The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
dirtyshoprags

Compatible Radiators

Not long ago while trying to bust some rusted nuts on the radiator core support on my 65 C20 I slipped and put a ratchet right through my radiator. It's alright though, because the radiator had been patched with JB Weld about two dozen times already so I knew I was ready for a new one.

Well, a new one from the parts house is about $215. To get the old one re-cored will run about $190. I haven't been able to find any used ones and I'm not really wanting to spend that much, so I went to the junk yard to see if I could find a close match. I found a couple mid 90s Dodge Dakotas and Isuzu Rodeos that look like they might fit. They look similar in width and the inlet/outlet are in the right spots. The support for the original radiator is fairly simple with just the two u-shaped brackets on the bottom, and the one bracket that bolts into the core support on the top, so fitting one of these new radiators in should not be too difficult. I may have to fabricate a simple bracket for the top or use the one that comes with the used radiator, but I'm totally OK with that.

My question is, does anyone have experience with compatible radiators? What have you used? What works? Should I just suck it up and buy a new one? Any input helps. Oh yeah, this is for a 230 inline 6 engine.
dirtyshoprags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Compatible Radiators

I got my Aluminum radiator off ebay, here is who I bought it from, this shows a 2core, they have 3 and 4 core ones too.

http://www.reliableradiator.com/serv...luminum/Detail

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
dirtyshoprags

I went to the junk yard again today and pulled one from a Dodge Dakota. Decided to take the chance for $35. Anyway, it fits pretty good. I only had to make some minor modifications to the top bracket.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
S-31

Do you know what year dakota it was and which engine it was running? Im gonna need one in my truck soon and really dont have a couple hundred bucks to shell out right now.
S-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
dirtyshoprags

Not sure on the exact year, but I'm sure it was early or mid 90s though. It was the boxier body style. And it had a 6-cyl engine in it. Top braket will need some modification because the filler cap is in the middle of the radiator.