The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Choke Flap Play, (how much is acceptable)?

I've talked about my manual choke issues several times before but I think I finally found the problem. I was under the hood trying to figure it out again and I noticed the choke flap has a good 1/4" of play, I can actually move the flap back and forth 1/4" while everything is still hooked up. I know the issue has got to be down inside where the choke shaft fits into the carb but is this a common problem or was it installed wrong?

savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Choke Flap Play, (how much is acceptable)?

There should be some play, no specific amount though. If the linkage part on the inside of the carb was disconnected, your choke would not work at all. If you can move the fast idle cam (what you circled) and it moves the choke plate, then that internal linkage is fine.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
savatreatabvr

I pulled the choke assembly off to inspect it and the part of the linkage (pic #1) is really loose on the shaft of (pic #2), I'd say it's abnormally loose. I'm assuming the only way to fix it is replace the whole assembly with a new one, correct?

PIC 1

PIC 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
There should be some play, no specific amount though. If the linkage part on the inside of the carb was disconnected, your choke would not work at all. If you can move the fast idle cam (what you circled) and it moves the choke plate, then that internal linkage is fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
savatreatabvr

[QUOTE=savatreatabvr;5063891]I pulled the choke assembly off to inspect it and the part of the linkage (pic #1) is really loose on the shaft of (pic #2), I'd say it's abnormally loose. I'm assuming the only way to fix it is replace the whole assembly with a new one, correct?

PIC 1

PIC 2
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Please excuse as i have limited time----i am basically running on mental "fumes" as of this point. i may have more time this weekend, but probably not which further exacerbates the problem.........

1/4" is too much play---i think 1/16" may be acceptable/normal.

Are you saying that the lever is loose on the shaft in-and-out? Or when you actually turn it there is play---lever moves before the shaft? In other words, the keyhole is not really rectangular anymore but rounded? If so, that's bizzare.

Also, i noticed in another picture in a different thread that your cable is not wrapped really tightly around the lever you are using to ulimately control the choke. This right here could cause 1/4" of play.

Can you provide a picture of how the original lever in pic #1 looks on the shaft now?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
savatreatabvr

While I had the assembly off of the carb I took a small piece of clear tape (box tape) and wrapped it around the shaft one time, now with it all put back together there's very little play plus I readjusted the choke cable so the outer sleeve was much closer to the point where the cable is attached. The action of the choke cable now is much much smoother, the difference is night and day! I never released how close the outer sleeve of a manual choke cable needed to be to the point where the cable hooks on! No one ever mentioned that in any other thread I posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Please excuse as i have limited time----i am basically running on mental "fumes" as of this point. i may have more time this weekend, but probably not which further exacerbates the problem.........

1/4" is too much play---i think 1/16" may be acceptable/normal.

Are you saying that the lever is loose on the shaft in-and-out? Or when you actually turn it there is play---lever moves before the shaft? In other words, the keyhole is not really rectangular anymore but rounded? If so, that's bizzare.

Also, i noticed in another picture in a different thread that your cable is not wrapped really tightly around the lever you are using to ulimately control the choke. This right here could cause 1/4" of play.

Can you provide a picture of how the original lever in pic #1 looks on the shaft now?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
While I had the assembly off of the carb I took a small piece of clear tape (box tape) and wrapped it around the shaft one time, now with it all put back together there's very little play plus I readjusted the choke cable so the outer sleeve was much closer to the point where the cable is attached. The action of the choke cable now is much much smoother, the difference is night and day! I never released how close the outer sleeve of a manual choke cable needed to be to the point where the cable hooks on! No one ever mentioned that in any other thread I posted!

That's good. i hadn't thought of that as i don't use a manual choke. But that's what i like about posts like these----we can all learn something.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
savatreatabvr

If I would have thought a little harder in the beginning I wouldn't have wasted so many peoples time but like you said, we all can learn something! With experience comes knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
That's good. i hadn't thought of that as i don't use a manual choke. But that's what i like about posts like these----we can all learn something.