The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Rudoo

Accepting PayPal question

I couldn't find an anwer to this in the threads. So, I am hoping someone who has sold a truck and used PayPal to accept payment will answer me.
I am selling my truck, someone who is interested wants to pay through PayPal and they said they will cover fees. I am just somewhat leary. Is this safe? This is the way the person wants to pay as he works off shore and this is easiest for him. As with most truck sales, the sale is "as is" and truck info is disclosed. By going through PayPal, do they have anyway to "return" truck, say if they change their mind. Once it's done, I want it done. Any info will help.
Thanks,
Jonna
Rudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Accepting PayPal question

Absolutely they can pull their payment if they are not satisfied. Paypal handles the resolution, you won't have as much input as you wish. The only way I would do it is a bank wire transfer, or check/money order and both ways I would only release the truck after my bank has assured me that the payment has cleared.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Bardahl

For small buy/sell amounts PayPal is OK, or if a business/vendor/board member is buying/selling I use it, or on Ebay if they accept it as payment, However I Would not accept paypal for anything but maybe a 100$-500$ deposit on a car/truck, I think if you receive the $$ as goods (option on PayPal) they do not ding you a %?? Its risky in the sense that the buyer could get pay pal buyers protection to mess w/you about quality of vehicle or a # of problems/things, pay pal is all about the buyers and can leave the sellers on the short end of the straw IMO,I give the buyer my bank routing # and they $$ is sent from their bank to mine, when $$ is securely in my account then the title is sent overnight priority mail (I pay the 30-40$ for the mailing) and they arrange for the car/or whatever it is to be shipped, I work w/their shipper to get car loaded or drop it off at a shipping Co. that they choose. hope this helps.
Bardahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
_Ogre

i only use paypal for a hold deposit of 100-500
then cash or any form of cleared payment
ebay/paypal fees can really eat up a large chunk

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
mr48chev

People have run into that issue in the past when the buyer decided to back out on the deal for some reason.

It might be more prudent on your part to ask for a reasonable deposit via paypal with the rest due via bank transfer or other means that will have to clear your bank before release of the vehicle and title.

Trust is a two way street and you have to remember that the buyer may be wondering if and no doubt his friends have put the thought in his mind that there is the possibility that you have misrepresented the vehicle in your add and wants some avenue of recourse if that is the case.
We read on here and other forums every week of cases where someone in the group has purchased a vehicle that was represented as being better than it was or hidden issues weren't disclosed. I'm not saying that is the case and I hope that it isn't but there are many individuals who make a living or side living by buying and flipping vehicles after spiffing them up just enough to make them interesting to a prospective buyer on the net. There are a couple of build threads on here right now where the project vehicle was in no where near the condition that the seller said it was when the current owner purchased it.

If the truck is exactly as you represented it and maybe actually a bit better and you disclosed any issues that it has and feel that you have been honest in your add and pricing and are pretty well positive that the buyer will be more than happy with the purchase I don't see an issue with taking Paypal except that it may be hard to draw a large sum of cash out at one time. If it isn't maybe you had better ask for cash greenies on the barrel head and cross your fingers that he doesn't start a "look at the hidden issue's with this truck that that guy sold me" thread.

Sorry about being so long winded on this but it seems to be an on going issue both ways.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Rudoo

Thanks everyone. The truck does have some issues, but I have told them this. I told them the reason I was selling was because I don't have the tools or place to do these repairs. From what I have read and some people who saw the truck, the issues really aren't a big deal to someone who has the garage and tools. If I give him my bank rounting #, there is no way he can do anything with my account, is there? He is offshore, so I don't know if it will be a problem for him to wire money. Can he do that from there?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
71swb4x4

If he is offshore why is he coming all the way to the US to buy a truck that has "issues"? Are you sure this thing is legit?

My last job I wired money all over the world, and our company was paid from companies all over the world. It doesn't matter where they are. Walk into your bank and ask them the best way for you to get paid for your truck.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Rudoo

He is buying the truck for his son and is having it shipped to him. I will e-mail him back and tell him my terms. If he wants the truck, he will do it. If not, maybe I am better off.
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudoo View Post
Thanks everyone. If I give him my bank rounting #, there is no way he can do anything with my account, is there? He is offshore, so I don't know if it will be a problem for him to wire money. Can he do that from there?
Go in and talk to your banker and ask how the bank wants it handled. He (she in my case) should be able to tell you the best and safest way to do it and what info to give out and what info not to give out.

My go to bank person has always helped make things work right and that is probably the best advice I can give.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Rudoo

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Bardahl

They will have no way to get to your bank account if you give them the routing # this is just to get$$to your bank and your bank will deposit it into your account, I just went through this with my bank and asked lots of questions, we were going to open a separate account to do the car transactions and after sitting down with the account manager at our bank she assured us that no way can they get into an account or take money out of an account w/routing # information given out to someone. so we used an existing account. and also do not accept money orders either unless they are US Postal service, if the $$ are in a bank check make sure the funds clear and are secure in your account before releasing anything including title or paperwork this usually takes 5-7 business days, I just call my bank and see exactly when it is clear (not when it is deposited but when it is in fact cleared)
Bardahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Rudoo

Thanks Bardahl
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
azsnow

Sounds like a scam to me. They contact you, send you an email that looks like its through PayPal confirming your payment has been recieved and then after you ship your truck, you find out its a fake! My brother did this with a laptop, and got screwed! Same story, buying it for his kid, and you ship it. Fraud written all over it! I bet you had it listed on Craigs List, and this is where he contacted you from.
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Rudoo

Yep, it was on Craigs list. Oh, I hope it is not a scam! I want it sold! I wrote him back with terms-no PayPay. If he wants truck and it's real-he'll do it. If not, I'm safe. He didn't want me to ship it though. He said he would cover PayPal fees and arrange for someone to come and pick truck up. So, maybe it is legit. I'll let you all know!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
LEEVON

Man, I don't like the smell of this. If you're able to post up some of his communication I'll bet we can sniff out if it's legit or not...responded by Craigslist, off shore and paypal? Three huge red flags...

