The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
samuellg1977

Problem, need assistance...

About a week ago, my motor took a dump and i thought it was the front cam bearing, but after taking everything apart, I can't find anything VISUALLY wrong with it. I found oil in the water and no oil in the engine, but there was also no water in the engine either. What would cause the cooling system to absorb the oil, but not suck water into the engine? I was thinking blown head gasket (maybe), but there are no indications on the head that support my idea. I acquired another 350, but I am wondering what casued this to happen and if i should continue with the new motor or just rebuild the old one and save the new motor for another project. Any ideas or advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sam
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

Re: Problem, need assistance...

You mean ALL the engine oil was gone? hmm, that is strange.....That can't be good...I was thinking maybe intake gaskets, but with having no engine oil, that is strange....

I would think the engine would be toast though, and need a rebuild if that was the case though....

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
samuellg1977

64GMC, Yep, BONE DRY in the case... All of it was in the radiator. THe top rad hose swole up to the size of my arm. And not a drop of ANYTHING leaked out of it onto the ground.

Are you thinking I CAN rebuild that motor? I just don't want to waste the time or money if it is indeed garbage.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
cru_zn_29

What gave you the idea that there was somthing wrong with the cam bearing? To have all of your motor oil go into the cooling system the oil had to come from oil pressure. How long before this happend was the coolant checked? Do you have a external oil cooler? Was the engine knocking ( no oil) what year is the engine. Did the enging overheart (no coolant) ?
Kenny
cru_zn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
samuellg1977

[QUOTE=cru_zn_29;5071103]

What gave you the idea that there was somthing wrong with the cam bearing? I am no mechanic, but I figured this was the only place for oil to be pushed into the cooling system.

To have all of your motor oil go into the cooling system the oil had to come from oil pressure. That is what I thought.

How long before this happend was the coolant checked? I replaced the radiator about one week before this happened and check it daily (Paranoid). That is when i noticed the oil in the radiator.

Do you have a external oil cooler? No external oil cooler.

Was the engine knocking (no oil) No, it never made a sound.

what year is the engine? The engine is a bone stock '84 4-bolt

Did the engine overheart (no coolant)? Yes, someone stabbed my radiator with what appears to be maybe a screwdriver or something. Judging from the hole in it. It's perfectly round and dead center of the bottom of the radiator that I took out two weeks ago now.