The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
djgj74

1950 truck

I may have over looked it but I am wondering on getting a title for a 1950 Chevy truck Im looking at buying I live in missourri and wondering is it a pain or does someone have one? Any help would be awesome thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
djgj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1950 truck

Go to the Missouri dmv site and see what they require.

Then if you don't get the info you need, make a trip to the Missouri dmv, or who ever you do your car licensing through and check and find out exactly what you need before proceeding.

Here is what I found with a quick search.

I just bought a vehicle, and the seller did not provide me with a properly assigned title. What can I do?

Missouri law requires that a motor vehicle must be titled before it is either registered for highway use or transferred to another individual. If you do not have a properly assigned title (or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin), you have no clear legal right to the vehicle.

If you did not receive a properly assigned ownership document (e.g., certificate of title) at the time of purchase, and the seller is not available to make proper assignment, you may contact your local circuit court to inquire about how to obtain a declaratory judgment (court order). The declaratory judgment would award ownership of the vehicle, so that you may apply for title in your name.

One suggestion, if you do buy the truck get things figured out before you start working on it and spend any money on it. If it has the original engine in it don't get rid of that block no matter what shape it's in until you have a clear title to the truck in your possession with your name on it.
That is because many states used the engine number as the vin number up into the mid 50's and maybe later and that will be the vin number that they want.

It must be Sunday morning as every Sunday morning all the truck and hot rod boards are inundated with "how do I title a vehicle with no title" questions.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
djgj74

Thanks for the advice! I know what I am wanting but not for sure how to get it. That is why I was asking the best way to go about this thanks again for the info!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
djgj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
LEEVON

There are a few forums where you can find "historical documents". Personally, if I was in your situation I would search for another truck that was junk but had a title...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
RootBeer 6117

I can tell you from personal experience, I have had the head of the state MVI come and talk to my class and got it straight from him it didn't matter how old the truck/car is if you don't have a title you don't own it.You will have to find a judge to sign a abandoned vehicle form or the the family of the person that's name is on the title to sign the form and still might have to get a judge to sign off on it.I know from first hand experience you don't take it to a MO license bureau in Jeff City Mo. and tell them you lost the title they will find out who tho owner is in 15 minutes or less and it ain't you. In Mizzery it isn't easy to do,but after hearing how bad vehicle theft was and all the ways the thieves figure out how to run scams its understandable why its to hard to do.The bad guys make it hard on the good guys.
One other thing to be careful of is if you swap engines of frames, if they want to be jack___ they can run the numbers on those and see if you have the titles or not.

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 12-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
There are a few forums where you can find "historical documents".
If you're talking about the HAMB, they stopped allowing those sales a couple months ago. The ones that are on there now were "grandfathered" in and left up, the last that I looked, but there's a sticky that says "no more, it's over."

I don't know about MO, but in VA if you know a licensed repair shop owner, he can apply for a mechanics lien and get a title legally after a DMV search. I've done it and it takes just over a week and cost me $54.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
RootBeer 6117

[I don't know about MO, but in VA if you know a licensed repair shop owner, he can apply for a mechanics lien and get a title legally after a DMV search. I've done it and it takes just over a week and cost me $54.[/QUOTE]

In MO after 90 days a repair shop/towing company can file a lien and get the title but the in order to license the vehicle you have to take it to the highway patrol and have it inspected which means if you changed an engine,transmission or frame you have to have all documentation and copies of titles to said parts or they are stolen and you are in possession of stolen parts till proven other wise, its a real pain.Sometimes I feel like in this state they see it as if you don't have a title you stole it, thats the way you feel after talking to the state MVI folks.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote