The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
ZUBZ

First time start - 70 c10 - What to do first?

Hi All

I have purchased my first c10 and it has been standing for a few years, I would say between 5years and maybe a bit more, owner is not really sure.

Once I have it towed home what should I do before attempting to start her?

Somebody mentioned to me remove the tank and get it flushed etc, any other tips, hints that i would need to do.

Thanks
Z
ZUBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: First time start - 70 c10 - What to do first?

well lets go back to my 1971 chevy 1/2 to Cheyenne truck guy told me it had not ran in 5-8 years.At that time the gas should of dried up.

Check list of things to do before firing your truck up

One should be to check the truck over start with the rear end work your way foreword.reason why is to have good news when you first start out check the rear end make sure is has enough oil look at your leaf springs for rotting rubbers this is a check list of things you know you will have to fix and make the truck safe. me i pull off all the tires and check the brake system.

if everything checks out it will give you a good feeling that the truck is in good shape.check the drive shaft for looseness check for leaks transmission just looks it over make sure its not been messed with.______

Now the gas tank best off to put 2 to 3 new fuel filter on it put 5-10 gallons of high grade fuel check all or replace all rubber fuel line

drain all water out of radiator and refill check all other fluids like power steering and brake fluid check the oil

If i was you i go buy a gallon of Delow diesel oil go buy 1 gallon of diesel gas and after you drain the old oil and take off the old oil filter and put a new one on take the valve cover off loosen up the rocker and put the valve cover back on with new valve cover gaskets and check to see if you have spark pull the plugs out and check them if they look clean squirt a little oil in side of each cyclender if you can try to take a braker bar with a socket and try to cr4ake the engine over by hand to loosen up the pistons and get that oil your surited in a chance to lube all the parts

One thing you don't want to do it brake a ring.If you where me i pull the carb off and check the intake for any lose parts that might got dropped down the carb.If the carb had a Air cleaner on it i think you be safe if you have the old Rodchestrator carb it might be stuck best off to pure fuel in to the vertaires or the small tube like holes on top of the carb to fill up the bouls check your spark plug wires

check the Distributor if its the old points one best off by new points check your fuses check the wires going down to the starter

One thing you best off having is a guy that knows how to work on these trucks it would safe you hundreds of dollars and about 5 hours of pain stake headaches.
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
domeier

Before you do anything, you should buy a factory manual. It will save much heartache.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
Before you do anything, you should buy a factory manual. It will save much heartache.
Manual is there however I dont have the truck as yet, collecting in few weeks.

Meanwhile does anybody have a pdf copy of the manual, maybe I could read up in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
well lets go back to my 1971 chevy 1/2 to Cheyenne truck guy told me it had not ran in 5-8 years.At that time the gas should of dried up.

Check list of things to do before firing your truck up

One should be to check the truck over start with the rear end work your way foreword.reason why is to have good news when you first start out check the rear end make sure is has enough oil look at your leaf springs for rotting rubbers this is a check list of things you know you will have to fix and make the truck safe. me i pull off all the tires and check the brake system.

if everything checks out it will give you a good feeling that the truck is in good shape.check the drive shaft for looseness check for leaks transmission just looks it over make sure its not been messed with.______

Now the gas tank best off to put 2 to 3 new fuel filter on it put 5-10 gallons of high grade fuel check all or replace all rubber fuel line

drain all water out of radiator and refill check all other fluids like power steering and brake fluid check the oil

If i was you i go buy a gallon of Delow diesel oil go buy 1 gallon of diesel gas and after you drain the old oil and take off the old oil filter and put a new one on take the valve cover off loosen up the rocker and put the valve cover back on with new valve cover gaskets and check to see if you have spark pull the plugs out and check them if they look clean squirt a little oil in side of each cyclender if you can try to take a braker bar with a socket and try to cr4ake the engine over by hand to loosen up the pistons and get that oil your surited in a chance to lube all the parts

One thing you don't want to do it brake a ring.If you where me i pull the carb off and check the intake for any lose parts that might got dropped down the carb.If the carb had a Air cleaner on it i think you be safe if you have the old Rodchestrator carb it might be stuck best off to pure fuel in to the vertaires or the small tube like holes on top of the carb to fill up the bouls check your spark plug wires

check the Distributor if its the old points one best off by new points check your fuses check the wires going down to the starter

One thing you best off having is a guy that knows how to work on these trucks it would safe you hundreds of dollars and about 5 hours of pain stake headaches.
Thanks ST for the lovely write up and tips. Will certainly take your advice. Lovely pics by the way.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
ajstager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBZ View Post
Manual is there however I dont have the truck as yet, collecting in few weeks.

Meanwhile does anybody have a pdf copy of the manual, maybe I could read up in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the tip.

I believe what he meant was a Factory Service manual.. and/or Overhaul manual.. I would agree with This suggestion, not overly cheap, but cheaper than the time and money you spend making mistakes.
ajstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

When I bought my 1972 GMC... it had been sitting in a field for about 8 years. We took a weedeater, a portable air compressor, a battery, extra spark plug wires, , a few quarts of oil, a jack, and 5 gallons of gas.

After airing up 2 flat tires, changing out 3 plug wires that had been chewed on by rats. We checked the oil, and topped it off. Checked for spark, and had a decent spark. Hooked up new battery, and squirted fresh fuel down the carb and got it to fire. After about 10 times of doin' that we got it to run. Dumped the 5 gallons of gas in the tank, and drove it to the nearest gas station and filled it about 3/4 full.