Have you spoken to this person?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Rudoo

No.... and he said he couldn't call be due to bad weather on rig. Another red flag, huh? Here is the first conversation, it sounded pretty normal:

Do you still have it for sale and what the recent condition and reason for selling also what's the final sale price?

Charles.
Then here is the 2nd I got, which got me suspicious-

Hello,
Thanks for the mail, I'm seriously interested in buying this for my
son and am okay with your selling price, I'm a Petroleum Engineer and
currently offshore i really want this as a surprise gift for my son so
i won't let him know anything about this until it get delivered to
him. You can mail me back with your paypal email address so i can make
the payment to you right now and if you don't have an account with
paypal you can set up an account today as it's secured and reliable
visit their website on www.paypal.com i will be responsible for the
payment fees/charges on this transaction. Do not worry about shipping
or picking up as my pick up agent will come and pick it up from you
once have made the payment to you and your full address and phone
number will be needed for the pickup arrangement I would love to speak
with you through the phone but due to my work as a Petroleum Engineer
i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to
bad weather, We can still communicate through the email exchange for
now.
I will be looking forward to read back from you real soon with the
paypal email address and your full address including phone number for
the pickup arrangement.

Charles.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
robzilla

i got a similar email when i was selling my road bike.....
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
67swb72klb

i smell a .........scam....or ..well u know
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
71swb4x4

Completely fake. Do not even waste your time further on this.
All of his emails in the beginning are very generic, they send them out for 100's of items. He doesn't even mention that it's a truck.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Rudoo

Some people are just scum aren't they?!?!?!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I've received the same type on offer. Out of country want to buy for family member set up paypal etc. They disappear when I tell them no paypal or deposit to hold. Then I suggest they give the shipper the money and pay me at pick up time. Never to be heard from again. Never a mention of the vehicle just called it. Try googling the guys name and see what comes up.

sound anything like this one I received?
Hello, Thanks for mailing back,i really appreciate it, am really interested in it and i will appreciate it if you can keep this item for me. Due to the nature of my job,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check this advert. I cant be able to come and view it and. pay in cash but i have contact, a pick up company they will be coming to pick it after i have paid for it,i can only pay through Paypal as i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account and this is why I insisted on paying you through PayPal,so kindly get back to me with your full name and paypal email address so i can proceed with the payment now,but if you don't have an account with them you can set up a paypal account via [ul]www.paypal.com[/ul] it very easy and fast, it wont take you than 3 minute to do that,I will proceed with the payment as soon as you send me your paypal email address and contact the pick up agent to arrange a convenient pickup time with you,once payment has been transferred and cashed. I believe i can trust you on this transaction. I hope to read back from you soon. Thanks Oliver

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
dmwphoto

this is clearly a scam. I know you want it sold but this is not your buyer.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
drivea55

I have been through this also...

it is scam worthy to say the least.

also, I can be sure that the paypal he will send you payment from will not be the same address he wants the truck sent to. when accepting paypal you should only ship the the confirmed address. I bet it get sent "unconfirmed"

dont do it

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Russell Ashley

What everyone else has said. It's a scam. My son has a motorcycle business and got almost the exact story for a motorcycle he was selling. Claimed to be on an oil rig, buying for son, can't make phone calls (but had internet), wanted to paypal the money, and never said they wanted to buy the motorcycle, always wanted to buy "your item".
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Red Foreman

Hi Guy's, can I give you an off sure buyers perspective on this issue? First I'll start by telling you that the oil rig deal is scam scam scam Here in Aust were not immuned from these A%s H@les either, the scammers from counties like nigeria,Indonesia, Yugoslavia, Lithunia, Romania, Turkey, Russia & Pakistan target our classified ads, they set up fake Paypal pages & ask you to pay into them. Do not deal or waist your time with them!!!

Now in saying that I have purchased eight vehicles on line (mainly ebaymotors, craigslist & referals) from the US over the last 10 years, cheapest car 7k dearest 28k, I would first make contact by email & then by phone. Calls would be several & can go as long as an hour. I would need to feel comfortable with the deal & the seller, remember I'm the one sending the funds, my main & only concern was not so much the condition of the vehicle, as I think I have a keen eye & have asked the correct questions but wether I would get anything at all in return for my money.

Standard practice for me, I would payal 1k as a deposit & then go to my bank with the sellers full bank details (routing# or swift code) pay the rest & would be in their account within a couple of hours & cleared in their account within 1 1/2 days.

In the meantime I have organised ground shipping to pick up from the seller & send to shipping port.

ps: I despise these parasites that are scammers, they try & take our hard earned money "that doesn't come easy" from the comfort of their pc.

On a lighter note, here's my 56 GMC getting picked up from the nice old guy I bought it from back in 07. Sorry for rambling!
Attached Images

Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote