The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
jocko

bucket seat/console question(s)

Good evening gents, couple quick questions (am asking specifically about a 72 Cheyenne)...

Were buckets available in a Cheyenne or only in a Cheyenne Super?
Was houndstooth available in a non-Super?
For parchment buckets - was the console a matching parchment color or black?

Looking at an odd ochre/white combo where the guy did a nice job re-doing the interior, but not sure he did it quite right. He's got a white dash pad, solid white console, solid white door trim (assuming it's replacement) and solid white seats (i.e. non-houndstooth). This is mixed with saddle carpet, steering wheel and column... (I HAVE seen this combo before).

Always thought the dash pad was supposed to be black, etc. And a few other oddities. But overall a very nice truck - just a LOT of white that is kinda blinding. Could easily fix this and make it how I like it, and that'd be fine. Personally, on an ochre truck, I prefer black carpet, dash pad, wheel/column, etc with the parchment houndstooth. Again easy changes, that's why I'm seriously considering this truck.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Would LOVE to see any parchment or parchment/houndstooth BUCKET seat interior pics you may have guys.... Thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Leroy-B1

Re: bucket seat/console question(s)

Instead of the black I think it would look good with saddle dash pad (easy to dye that white one) add some woodgrain inserts in the doors...and either leave bucket and console alone or change console to saddle and use saddle/saddle houndstooth covers.....not sure how the white/saddle houndstooth would look may be okay...but traditionally around here the ochre trucks I have seen have more saddle in them than black...good luck...and

Oh yeah did see one truck here that was restored but the had black dash pad, parchment with parchement/black houndstooth buckets, parchemnt console...just as you described remember it being 4wd and looking good but never had a chance to snap any pics....it did look good though but for most part all the ochre truck I saw here had saddle
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The bucket seats never came with houndstooth,they were the scrolled vinyl in both Cheyennes and Cheyenne Supers. If it had a tilt wheel the steering wheel and all that would have been black. Without tilt it would have been Sandalwood. There were never any Parchment (White) dash pads. I think what you are calling Saddle is actually Sandalwood. It's more of a tan than a lt. brown. The consoles always matched the seats.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
sameyrasmea72

Buckets could be ordered on any level truck (custom to cheyenne super)

Houndstooth came on Cheyenne super bench seats only. People add houndstooth to buckets because they like it, it looks period correct, or they don't know it did not come that way.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
71 super

As has been said, buckets could be had in any truck, all you had to do was check the box. Would think that the dash pad would depend on tilt or not tilt- as tilt trucks got a black pad based on previous discussions here. Look at the seat belt color to help with the dash pad color as well. Typically the covers were the same color. Houndstooth was only on bench seats, buckets were straight vinyl. I for one used houndstooth on my 71 seats to help break up all of the black interior, plus houndstooth is just cool. In my 70 and 72 4x4 the stock vinyl is in place.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Here's my work on progress. Here's some before pics so you can see what colors were used.

I'm going to parchment. The yellow/black houndstooth was not available, but I think it should of been. I'll be changing the steering wheel for a black one at some point.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
jocko

Excellent info gents, thanks. Unfortunately, I called the number on craigslist for this truck - and I was not impressed. I will not share all the family details the poor guy's wife shared with me, lets just say he's "not available" to talk about the truck right now, nor will he be for a week or so, and I'll leave it at that. The lady had a signed title and wanted this thing to go!@!# It sounded a bit iffy to me, and then I went back to craigslist and looked beyond the point where I found the truck - and it was re-listed about 8 times, all in different cities/states... Hmmm. Fishier yet.

So I'm not probably not pursuing.

Great info anyway, I've wondered this stuff anyway.

Special K -
- so, no houndstooth buckets (from the factory) - that is interesting, but it sounds correct, thanks for confirming!
- are you saying that tilt columns were only available in black - therefore they got black steering wheels, and black dash pads? Interesting, never heard such a thing. But I have noticed black vs body/interior color matching columns/wheels. I had a 72 with white/red/white exterior and black (non-tilt) wheel, black dash pad and black scroll seat. (oh, I miss her...)

