The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Wybrow

Can't make up my mind. Need some serious opinions.

Hey guys and gals, I'm in need of some serious persuading.

I've just picked up a 52 GMC 3/4 ton long bed. I know exactly where I want this project to head, but am not sure what to set the truck body on.

I've been brainstorming the last while about which frame is better, my two options are:

-Factory frame, shortened to a short bed, Heidts (or similar) IFS and 4-linked rear

-s10 frame, mount conversion kit, etc.

Here's where I am confused. I've owned a couple s10's over the last few years, with some pretty high hp engines, and I've managed to twist both of them up pretty severely. So I know that s10 frames are not very strong.

How are the AD frames in comparison? Boxing of either one will happen regardless.

My major concern is the ability to lower it. Static. I'm not much for air suspensions, just personal preference. I have yet to see a truck on an AD frame that is really "slammed". I've seen AD's on s10 frames that are dropped 2/3 and they are well on their way, and I know there is plenty left in that frame (from personal experience). So my question is, are AD frames able to be lowered... extensively?

Cost wise, I'm coming up with pretty even numbers. So I'm really not worried about that at this point.

So which one is better?

And my current daily - this is the "low" I want to achieve static

and yes, it's static

Thanks in advance guys, hope you all had a Merry Christmas!
Wybrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
1959 Apache 3600

Re: Can't make up my mind. Need some serious opinions.

Any lower and you're plowing snow with the darn thing. Wish I could help you out regarding your question... just stopping by to say Merry Christmas too!
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
booger1949

i put a malibu sub frame in mine an love it, but after installin an ifs in a 53 for a buddy of mind, i now wish i would have did the ifs, it not only put him on the road faster it was a hell lot of less work an it dropped his frontend but u can slam them with drop spindles an do a tri four link in the rear an make that baby sit rite, so i would say go ifs, an the tri 4 link is easy as well, if your worried about the frame u can always box it, i no people with some serious horsepower an dont have any prob, one guy even has twin turbos on a hopped up motor an its fine
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
JumboAMONGus

slammed it frame is fine for 1100hp
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote