The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
dcbrewer61

Question 1971 K10 SWB Restoration/Paint Questions?

Background: I own a 1971 K10 SWB, Im the 3rd owner, I purchased it in 1983. Except for the engine which was originally a Inline 6, which now has a 350CID, the truck is original or OEM replacement parts. The original color was Medium Green. In my younger(possibly foolish) days I changed the color to Black then Chevy Midnight Blue(now chipping). Im in the middle of fixing some rust in the bed, replacing cab supports etc. Im doing the work myself, in my spare time.
The frame, glove box and door frame all have matching numbers, indicating medium green, K10 and SWB. Once body work is complete I was going to paint it myself, this would be the 4th time since I have owned it.. I paid for the paint job last time, it lasted about 4 years before paint started chipping.

Question: Should I paint the truck its original color(medium green) since all numbers reflect medium green? Would that increase its value? Or does it not matter since I do not have the original engine? Im most likely going to sell the truck once I get the cab supports and bed back decent shape.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
dcbrewer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
72LSK10

Re: 1971 K10 SWB Restoration/Paint Questions?

If you're going for original, then you're going to have to go back to the inline 6. I would paint it whatever color you like and run with it, if you're going to sell it, or even think about doing so... You may consider a "common" color to appease the potential buyer. Seems like many are deterred by flashy colors. Hope this helps.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

I wouldn't even worry about painting it.
I would get the truck as solid and complete as possible, since more people I think want a complete running truck to build to their taste, that means they will want to paint it their favorite color.

Once you get it running good and everything works, take a step back and check your finances. Figure out if you still want to sell it, or maybe it turns out that you want to keep it - then paint it a color you like.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
dcbrewer61

Thanks for the input! Balancing the scale on whether there is any value added to keep it original color is a difficult choice. So, in the replies so far, exterior and interior color would be a matter of personal choice.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome to the site!
Like has been said before....since it's not the original engine and you are doing this to sell it I wouldn't paint it at all. My brother and I have looked at a lot of trucks lately and we would rather buy one like yours without paint, so we can see what we really are looking at, body work, etc. The market is a buyer's market now and people that are looking at this stuff are leery of "fresh paint" on older vehicles. Plus paint shops are looking for work and you can get a pretty good deal right now.
So I say let the buyer paint it any color they want.
Just my $.02 worth
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

If you are going to paint it,paint it the original color. That is always the best choice unless you are building a full custom where there is no connection to original.You look at a truck with a non-original engine and you can't tell. It's an enhancement,not an alteration. The engine can easily be swapped back to original if someone wants that,and your truck will be close already for those buyers. To the rest...you can't go wrong with "any" original color.It's how these trucks were made and everybody loves them. No one can ever question why you picked that color..."It's original"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
dcbrewer61

Great Reasons and justification.
Is there any way to match the VIN to the original color? ( Except for the sticker on the glove box door)