Then drove it 1 1/2 hours the rest of the way home. Guess I got lucky.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
When I bought my 1972 GMC... it had been sitting in a field for about 8 years. We took a weedeater, a portable air compressor, a battery, extra spark plug wires, , a few quarts of oil, a jack, and 5 gallons of gas.

After airing up 2 flat tires, changing out 3 plug wires that had been chewed on by rats. We checked the oil, and topped it off. Checked for spark, and had a decent spark. Hooked up new battery, and squirted fresh fuel down the carb and got it to fire. After about 10 times of doin' that we got it to run. Dumped the 5 gallons of gas in the tank, and drove it to the nearest gas station and filled it about 3/4 full.

Then drove it 1 1/2 hours the rest of the way home. Guess I got lucky.

Gary
Gary, very nice story. I am probably going to try the same because of sheer excitement but I will ensure I get the brake cylinders checked out because it looks like it has ceased.....
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Ceased? or seized?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Fuel varnish is my enemy. I have a car that hadn't run in approx. 15 or so years. It had been parked with gas in the tank, lines and carb.

First, I rebuilt the carburetor. The secondary shaft was siezed and the float chamber had 1/4" of red varnish in the bottom, preventing the float from working properly. Secondly, I had to open up the fuel lines. They had gummed up solid. I tried carb spray and compressed air down both ends to no avail. Finally I resorted to jamming a wire coat hanger down each end of the line as far as I could and twisting it around upon arriving at the obstruction. With more soaking of carb spray and shots of compressed air, I finally got both the feed and return lines clear. Thirdly, the gas tank had to be cleaned out. I removed it from the car and shook out a few pounds of powdered varnish.

Seriously, this is the stuff that came out of it:

Then I poured a gallon of vinegar inside. I let it sit for two days. The vinegar is mildly acidic and ate away all of the surface rust on the bottom of the tank while loosening up any remaining varnish. Then I flushed the tank out with a garden hose roughly 25 or so times, lifting and shaking with each flush to remove any last clingy bits.

After all of that, I replaced the rubber fuel lines, distributor cap, spark plug wires, dropped in some properly gapped OEM plugs and popped in a new set of points. It fired right up and idled like a dream.

Last edited by Beelzeburb; 12-13-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Beelzeburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #11
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Ceased? or seized?

Gary
I think ceased Gary. They are basically gone/finished and will need replacing.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
ZUBZ

@ Beelzeburb - That is a lot of gunk that came out... I reckon I am going to do the same by removing the tank and flushing it out, always a good idea with any vehicle that has been standing for a while....
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBZ View Post
I reckon I am going to do the same by removing the tank and flushing it out
I read somewhere on the site about putting a length of chain in the tank to bang off the chunks when you flush. Thought that was mighty smart.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
ZUBZ

Quote:
I read somewhere on the site about putting a length of chain in the tank to bang off the chunks when you flush. Thought that was mighty smart.
Not sure I follow...sorry for the noob question. Can you please elaborate further?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
domeier

You pull the tank, then put a short length of heavy chain in it with your solvent, then slosh it around. The chain knocks the junk off the walls.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
ZUBZ

Quote:
You pull the tank, then put a short length of heavy chain in it with your solvent, then slosh it around. The chain knocks the junk off the walls.
Ah! Much better. I will certainly try this. Is it easy to remove the tank? I am sure once I have the truck with me I will be able to figure these things out. But any tips or heads up before removing like things to do first etc.... Thanks again for the help...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #17
ZUBZ

Hi Guys.

I have been a little quite on the forum and have run into some setbacks with the Chev. The owner passed on and this has left some setbacks as the C10 is now managed by the estate/bank. I spoke to the owner's wife and she advises to give them a few months and hopefully I will be able to get the truck in few months. I cant wait.

I will send further updates soon as I receive the truck then I am going to be posting a lot and needing a lot of help.

Zubz
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
72smoker

The first things I do are check the oils, motor, brake, tranny, top them off. Check the air filter for the ever present mouse nest, remove that. Tape the bad wires off so they don't short out. Take a charged battery and replace the one that is dead. Air up or change the bad tires with what ever rim fits (regardless of size). Then I remove the line that feeds the fuel pump (the one from the tank).Run the line from my spare boat tank through the vent window to the fuel pump. Give that a few pumps till I hear gas run in the carb. Finally I try to turn it over. If it runs I go like mad to get it home or get it on the trailer. I mostly try to keep it in low gear so it don't go to fast and it's easier to stop if the brakes don't work. If it tries to die I give the bulb on my boat tank a pump and off I go.
72smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
ZUBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72smoker View Post
The first things I do are check the oils, motor, brake, tranny, top them off. Check the air filter for the ever present mouse nest, remove that. Tape the bad wires off so they don't short out. Take a charged battery and replace the one that is dead. Air up or change the bad tires with what ever rim fits (regardless of size). Then I remove the line that feeds the fuel pump (the one from the tank).Run the line from my spare boat tank through the vent window to the fuel pump. Give that a few pumps till I hear gas run in the carb. Finally I try to turn it over. If it runs I go like mad to get it home or get it on the trailer. I mostly try to keep it in low gear so it don't go to fast and it's easier to stop if the brakes don't work. If it tries to die I give the bulb on my boat tank a pump and off I go.
Nice, easy and practical tips, thanks 72smoker and everybody else. This is why I love old cars, so easy. Imagine in 30 years or so our kids trying to do these things on these new cars with computers and sensors and all that junk....
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
ZUBZ

Hi Guys,

For your info I have started a separate project thread located here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542560

Thanks
Z