The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
jlaw'85

Question Transmisson

I have an '85 with a 305 and 350 tubro transmisson. When I put the truck in gear, the trans will not engage. I give the gas peddle a push the truck will not move. I just had this trans rebuilt a year and half ago. Is the trans shot or is there something else that might be the problem? I am not mechanic, so please give the answers in simple terms.
Thanks
Joe

Last edited by jlaw'85; 04-25-2003 at 09:58 AM.
jlaw'85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Mike76251

I would look at the linkage first.
With the truck off....have somebody move the lever and look to see that you linkage is moving at the trans.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Also, make sure it has enough trans fluid in it.

Slonaker
Old 04-25-2003, 11:22 AM   #4
gldevall

Yeah, sounds like there may not be enough fluid in it.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
PHOENIX

Fluid is very very important to automatic transmissions. They will not operate correctly without the proper fluid at the proper level.

I agree that you check the fluid level and linkage.
Before this problem started did you notice any weird sounds?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

it also depends on the type of the rebuild kit the rebuilder used. Anytime ive gone to one of those mom and pop shops and theyve used the cheapest parts they could find ,i kill the tranny in about a year. Lately ive found a rebuilder who uses the factory rebuild kits( at least thats what im told) that are made by the factory for the truck itself, and ive had no problems, and i beat the hell outta my truck hauling waaay too much weight for waaay to long a distance.
If youre guilty of beating the hell outta your truck first off you should install a tranny cooler to make sure that the heat is disappated as heat is what kills the fluid and then the tranny.
If your truck aint going into gear first off check the fluid level and the fluid color. If thats good then go under and check the linkage with both the emergency brake on and someone in the truck stamping on the brake pedal. if both of those check out ok, and the electrical wires are properly hooked up its time for a tranny
good luck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:23 AM   #7
Mike76251

Man...I second what Old Rusty said there,
I have the largest cooler made and plumbed it with 3/8" stainless (rubber hoses leak) and my trans temp guage never gets over 225F.
This is when hauling 8000lbs too.

If anybody needs....I have a extra stacked-plate cooler NIB that I don't need.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Welcome to the site.
Did you find the problem?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #9
jlaw'85

Angry

I worked on this problem over the weekend. The transmisson is full of fluid and the linkage is working. The problem is that when the truck is put in gear, I have to give it a lot of gas before it will move in either forward or reverse. For example, I have to stomp on the gas pedal to get the truck to go on some ramps. Does this sound like my transmisson is blown or could this be something else?
Thanks
Joe
Old 05-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Sounds like bad news. Sounds like tranny rebuild/replace time to me. Just make sure to not take it back to the same shop who rebuilt it the last time.

Just curious. Did this problem just all at once happen, or did it sort of start off slowly and work it's way up to not working at all?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #11
jlaw'85

This happen all at once! I was driving on the highway doing about 60 mph when i noticed my truck was acting like it was in netural. I pulled over and shut the truck off, turned it back over and put it in gear and everything was fine. The next day the truck seemed like it did not want to shift out of first gear. What sucks is that I had this rebuilt about two years ago with a B&M shift kit in there. (it has a trans cooler setup) I thought it would last longer than this?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:26 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

It may be something as simple as the converter being shot, if you call that simple. Did you install a new converter when you had it rebuilt?

I'm no tranny expert, just guessing at things I think it might be. Hope it ends up being something that doesn't cost you a arm and two legs.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #13
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

its bye bye time. if the trans is slipping, or acting like its going into neutral, you've got something broken internally somewhere. when that happens, the fluid flow distributes the debris throughout the trans. time to bite the bullet and replace it again.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #14
rockman20
"The dude abides"

I am very limited on my transmission knowladge so I am just telling you what I would check.

First, did you replace the torque converter when you had the transmission redone?

Second, what is your fluid like? Take and wipe your finger in it and rub your fingers together. (make sure your hands are clean) do you feel any grit in it? Does the fluid smell burnt?

I would say that it sounds like the torque converter went out. But I am no expert by any means! But the way that it happened all of a sudden, I would suspect the TC. Usually clutches will start to slip before hand.

Were you towing anything at the time?

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:55 PM   #15
82BlackBeast

I'll admit I'm no expert either, I've done a tranny rebuild or three but that's about it. I'd say look at the converter first though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya cuz replacing the converter is gonna be quite a bit cheaper than having the tranny rebuilt or replaced.

'82 Chevy SWB
82BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:45 AM   #16
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

DO NOT PUT A NEW CONVERTER ON A TRANS THAT IS POSSIBLY TOASTED! that's an excellent way to put debris in a known good converter, making it useless unless its cut apart, cleaned and welded back together which isnt cheap.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #17
82BlackBeast

yeah, find a used one to try first, cuz ya never know. The shop I go to has a couple stock one's in their shop for testing, hopefully you can find one somewhere nearby.

'82 Chevy SWB
82BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote