The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

trailing arms vs. a parallel 4 link...

this is for my '49 chevy 1/2 ton on a s10 frame, static drop (no bags).

i'm playing with the idea of using a trailing arm set-up from later model trucks (i've got one laying around)

my question is if i were to use coil overs would there be an advantage/disadvantage to a trailing arm set-up vs. a parallel 4 link?

my goal is a daily driver (healthy 350/700r4 combo) that handles great and i can drive the snot out of

thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
texastrendz

Re: trailing arms vs. a parallel 4 link...

with the trailing arms you are going to get some pinion angle change when the suspension is cycled. with a parallel 4 link, when setup right, you are not going to have any pinion angle change. when you set it up with the trailing arm you might have to shim the rear or relocate the axle brackets. the suspension gurus will jump in hopefully and talk about anti squat, roll center, live center and all the tech. stuff. lol. good luck with the project.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The pinion angle does change on a truck arm setup but the joint does not change much relative to the shaft angle which is what your concerned about. I have a 72 that I load up heavy, its squats about 4 inches down in the back and I have no issues with vibration and pinion angles.

On parallel bars the joint angle changes a lot more. But remember your not moving the suspension much more that a inch in either direction while driving. So it shouldn't be an issue with either one. Truck arms ride much better in my opinion.

trailing arms, truck arms are the same thing. Its what NASCAR uses for rear suspension
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM...BRAINS... View Post
this is for my '49 chevy 1/2 ton on a s10 frame, static drop (no bags).

i'm playing with the idea of using a trailing arm set-up from later model trucks (i've got one laying around)
my question is if i were to use coil overs would there be an advantage/disadvantage to a trailing arm set-up vs. a parallel 4 link?

my goal is a daily driver (healthy 350/700r4 combo) that handles great and i can drive the snot out of

thanks.
When you mention 'trailing-arm set-up from a later model', are you referring to the C4L (converging/triangulated 4-link) arrangement on GM products?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
When you mention 'trailing-arm set-up from a later model', are you referring to the C4L (converging/triangulated 4-link) arrangement on GM products?
i'm referring to the set up used (dont know the exact years, but..) in alot of 1960s chevy trucks.

like so:
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
The pinion angle does change on a truck arm setup but the joint does not change much relative to the shaft angle which is what your concerned about. I have a 72 that I load up heavy, its squats about 4 inches down in the back and I have no issues with vibration and pinion angles.

On parallel bars the joint angle changes a lot more. But remember your not moving the suspension much more that a inch in either direction while driving. So it shouldn't be an issue with either one. Truck arms ride much better in my opinion.

trailing arms, truck arms are the same thing. Its what NASCAR uses for rear suspension
thanks for the input. i won't be doing any HEAVY loading/hauling with this truck, maybe a smal trailer here and there.
i'm gonna start doing some measuring tonight and move forward with the trailing arm set up. i've heard nothing but good about the ride and (with the right springs/shocks) the handling.
i also have to admit i've done alot of reading here from robnolimit
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

which inspired me to,...well, "make it handle".