The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Midniteotto

BBC power steering altenator setup?'s

I've searched for two days and tried every possible combination of words I can think of and just can't first.d the answers... so..... I have a 72 truck with a 85 model 454 I. It and while the alternator setup is not bad, the current power steering.g setup is awful, one of the brackets is basically ally sitting on the frame and it just looks bad..my thoughts was to first.d the correct setup for a 72 with a 402 and bolt all the stuff up..but what all do I need...brackets? Pulleys? Short water pump? Long water pump? And will they bolt to the 85 454? Is the holes gonna be the same? Or is there another setup that will function correctly? I posted a couple of pics on another members for sale thread..I'm on my phone and not sure how to post pics from here...any help, direction, or detailed info would be greatly welcomed...as I thought this would be something I could find pretty easily...and one more thing..what difffernce does it make if the fuel sending unit is for a manual or automatic trans? Thanks in advance for any info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Midniteotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

Re: BBC power steering altenator setup?'s

I changed from Small block to big block in my 69 c-20. The easiest way to change to the 454 is to use 67-72 chevy truck,short water pump, mounting brackets and pullies. 65-68 Chevelle and Impala big block brackets will work them same and except for 72 truck brackets are the same. 72 truck has a different alternator bracket but the power steering and a/c brackets are the same.. The only real problem with using these brackets is cost-power steering brackets and pump with remote canister look to pay between $150 to $250 and hopefully the pulley comes with it. Alternator brackets can be had between $60-$120 and a/c short water pump bbc look to pay $200 to $350-then add about $100 bucks for the crank and water pump pullies. Did you use bbc frame mounts for the engine? 67-71 set ups run $125-$200 and 72 only which I think are the best, run $150-$200. It's not cheap but it works like it was designed. You could go to Summit or Jegs type stores and get custom sets but they are pricey too! I just looked around and picked up the pieces I needed as I found them and it was only a few months to source everything. Good luck hope it helps!
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Midniteotto

But will the 72 brackets bolt up to the 85 block and heads? And I'm not sure of the motor stands. I've only had the truck for a couple of days, but the power steering was the first thing that struck me as odd. And I like things to function as they should. BTW.. thanks for the other info!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Midniteotto; 12-18-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

Yes, 72 brackets and pulleys will bolt onto your 85 454. I took a look at the picture you posted in the other thread and I see a couple things going on,
You have most of a long water pump setup, The power steering bracket and pump you have is off of a 80's small block.
AND the dangerous part is your engine mount tower has been cut snearly in two, to make it work with your headers, then welded to the frame.. NOT GOOD.

There are a couple of ways to go.
(#1) find all of the correct 72 brackets, short water pump, pulleys, engine mounts, fant shroud etc, That option is fairly expensive (I have it all available for $600 shipped)
(#2) find a used power steering pump and brackets off of a 73 - 80 vintage 454 chevy truck , That pump/bracket combo will mount up correctly to your long water pump and clear the frame, also get the complete engine mounts out of the same vintage truck and those will work by drilling a couple of holes and will clear your headers. then find a 67-72 vintage small block fan shroud to cover your fan, ( it will work with a big block long water pump set up)
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
Midniteotto

Thanks...at least now I have some direction...I haven't even paid attention to the mounts, I will check those in the morning and see if I can start sourcing some parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Midniteotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
There are a couple of ways to go.
(#1) find all of the correct 72 brackets, short water pump, pulleys, engine mounts, fant shroud etc, That option is fairly expensive (I have it all available for $600 shipped)
I really can't afford all that at once, but if you come across some of the parts, without busting up the set you have, could you keep me in mind, this is the way I would like to go, I just like the way it's setup! and I'm in for the long haul and I'm not really driving it, so I've time to collect the parts. Thanks...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Livrat
Member #1049

I will keep you in mind in case parts n pieces come around. Keep checking Ebay the stuff does pop up from time to time
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Shyguy

Here is what we did when we put a '74 454 in my '71. We just pulled the engine out of a '74 truck and put it in my '71 with motor mounts and stands from the '74. The power steering pump came with the engine. We put the '71 alternator on the passenger side where the '74 alternator was because I wanted to use the external regulator.

We did have to drill some holes to bolt the motor stands to the frame, but everything worked out great. I have a manual transmission and there wasn't any problem with the headers and clutch linkeage hitting.

I have not seen your pictures so I can not comment on your setup.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteotto View Post
I've searched for two days and tried every possible combination of words I can think of and just can't first.d the answers... so..... I have a 72 truck with a 85 model 454 I. Posted via Mobile Device

The part number for the bracket you need is : #10367. It is available from:
http://stores.ebay.com/Allstar-Autom...id=p4340.l2563
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Midniteotto

Thanks guys for the help, but I think I'm gonna try and find the 72 stuff, I've looked at alot of engine bays and such over the past couple of days, and I just like the way it's set up better, I do apperciate any directions to big block guys that can help, and that ebay link was great, that dudes got stuff.. After checking out the mount on the drivers side after it was pointed out, I don't even wanna drive it till I get the mounts and brackets fixed, I guess when I bought it, I was blinded by the fact that it was a 72 swb that I could actually buy...anyway got it running today and she sounds pretty good, old gas is bad!! but I'll get my diamond outta this thing yet!