The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Redleg

What Can I do and How?

Ok, had a depressing thing happen to me this past week.

Was driving down the road nad hit a pretty good bump. Well it then started to rain lil pieces of rust and paint above my steering wheel. I knew it had a couple of spots above the windshield, but after i got it home and pulled back some of the windshield rubber i realized it needs a lot more work than a quick small bondo patch. I now have some pretty good size holes above the windshield and around to cab corner.....

So, what are my options? Keep in mind this is a daily driver so replacing the cab is not an option right now. (unless the wife buys in to the letting me buy a square body 4x4 full size blazer or suburban)......

The windshield is cracked and will have to be replaced at the end of Februrary so i can get a new inspection sticker.

My thoughts were i would take a 4 day weekend in there sometime and either cut out or bust out windshield myself and try and do any repairs i could and have the windshield replaced the last day......

So, what could i do? Patch panel? bondo? cut and reshape medal and weld over bad spots?

Any and all help is going to be greatly appreciated....
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
black_sheep454

Re: What Can I do and How?

If you want it to last a lOng time you best bet is a patch panel welded in. If you just want to get buy for a while I'd just use some fiber glass to fill and bondo to smoth it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Redleg

Took a couple of crappy cell phone pics to give you guys an idea of what i am talking about.

From the middle of the cab all the way to the passenger door is perfectly fine. Only problem is from the middle of the driver sunvisor to the door....
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
mrein3

That is a common rust-out area for these trucks and there is a patch panel.
I've welded in a couple different patches in my life and am in NO way a professional. I'm not afraid of much but I wouldn't attempt to fix that.

If you do buy the patch and get it in there, make sure you then address the problem that caused this issue. The sealer in the rain gutter above that rust. You need to dig it all out, apply new, then paint it to match.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
sanford66

If one side looks that bad usually the other side is not going to be too far behind it. You could use fiberglass to patch it but that is only a temperary fix and you will for sure have to pull the windsheild to do it. You also don't know what the steel lip that the windsheild gasket sets in looks like either, once you pull it apart it could be rusted or completly gone. Sorry to be all gloom & doom but i don't think there's any way to half-@ss this repair. Just my opinion, good luck with it. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
lil hoodlum

I replaced the cab in my daily driver several years ago. I did have help though. A good friend of mine helped with the removal and setting the "new" cab in place. I had it back on the road in 2 days.

I had prepped the cab, (painted firewall, seam sealed everything, and had a new windshield installed), before the swap over.

We didn't even use anything to make the swap over either. A stripped cab isn't really that heavy for 2 guys with the doors off. After unbolting the cab mounts, I stood on the driver side rocker while my buddy "shoved" the cab over. We then just slid it off and shoved it out of the way. We put the "new" cab back on the same way. Just titled it to one side, and slid it back onto the frame. Bolted the cab back on and began re-assembly.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
rsavage

Not to depress you, but there is a good chance that the flange that the windshield gasket lips over is going to be gone in that area. You won't know until you pull the windshield out. I'd suggest a new gasket for sure along with the windshield. You are probably going to need to be prepared for some fairly extensive repair work. Might be easier to have a new top welded on or change cabs. I don't know what your skill level is but that repair would certainly be beyond my abilities and I don't think it is something that is going to be done in a day or two by a shop. Keep us posted - hope it works out well for you.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Redleg

Thanks for all the suggestions....

I dont want to do this half ass. I would love to just replace the cab. That would be the best thing as the rockers are shot as well and im sure the cab supports are starting to get rough even though they look pretty good right now.

I have been looking at the patch panels. Is this a cut the current piece out and weld this one in place? Or weld over? Does the patch panel piece itself affect the window? Will the new patch panel go all the way down and to the windown mounting seal and mounting area?

I have 2 thoughts right now. 1 is something i dont want to do, but would get me by. Fiberglass and Bondo it and do a temp fix that will last a year or 2 and then be able to park the truck and do a full restore and replace the whole cab.

2 is to suck it up. Buy the patch panel, and either try to do it myself in my carport with limited tools and a borrowed welder, or find an autobody shop to help out.....

I guess what i really want to know is, how good are these patch panels and does anyone have experience with them?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
lil hoodlum

Before I made the cab swap, I had filled the void with window screen material and bondo. Did it look bad? You bet! But I did what I had to do to get me by for a couple of years to fix it correctly.

As someone else mentioned, you could just replace the entire top. I think the cuts are made at the windshield posts and throught the back window. I think that could be done fairly quickly at least until you have the means to do it correctly.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Redleg

Ok, only had to work a half day today so i had some time this afternoon to do a full inspection of the truck. Front to back, top to bottom, in and out.

I did it because after finding the severe rust on the cab ceiling I was honestly considering trying to recoup my money out of the truck and start from scratch with a more solid truck.

So i went over the truck...... And was actually pleasently suprised at what i found.

The only true rust is in in the ceiling and the rocker panels. The cab floor, corners, panels, back, is all in GREAT shape. I was really surprised at how well it looked underneath doing a close up inspection. I have decided to replace the whole bed though. I really want to go with a stepside....

So, i then decided to try something and cut a a chunk of the inner window trim out where the rust is in the corner and am happy to report that the lip that holds the windown and trim is fine. So now im not sure how i want to proceed. I think i will get the patch panel and go from there.

I did come across a problem under the hood, had a nice little coolant leak. Turns out the coolant hose is a little aged and the clamp had worn a whole in it down by the thermostat. So Im replacing the hose in the morning.

Then i accidentally did something. I was getting out from under the truck and used the tire to push myself up. I caught the atlas White Wall insert and ripped it off. So, I proceeded to take all 4 off. (going to replace tires soon so no biggy. But i do like how it looks without them.. So they are staying off for now!!

So after all this. I will let you guys know next month when i take the windshield out and start the repair work. Keep your fingers crossed that it goes smooth.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
71swb4x4

You probably know this but just in case, when buying a patch panel rarely do you use the whole thing, cut out the bad metal in the roof, and cut out the patch panel to match. You don't need to use the whole patch panel.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
You probably know this but just in case, when buying a patch panel rarely do you use the whole thing, cut out the bad metal in the roof, and cut out the patch panel to match. You don't need to use the whole patch panel.
Thanks for the info! Not going to lie. Probably not going to try and tackle this alone. Going to do it at the house but hopefully recruit some help!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Good luck man take LOTS of pictures, if your floors not that bad id fix it with the patch. If the floors shot and a replacment cab cant be found in a month id jerry rig it till i gota better cab.

im in now love that truck to

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

If you are going to patch it, make sure you remedy the cause first. I had a similar issue with mine. Turns out the sealant in the rain gutter looked as though it was in good shape; but it really wasn't and in some places was actually bond. You might consider swapping out the roof- as I did.
I found a cab in the salvage- that was on its way to the crusher. Surprisingly, the roof was the only rust free metal on the cab. I cut off midway at the pillars and hauled it home. Measured 100's of times- tack welded angle supports within the cab to minimize twist and cut. Sat the donor in place and welded it off. Did it in a weekend...
Good luck with your project.

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote