The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
GMCNUT

Smile 1960-1965 Deluxe Horn Rings

OK - I received a lot of feedback from members asking about horn rings; below you will see pictures of what I have - none of these are in show condition - they all need to be replated for show use, but they are shiny, un-broken, and complete so they would work as-is if yours is broken, or missing or if you are only wanting one for a "driver" grade truck.

1) you can have any of the three horn rings by itself for 40.00.

2) if you want either of the two center caps with any ring, its 50.00.

3) if you want the deluxe steering wheel with a cap and ring its 75.00.

The deluxe wheel pictured is not great - it will work if you do not have one, but this one has pretty bad cracks at the base and will need some bondo, JB Weld, glue or something to fill these and smooth it down for repaint. Therefore, if you are looking for a "nice" wheel or one you eventually want to make show-ready, I do not recommend this wheel. However, if you are handy with body work, you can buy this one for dirt cheap and repair it vs paying upwards of 150.00 or more for a truly nice wheel, cap and ring on Ebay or wherever.
ABOUT POT METAL: for those of you who have never payed a restoration shop to replate pot metal items, these rings and caps I have are speckled with what is commonly referred to in pot metal related terminology as "pin pricks" - pin pricks are the first stage of what is also commonly referred to as "pot metal pitting" or blistering. pin pricks are defects in the chrome plating itself - pits and blistering are defects in the pot metal part - these defects have to be ground, filled, sanded and then plated over, making re-chroming tedious, time-consuming and in the end, expensive. Pin pricks are most often removed when the re-plating shop removes your old plating to reveal the cast pot metal piece. Typically, if your pot metal part is only covered in pin pricks, then you are good to go and the plater will not have to spend hours and hours refinishing it - so its cheaper to replate. I believe these parts will be this way. Only your plater can say for sure, and only after the chrome is stripped, so if you are going to buy pot metal with the idea of replating it for cheap, think again - only if the part comes away from the chrome removal process with no need for blister and pit repair will you come out cheap. This cannot be said for certain of any part, so please buy accordingly. Now you have my 2 cents - go forth and flourish
Attached Images

GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
scottofksu

Re: 1960-1965 Deluxe Horn Rings

I'm interested in the horn ring in the second to last picture. If the price is $40, consider it sold!
scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
i'm interested in the horn ring in the second to last picture. If the price is $40, consider it sold!
the single horn ring w/ no cap in the 2nd to last picture is sold to scottofksu....thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
OK - I received a lot of feedback from members asking about horn rings; below you will see pictures of what I have - none of these are in show condition - they all need to be replated for show use, but they are shiny, un-broken, and complete so they would work as-is if yours is broken, or missing or if you are only wanting one for a "driver" grade truck.

1) you can have any of the three horn rings by itself for 40.00.

2) if you want either of the two center caps with any ring, its 50.00.

3) if you want the deluxe steering wheel with a cap and ring its 75.00.

The deluxe wheel pictured is not great - it will work if you do not have one, but this one has pretty bad cracks at the base and will need some bondo, JB Weld, glue or something to fill these and smooth it down for repaint. Therefore, if you are looking for a "nice" wheel or one you eventually want to make show-ready, I do not recommend this wheel. However, if you are handy with body work, you can buy this one for dirt cheap and repair it vs paying upwards of 150.00 or more for a truly nice wheel, cap and ring on Ebay or wherever.
ABOUT POT METAL: for those of you who have never payed a restoration shop to replate pot metal items, these rings and caps I have are speckled with what is commonly referred to in pot metal related terminology as "pin pricks" - pin pricks are the first stage of what is also commonly referred to as "pot metal pitting" or blistering. pin pricks are defects in the chrome plating itself - pits and blistering are defects in the pot metal part - these defects have to be ground, filled, sanded and then plated over, making re-chroming tedious, time-consuming and in the end, expensive. Pin pricks are most often removed when the re-plating shop removes your old plating to reveal the cast pot metal piece. Typically, if your pot metal part is only covered in pin pricks, then you are good to go and the plater will not have to spend hours and hours refinishing it - so its cheaper to replate. I believe these parts will be this way. Only your plater can say for sure, and only after the chrome is stripped, so if you are going to buy pot metal with the idea of replating it for cheap, think again - only if the part comes away from the chrome removal process with no need for blister and pit repair will you come out cheap. This cannot be said for certain of any part, so please buy accordingly. Now you have my 2 cents - go forth and flourish
SOLD THE SINGLE HORN RING w/ NO CAP PICTURED, BUT STILL HAVE THE DELUXE WHEEL AND RING COMBO AND THE SPARE RING w/ CAP PICTURED.
GETTING A 66 WHEEL, HORN RING AND BUTTON THURSDAY IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED - NOT SURE OF CONDITION YET....WILL POST AD FOR IT
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
rnruman1

I realize this ad was posted a year ago, but I would be interested in purchasing an intact steering wheel center with a horn ring like the one pictured if you still have one available. Please feel free to email me at wuncat@verizon.net and put "horn ring" in the subject area if you have what I need available. Thanks, Rich
rnruman1 is offline   Reply With Quote