The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Joemomma1

AAW 500560 install into a 66 GMC

I figured I would try to contribute something to this board so I'll post it for reference. I chose to run this setup becuase of how complete it is and what it will accommodate. I could not find a GMC specific kit and seeing as how the truck is pretty much a chevy now except for the dash and front end this will have to work. The wires are labled every 5 to 6 inches and the instructions are very detailed and make it easy to follow. I am currently prepping the floor and firewall for some POR-15 then Dynamat before I start rounting the wires (dont want to do it twice). I have removed the old harness and the grommets were as hard as a rock but a mini torch made quick work of it. I will post updates as quickly as work permits. I have never done something like this so any pointers or tips are appreciated. Ask any questions you may have and I will answer them as best as I can.

Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Clownpuncher

Re: AAW 500560 install into a 66 GMC

Im doing the samething. They make great kits. I've used them for other cars I've worked on and everytime they went in perfectly.

Did you do the headlamp relay kit as well? I normally do it now since you have to run all new wiring to the front lights anyway. This saves you time in the long run if you ever plan on doing this step in the future.

Good luck
Clownpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
awbrown

The harness doesnt look too bad , mine has been hacked and chopped here and there.
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Joemomma1

A little update..
I have mounted the fuse block and routed the harness under the dash. You will ned to remove the bolts holding the inner fender to the firewall and install the supplied longer bolts that will hold the backing plate for the new block.

Underhood view:

Underdash view:

The next thing to tackle was the instrument cluster. They supplied pigtails to connect your factory connector to thier quick connect. All of the wire colors matched the factories except for the GEN light(brown) and TEMP gauge(dark green). All that was required was to swap their positions on the GMC side of the haress.

The AAW pigtails had a ground(black) and a switched 12v wire(pink) on each of the supplied connectors. Only one was needed as the printed circuit on the GMC cluster ran the power and ground to all the necessary gauges and lights. I removed the two wires and was left with this:

I wanted to just use the correct non insulated GM bullet terminals but was unable to find them. The factory wires also had a thin oil film left after they were stripped that was visible in the solder joint. I used a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean them off. I am not trying to go too into detail as I want to touch on the items I felt were most important. If you have done the install before and feel I need to be corrected please let me know as this is my first attempt and will not know for sure if I have done something incorrectly untill I give this thing some juice.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
Im doing the samething. They make great kits. I've used them for other cars I've worked on and everytime they went in perfectly.

Did you do the headlamp relay kit as well? I normally do it now since you have to run all new wiring to the front lights anyway. This saves you time in the long run if you ever plan on doing this step in the future.

Good luck
I was planning on running it but was told over the phone on their tech line it shouldn't be necessary. I can't imagine having it anyways will hurt anything but I will try without and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
The harness doesnt look too bad , mine has been hacked and chopped here and there.

It wasn't, but with what I am going to run this would have become a fire hazard.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Clownpuncher

It should be fine. When I rewired another car they said the wiring alone will help but as an added just in case I got to an H4 setup it's already there..

Did you ad door pin switches?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

My aaw kit has the bullets. I am installing a DD VHX cluster so if I do not use them you are welcome to them.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
It should be fine. When I rewired another car they said the wiring alone will help but as an added just in case I got to an H4 setup it's already there..

Did you ad door pin switches?
I am going to, seeing as how they included courtesy lights under the dash. I am going to run the H4 setup, should I put in relays anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
My aaw kit has the bullets. I am installing a DD VHX cluster so if I do not use them you are welcome to them.
I would appericiate it man. Let me know what you do. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Clownpuncher

Just try it man. Im just a believer in relaying the headlamps, but it maybe overkill.

Are you needing the cluster bullets? If so I went with aftermarket gauges as well.