The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Igorsgonemadd

Igors Sled

Ok, so I finally bought my dually!! It's a 1988 GMC Crew Cab Sierra classic, squarebody. I will get some pics of it up tomorrow, its raining now. I'm pretty happy with it, except the rust. Both rockers and cab corners are rusted. I think the rest of it is good though. So I need you guys to make me feel better about the rockers and the corners. I really wanted to find one without rust....but I got tired of looking. Its got the TBI and a pretty solid red interior, which is the color I want and I got a great deal on it. I plan on a static drop 6/8 with helper bags. a few subtle body mods, shaved stake pockets, section bumpers, shave bumper bolts and re-chrome, replace tailget trim with blazer trim and relocate handle( stole that from wide load c-30) . Not sure about paint yet, right now just plan on fixing the rust and try to touch it up. Paint job really isnt in the budget right now. I just want it lowered, rust fixed, interior spruced up some and replace the leaky gas tank ASAP.....Then drive it!! Then ill start on the other stuff. My dad had one of these trucks and he had big plans for it. We worked on it together and talked alot about things we were gonna do to it, had a 502 for it and all the bodywork done. But then he got sick and he had to let it go. He's been gone almost 20 years now. But everytime I see one of these trucks i remember the plans we had. Now I have one and I know he's gonna be up there smiling at every nut thats turned

I ordered my lowering kit today, 6/8 western chassis kit. I also ordered a new dash pad, some trim, chrome tailgate handle, both rockers and cab corners and some other small stuff. But I need advice on my shocks and helper bags. Shocks first, so are drop shocks going to give me a better ride than stockers with extenders? Also, the shock extenders I seen on summit were like 80$, for about twice that you can get drop shocks, which I would think would be better. So why put the extenders on it in the first place? Bottom line is, I want to do it right the first time. If the drop shocks will give me a better ride then thats what I want. So if you guys suggest the drop shocks, which ones? Next, the helper bags, suggestions? I see the ones in lmc, the load lifter 5000 for 319$ Then the load controller air comp for another 199$....ouch. So should I go with these and do I need the on-board air comp?

While I'm at it, I got a few more questions. On the rear I read I'm gonna need to notch my sway bar....can someone tell me how to do that? I plan on taking the bed off to do everything. Can two guys lift the bed off and carry it? Also, is there a main bed harness or do ia have to unplug all the wires from the lights individually? I plan on driving it to a buddys house once we get it lowered to change gears in the rear end, replace rockers and cab corners. Is there some sort of adapter tailight that I could just plug in to mount on the frame while the bed is off. I dont wanna be cutting any of the light harness to rig up temporary lights. Oh and lowered bumpstops, where do you guys get them?

I know theres alot there and my parts wont even be here till january, but the truck means so much to me, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Pics tomorrow, Promise!!!

Top ** * *
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Igorsgonemadd

Re: Igors Sled

Also, any Oklahoma guys around here that wanna help........especially those with Welding and paint & body skills
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

So I need you guys to make me feel better about the rockers and the corners. I really wanted to find one without rust....but I got tired of looking.

*** Don't worry about welding in new ones...by the time you are done you will be an expert welder! Even if you screw up like I did, you can cut them out and redo it!!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
rs72z

You better find about 3 more big guys to help you get the bed off. They are plenty heavy.
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
You better find about 3 more big guys to help you get the bed off. They are plenty heavy.
x2. A stock short fleet is a PITA for 2 guys.... I couldn't imagine being able to lift & navigate a long-fleet bed w/the extra bulk of the dually fenders to worry about.

Minimum 4 guys is my recommendation or rig up a hoist system that will lift the bed straight up so you can roll the truck out from under it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
ghettoluxury

The rockers is a part of life, my crew doesn't have any part of them left. This is just life in the rust belt.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Igorsgonemadd

Ok guys, I'm considering paying someone to do the rusted rockers and cab corners. I cant weld and I just wanna get it done and done right. Just found out my bed is rusted all to hell to....but, one ill deal with that later. I found a guy here in Coweta at Classic auto body that will do it all for a grand, just leaving them in primer. Hows that price sound to you guys, thats all four rockers and both cab corners. Also, if anyone knows someone in the tulsa area that could do it cheaper and do it right, please let me know. Hell I might even be willing to travel a bit if its worth it. All input welcome. Those pics are still coming.....just been working lste every night.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsgonemadd View Post
Ok guys, I'm considering paying someone to do the rusted rockers and cab corners. I cant weld and I just wanna get it done and done right. Just found out my bed is rusted all to hell to....but, one ill deal with that later. I found a guy here in Coweta at Classic auto body that will do it all for a grand, just leaving them in primer. Hows that price sound to you guys, thats all four rockers and both cab corners. Also, if anyone knows someone in the tulsa area that could do it cheaper and do it right, please let me know. Hell I might even be willing to travel a bit if its worth it. All input welcome. Those pics are still coming.....just been working lste every night.
That price sounds good to me if they do quality work. Do you know what kind of work they do?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
SCOTI

All 4 rusted rockers & cab-corners in primer for $1K ??? Sounds too good to be true so I would wonder about the quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That sounds pretty decent. He probably wont have but around $100 in parts. You might check with RandyP to get a second opinion; he's local to you.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Da88burban
GM's 4 Life

^^2x
Got any pics of the crew?

'54 Chevy 3100 "Just a Mess"
'74 Chevy Super 10 468BB "One Fast Rust Bucket"
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT
'88 Chevy burb "Tha Big Turd"
'93 GMC Safari "Bone Crusher"

.................____________
.............../______l___|___\____
;,;,;,;,;,;,;|__(O)_| __l___l__(O) |
Da88burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Igorsgonemadd

Well, he's just welding them in and putting primer on to protect them. That's not including bodywork on them. I figured I could do that and yes pics tomorrow at the latest, I just haven't seen daylight in two weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Igorsgonemadd

That's also with me providing all the panels as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Igorsgonemadd

I just seen the post about Randy p, how do I get in touch with him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #15
85crewcab

Randy owns a body shop in Owasso. http://www.pruittsautocollision.com
Posted via Mobile Device
85crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Igorsgonemadd

Finally Pic's!!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
Igorsgonemadd

More.....
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Igorsgonemadd

More...
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Igorsgonemadd

Little more...
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Igorsgonemadd

Pile of junk I took off....Name:  IMG_4653.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  25.4 KB

Rear, no mudflapsName:  IMG_4655.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  21.6 KB

Front no bug sheild and bumper guardsName:  IMG_4656.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  25.1 KB

ill be putting an 85 chevy grill in it with new chrome bezels soon, along with 4 more bumper bolts to fill the holes.That's it so far. I tried to take off running boards, but all the bolts are rusted and will have to be cut off. But I have a gas tank leaking, so I'm not gonna go throwing any sparks. Tank is on the way and I will have it put in and those stupid boards off this week. Still waiting on my lowering kit, dash pad, my rocker panels, cab corners and some interior trim I ordered. Parts should be coming in soon. Man is it adding up quick......
Old 12-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
rs72z

Looks like a nice truck to start with.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
SCOTI

Decent starting point. Are you driving the truck now? If so, the mud-flaps are required on a dually. Once it's lowered it may not be as noticed by your local law enforcement vs @ stock height.

It's amazing how quickly the appearance of these trucks can change when removing some 'accessory' items.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
Igorsgonemadd

Ok, so it's been a while since I updated. I have been waiting on parts, specifically from western chassis. The lowering kit that I ordered in December, they said I'd have January 4th. I finally got it first week of march, thrown in boxes that were falling apart. Open it to find they didn't send the spring bolts, really two months late and you can't make sure it's right......they sent them right out when I called, it's just the principle. So I go to put everything together and I have the wrong axle locators, so I call them again and they sent other ones out. So I get ready to put it together and they don't even begin to fit around the axle tube. I talked to a guy on the forums here, project second chance and he said post some pics, but got busy and just figured I'd wait till the next day and call Western again, thinking they would surely have the locators that fit my truck, since they're kit is suppose to fit it! Long story short, he says that their are only two possibilities for my truck and I have them. I told them I have a Dana 70, 99% sure that's what I got. I had them pull up specs on they're axle locators for the Dana 70 he said they measure 3.74 inches id, I say how is that possible when my Dana is 4 inches wide. How the hell is a 3.74 inch saddle suppose to cradle a 4 inch rear end tube. They just said you have what we offer. They were complete asses to me. I will never buy a damn thing from them again. They were not the least bit interested in resolving my problem. So I ordered some universal axle locators from djm, but my dillemma is, these are adjustable for pinion angle. What should my pinion angle be and how do I achieve it. I don't know what it was stock because I didn't check it and now of course it's completely tore apart. I will post some pics of my progress tonight, I can't do it from my iPhone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Igorsgonemadd

Ok, it's been a while but I've been working on it. I got some djm adjustable axle saddles to fix the western chassis situation. I will never do buisness with Western again, they didn't give a damn about helping me resolve the problem when there parts didnt fit. They were complete DICKS!!! But, moving on.....here is what I've been up to.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #25
Igorsgonemadd

All I removed from the spring pack is the top overload, should I have removed more and if I do will it lower the truck anymore in back? I dont want it any lower in back right now.
Attached Images