The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
JumboAMONGus

rearend lug pattern

is there anyone who will weld up and redrill axles so i can go from 6 lug to 5 lug axles or does anyone know of a good set of axles that will swap out or am i gonna have to switch rearends i do have a spare 67 camaro 10bolt just dont wanna use it for my truck but if i have to buy new axles for 300bucks then i probly will change it .some one in washington so i can save on shipping
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: rearend lug pattern

Dutchman's in Portland does them http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ You could probably set up an appointment to where you could run them down and drop them off, go to lunch or shopping and then pick them up later in the day.

I'd imagine that there are shops within 20 miles of where you are at that can do it easily enough as it somewhat of a normal machine shop operation. That would be job shop machine shop rather than automotive machine shop though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
JumboAMONGus

ive been calling around and google searching most places say no ,its to dangerouse .and then i google search and read on people having done at there local machine shop ,,lol i just swap out the rearend ,i like the looks of the older chevy rearends then a newer 60s 10 bolt , when i can afford good axles ill buy custom made ones , i called dutchmen they said they dont do c clip axles the flanges get brinttle when you weld them only pressed bearing axles .

Last edited by JumboAMONGus; 01-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
55dude

check out some of the modern wheel adaptors, not those "cal custom" ones from the 70's that were cast pieces. buddie of mine run them on a jeep he owns with zero issues after 9 months.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Maximus

for a couple bucks you can buy pre-made leaf spring perches to weld on to your camaro rear end. one day under the truck and and cutting off old mounts/welding on two new leaf spring mounts and you will be done...
I wouldnt play the game with your axles, just swap the rear ends.

If i may ask, why do you resist using the camaro rear?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
JumboAMONGus

its open diff plus its for the camaro spare ,,nothing against it just didnt want to use it and my old rearend has all new brakes and seals compared to the camaro one sitting outside for that last 5 years and all the brakes hardware is even missing drums ,and i have 4:11 in stock camaro rearend is like 2:73 not sure how its gonna be on with a 4 speed 283 ..leaf spring perches be here in 4 days ,,lol 13$ ebay haha