Super was bought new by my parents, I was with them (all of 7 yrs old). My dad wanted posi-trac rear axle, this one loaded except for big-block, tilt, FM and posi. The dealer had my dad bring the truck back the next day and they traded entire rear axle assy with another new one on the lot. Think THAT would ever happen now??
BLK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK96 View Post
To add to the confusion, my 72 Cheyenne Super was bought new by my parents, I was with them (all of 7 yrs old). My dad wanted posi-trac rear axle, this one loaded except for big-block, tilt, FM and posi. The dealer had my dad bring the truck back the next day and they traded entire rear axle assy with another new one on the lot. Think THAT would ever happen now??
No,but think about that. Now there's a truck with Posi on the SPID but actually left the lot "brand new" as an open diff. Then,your dad's truck doesn't have Posi on the SPID,yet has a factory installed Posi..."since new".

Those "cheapo repo" door panels LMC sells don't accept the stainless trim. Those are obviously GM door panels. The interior was changed to suit the owner in the process of restoration,that's all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
BLK96

Yep factory Eaton posi unit not on SPID, better than the other truck's outcome
Posted via Mobile Device
BLK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
sameyrasmea72

That's the 1st time I've seen cheyenne super equipment and cheyenne equipment on the same spid. And I can't recall seeing body side molding and belt molding listed on a cheyenne super since they are standard on a super.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That is interesting,but I have seen stuff like that before. I just checked my K2500 Sierra and it has Chrome Hubcaps listed,which all Sierras came with

Tim

Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
That's the 1st time I've seen cheyenne super equipment and cheyenne equipment on the same spid. And I can't recall seeing body side molding and belt molding listed on a cheyenne super since they are standard on a super.
Hey thanks for all the input! I agree sameyrasmea72, the combo is odd, but i think it's safe to say it's a real Super. Hard to fake the patina on that SPID! So glad he didn't do one of the reprint ones... Just me, but when buying, I don't trust those unless the scraped/destroyed original comes in a scrapbook.

In the end, I am NOT hardover on wanting woodgrain super interior (I do like it), but I had a Cheyenne 10 some 25 yrs ago, and enjoyed my acre of orange just fine and dandy - and I do kinda prefer the black instrument bezel. So, maybe this is right up my alley! Hey, whoever mentioned a reserve of 15K... I hope the owner doesn't see that! (he's porobably lurking on this thread laughing at us all!) Btw, I did contact owner, and he was very helpful and friendly - seemed like a good guy. Didn't have an answer other than it's been that way ever since he got it quite some years ago. Thanks again all.