Sameyrasmea,
(I LOVE YOUR TRUCK - and it's similar to one I'm gonna go visit down in Escondido - not for sale, but just gonna say hey to the owner and let him know "if he's ever interested in selling....")
Please tell me you don't have all those buckets laying around your house...? Can you adopt me?

Zoomin - LOVE the white/yellow/black houndstooth, truck looks great.

I've seen the saddle/sandalwood in many ochre/white trucks, just didn't do much for me, but that's just me.

Thanks all, appreciate all the help.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Sameyrasmea,
(I LOVE YOUR TRUCK - and it's similar to one I'm gonna go visit down in Escondido - not for sale, but just gonna say hey to the owner and let him know "if he's ever interested in selling....")
Please tell me you don't have all those buckets laying around your house...? Can you adopt me?

I wish that was my truck. It is one that the Cheyenne Superman built and all those buckets are his except one set is mine.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
jocko

Cheyenne Superman, you say? I don't believe I've met him yet.... Seems like a good friend to have! Either way, love that red/white truck.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great info already shared. I'll add that if you're trying to figure if the truck came with buckets (besides the SPID which can be faked) your best "tell" is underneath the truck. Trucks with buckets had a special bracket setup to mount the buckets and it tied all the way across from one side to the other.

Also, there would have been carpet over the gas tank on trucks with buckets so there are usually screw holes on the back wall of the cab under the window unless the carpet is in place or they filled them in....

And...the jacking instructions/posi stickers were many times in the console between the seats and not on the back of the cab behind the passenger side like on bench seat trucks (although I've seen trucks with factory buckets with them in both places)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Leroy-B1

I heard Cheyenne superman...AKA Gerry Terry was no longer fooling with trucks anyone know anything? I know he wasn't at Charlotte this past year
Posted via Mobile Device
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Here are my buckets...

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  83.1 KB
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy-B1 View Post
I heard Cheyenne superman...AKA Gerry Terry was no longer fooling with trucks anyone know anything? I know he wasn't at Charlotte this past year
Posted via Mobile Device
He doesn't do much anymore and as you mentioned hasn't done shows in a while. His son actually was the one doing most of the work lately according to him. His son now opened a modifying business for late model trucks and has a ton of work with new dealerships in the area so he's been helping him with that. He sold most of his NOS a while back, hasn't built a truck in a couple years, and told me he only plans to build one more truck and one more blazer (for himself and his son)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
OhioDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
He doesn't do much anymore and as you mentioned hasn't done shows in a while. His son actually was the one doing most of the work lately according to him. His son now opened a modifying business for late model trucks and has a ton of work with new dealerships in the area so he's been helping him with that. He sold most of his NOS a while back, hasn't built a truck in a couple years, and told me he only plans to build one more truck and one more blazer (for himself and his son)
Sorry to hear that. Bought my bed from him a few years back. Hope all is well?
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
jocko

don't know what it is, but there's something about an all red interior that is just cool. JWall love that truck, looks great.
My favorite color for early 60's impalas and bel airs was always black or white, but the interior HAD to be red. Big fan.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDan View Post
Sorry to hear that. Bought my bed from him a few years back. Hope all is well?
He's fine as far as I know...he just mentioned he was helping his son with his new business so not doing much with our trucks any more.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
2003 silverado

heres the set up that I believe is stock.blk dash/carpet/wheel.
Attached Images

1997 Ford focus (Beater)
2003 ford Taurus (student)
2014 Ford Fusion HYB (wife)
2003 Jetta ( Student)
2003 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
.....or they don't know it did not come that way.
LOL! That would be me. Doh!

Anyway, a related question. What color belts are correct for parchment bucket seats? Black and/or parchment? My parchment bench truck came with black belts.

Thanks Pete

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
leddzepp

Seatbelts could go either way, I think. My Super came with Parchment interior, but the seatbelts are black.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Good to know Scott - similar to mine then. Was yours a bucket or bench truck? Makes me wonder what trucks got parchment belts. Maybe the guy at the GM plant made the decision

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
leddzepp

Pete- It was originally a parchment/houndstooth bench seat. The dashpad was also black. I think you are right, the guy at GM made the decision.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote