The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
mjo8585

log lay off from build..need so motivation

I recently made a move and stopped on my frame off on my '68 C-10. Anyone on here had a similar thing happen and how did you get motivated to start back up. Thanks again guys!!
mjo8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
big_al_71

Re: log lay off from build..need so motivation

What has always helped me is to look at pitures of others vehicles that are done, going to car shows and watching build shows on tv. That usually gets me motivated to keep going and finish whatever I started..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Okay, you and I are in the same boat. I am bringing my bare (but painted) frame home from my sons' house this month and into my garage. He had good intentions, but a wife, 3 dogs, a full-time job and a full load at college limited his time to give to my project. Still, there's more that got done than had happened in 3 years.

So, my motivation is to kick my painters' butt and get him to do what he said he would do and has been paid to do, or go to court and force him to do it or ante up some money!

So, it looks like money is a motivator. I've already spent plenty, but no where near what some folks have spent.

Knowing that when it is done, I can get in it and drive it and listen to the pipes and crank the tunes up is what I long for.

You're not the only person to have this feeling. Just don't give in and give up.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Midniteotto

I always try to keep my projects in the way, that always helps me the most, go out to garage and start messing around and before I know it, I actually done something....Never "get stuff out of the way"
Midniteotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
70chevytruck

I have a shortbed frame in the garage and a longhorn big block in the back yard waiting to mate....I finally bought a longbed that actually runs..couldn't pass it up. I think what a lot of us forget is how much fun these trucks are to drive and beat on. I get motivated everytime I get in my truck for a run to grocery store.

Here is a good question....how many of us actually get to drive our trucks versus always having it in PROJECT form?

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Tmwoodall

Thing that helps me most is my buddy is building a mustang. It isn't a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing, but whenever I get in a slump and I see all the progress he is making and it lights me up again. Same idea as going to a show I suppose.

I also keep a chunk of my garage wall covered in photos of trucks similar to what I have in mind for mine, and engine bay pics. That always gets me when I am outside and feeling sluggish or frustrated.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
cleanfreak

Try to not pile things on top of the truck , set some time out just to clean the work area , just having it cleaned off and ready to work on helps for me.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
cerjio

For personal motivation , I go to carshows ,an look at evey 67-72 truck thats there , listen to a buddy whos got his in paint ! then I realise I need to get mine done so I can Drive the Dang old truck !!!! since its a frame off type of build I am almost there just need the warm weather to get motivated so SPRING HURRY AN GET HERE !!!!!
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
67swb72klb

u just have to go out and get crackin on it like i say if i dont do it who is
now lets see some progress !! the break is over !
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerjio View Post
For personal motivation , I go to carshows ,an look at evey 67-72 truck thats there , listen to a buddy whos got his in paint ! then I realise I need to get mine done so I can Drive the Dang old truck !!!! since its a frame off type of build I am almost there just need the warm weather to get motivated so SPRING HURRY AN GET HERE !!!!!
X2. Car shows...etc.
My buddy used to have a excellent running 66, 406 SBC, muncie M21, ran like a raped ape...I wish he still had it, or that I could have bought it!!!

I try to do my work in bits and pieces. You have to start somewhere, and you have to start at the bottom. Getting one area done, feels good, then the next, then the next.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Whenever I want to think about long-term projects and losing interest, I think about a friend of mine who got divorced and had to sell his cars to satisfy the judge and his ex-wife.

He has a '32 Ford coupe, running a flat-motor. He's had it since '62. It's nice. He also has a Deuce cabriolet. To keep it "in his possession", he cut the body in half, thru the door openings. Then, he separated the two halves and scattered all the rest of the car throughout his property. When the auction was held, nobody picked up on the bits and pieces as a complete car. After the sale, and after a number of years (approx. 20) had passed, I was driving by his place as he was opening up the building where the bits and pieces had been stored. I helped him get them to his shop where he began the reassembly of the cabriolet. This guy is as passionate about 32 Fords as anyone I have ever met. Yes he was patient, but he never lost sight of the goal of putting his formerly nice cabriolet back together again.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
1low

I order a few new parts that always gets me pumped up. U always need more parts
1low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well most for get that we are in a down turn in the USA with no jobs and so on.But i like to say if you can work on a little things.that you can do now it might keep you focus.I'm not one to do body work or trying to reinvent the wheel.I like a stock truck.I like putti9ng them back to factory.I built a few and they worked out good.Its the easy fixes that keep me going
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I bought my '69 Chevy longbed over a year ago with the engine disassembled and loaded into the bed in boxes and milk crates. I almost lost interest in the overhaul of that engine until I went to a car show in Phoenix, AZ and saw many Chevy cars and trucks with dressed and well put together engines. That was all the motivation I needed. Now the engine is almost complete and after the Dyno runs are done, I will be putting the truck together for the spring car shows. I have another '69 GMC Custom Camper that I use for a daily driver that needs a complete redo, but my true like is the '69 Chevy with that brand new 396BB. Be looking for pics soon.

Al
'69 GMC Custom Camper
'69 Chevy C10 396
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

This forum keeps me jacked up. Someday I'll be able to put mine up there with the big boys. Like my Dad said "It's going to be something you can be proud of".
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
AusTx68

At one point my project took up my entire two car garage and my wifes car was stuck outside. I had stopped working on it for a couple months when she walked in and says, "the garage is a mess! You'll never put that thing together! You start stuff and don't finish them!". That totally pissed me off! I started up and didn't stop till I was finished.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
Ackattack

One of the reasons you see so many projects for sale is because people loose interest when they get way in. I bought my 68 without an engine/tranny and worked on it nearly 3 years before I drove it. I'm not sure if I'll ever do a frame off again, as I didn't enjoy it as much as fixing them up as I go. You just don't get the reward of driving with that [new part] installed....make it faster/more comfortable/louder/quieter/smoother/cooler.

So now I'm tinkering with my 69, driving it as I go. This weekend I tore the steering column apart, and "rebuilt" the throttle body and had it all back together so it was ready to go this morning.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Shyguy

I bought both my '67 and '71 trucks, got them running and drove them a while before I decided which way I wanted to go with them while gathering parts. I am lucky in that I have a son that is real good at working on these old trucks so we kind of keep each other motivated. I just go visit my son, he is building another one for sale. He doesn't try to cover up any problems and fixes any problems before he puts them up for sale. I watched him doing some body work today.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote