The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Crazy Rusty

Dash electrical firewall grommt install

I took my dash wiring out years ago when I started working on the burb. I went to put it back in tonight and realized the connector that fits in the hole has a hard rubber grommit around it. I think I might just try warming it up with my blower to make it a bit more maluable but I don't want to screw up the connections... any ideas of how I'm supposed to get that thing back in the hole?

Thanks!
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Dash electrical firewall grommt install

Easy money,
I can't remember if the connector end you're trying to push through the firewall is male or female but easy none the less. If male, using needle nose pliers reach down and sqeeze the male prongs and push them out through the back of the connector. If they're female connectors just reach down through the connector slot with a thin male screw driver, push in the release tang and push out the back side of the connector. Feed the wires through the firewall grommet and push them back into the connector. If you look at my attachment the female connectors are in the upper right and the male are in the lower right. Hopefully this will give you a good visual of how easy they will come out of the connectors. It does take a little practice but it doesn't take long and you can have them out in just a second or 2.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That big rubber grommet can be a pain, especially once they harden up some. Usually I have good luck with some silicone spray. Something else that works good on rubber parts, is tire soap, as used in tire shops.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Crazy Rusty

Thanks for the replies! CaptainFab has the connection in mind that I am dealing with (its the dash/engine harness connection). I'll try some tire soap, I think I have that from changing my motorcycle tires.

Not looking forward to it, its cold out and I just know I'm going to slam or slice my finger in some way when I'm trying to put it in
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
padresag

warm it up in the micro wave
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
padresag

just heat it up the micro wave until you feel that it is pliable enough( don't cook it) just enough and check it. a little white grease or veinersliden and you are set to go
ron
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If it is cold where you are working on it, warming it up as padresag said would help. Either the microwave or some good and hot water.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I like using WD40 never try the microwave trick did try the oven a few times not to many good thoughts come to mind with that idea
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
padresag

microwave works like a damn. it takes very little time. just try 30 seconds and gauge it from there. get it soft. put it in the firewlall and then a little grease on the inside and then push the inside piece in right away as it will harden up again. there is an upside to it also, there are 2 internal corners and if I remember right , they go to the top
ron