The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
lsteiner72

Rear Bed Corner

Howdy guys,

A couple of questions for you guys the truck is a '70 LWB:

1- I tried searching but had limited results, does anyone know of any threads about the repair of the rear bottom corners under the tail lights of the fleetside bed?

I'm currently working on the body work of the bed and both rear bottom quarters under the tail lights is smashed in. The drivers side wasn't too bad and able to knock the dents out well enough to smooth out with filler. HOWEVER, the passenger side is really bad smashed in, radi from back to side creased right shut and I don't think it's going to be a easy knock the dent out adventure as I don't think I'll ever get the radius from the back to the side correct again.

So that leads me to my second question:

2- Is there a vendor out there that makes this as a repair patch? The only one I found is from brothers to the tune of $90

I know my other option would be to find a junk yard truck which I may have a line on a couple but I don't know their condition so then I'm also dealing with 40+ year old metal again.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Lucas
lsteiner72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Rear Bed Corner

I believe GMC Pauls has panels like you need, (lower rear sections in right and left), $30 each.

You may want to check out his site.

Here is a link to the patch panels:

http://www.gmcpauls.com/bed_patch_panels.htm

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
jondancer

Subscribed.
Posted via Mobile Device
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
lsteiner72

Thanks for the reply Jim, I forgot about GMC Paul, however looking at that piece, it looks like the same one LMC sells which is just mainly the side, I would really like if there was something that included the whole corner, under the tail light to the tailgate seam area. I'll take some pictures and post, maybe someone has some other suggestions on the fix
Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteiner72 View Post
thanks for the reply jim, i forgot about gmc paul, however looking at that piece, it looks like the same one lmc sells which is just mainly the side, i would really like if there was something that included the whole corner, under the tail light to the tailgate seam area. I'll take some pictures and post, maybe someone has some other suggestions on the fix
oh, oh , oh. Check out my build
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
JORGIE95961

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447690 HERE
IT IS
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
lsteiner72

Thanks JORGIE, that's exactly what I'm thinking I'll have to do with my passenger side, looks like you had to get sheet metal from a donor truck as well... I'm thinking that's my best option....

I think I may cut mine in the center of the tail light to not have to mess with the body line and curve at the top and would give me more area's to measure off of to cut.

THANKS
Lucas
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteiner72 View Post
Thanks JORGIE, that's exactly what I'm thinking I'll have to do with my passenger side, looks like you had to get sheet metal from a donor truck as well... I'm thinking that's my best option....

I think I may cut mine in the center of the tail light to not have to mess with the body line and curve at the top and would give me more area's to measure off of to cut.

THANKS
Lucas
YES SIR i shoulda done that...another thing i did wrong is leave too much metal on the piece and ended up with a huge highspot so be careful
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Frkypunk70

I have a similar prob on my 68.. I was thinking of cutting it out and straightening it out then welding it back on....have not got to that end of the truck yet though. Good luck whatever you do though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
lsteiner72

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I'll have to take a bunch of pictures along the way to help others with this, I'm sure alot these trucks (especially if they were used like a truck should be in their previous life) have had the beds smashed in the back.

It's defiantly not easy getting in behind there to knock the dents out, fixing the drivers side I had used a air hammer with long straight punch to get it out however the metal tore and I had to weld the crack. still didn't get the base metal smooth ... old friend body filler came in useful... looks good now.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
mbgmike

You are better off getting a donor. There is a panel made(in theUSA to) for the rear section. We used to sell them. it is a nice panel but it did not have the tail light holes. we had to build a die and cut out the opening to use the die to form the roll. alot of work. easier to weld in a donor
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote