The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Gator Alum

Newbie Needs Help Finding Truck

Hello Everyone-

I'm new to the site but have been stalking a while. I have to admit, I have been a member of many car sites in the past and the friendliness, willingness to help, camaraderie that everyone has here is amazing! Kudos!

I have gotten the itch to rehab/restore a 2nd series truck. I am not a big fan of the Apache or Fleetside styles. I'd like to rehab the truck enough to be a daily driver until I get a bigger home and garage to do a full frame off. I like original, so numbers matching would be preferred (I don't even know where the VIN codes are on the frame/body or the motor).

For the longest time I thought I would get a 60-66 C10 until I stumbled on this design. The elegance, curves, headlights, hood... I just fell in love. My problem just seems to be finding one. These things are rare. My budget is in the $5000 range for the truck and I'm wondering what you guys think I could get for that amount. I could also use some help with sites for listings of old trucks. I have searched all of craigslist in the southeast, HAMB, stovebolt, ebay, autotrader classics and haven't found much closeby. Anyone else have hiding spots they check regularly?

Does anyone have any experience shipping trucks across the country? Should I fly out to look at it first? How much does it cost to ship across a few states?

Sorry for the long message, but I have exhausted my internet searching abilities. I currently reside in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Newbie Needs Help Finding Truck

Welcome, I and probably some of the others am at a quandary as to exactly what year of truck you are looking for.
Having a background as a mechanic who worked in shops for a number of years I have a tendency to want to look for a truck with a really good and solid body and not be as concerned about the condition of the engine. Most older engines will need rebuilt anyhow so one that is really tired might just need a bit more rebuilding than one that runs ok.

Check the classifieds here and on other forums. Guys here often post links to craigslist adds for interesting trucks that they spot that they think someone else might be interested in. Someone may even have a truck that meets your criteria that they have been thinking about selling that they might offer up.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Gator Alum

mr48chev - Thanks for the info. I have no problem rebuilding the motor. That is actually one of my favorite things to do. I'm just concerned on purchasing one that doesn't even run because I don't know how much I'd have to do in order to fix it. It could end up being Pandora's box. Also, to be more specific, I am looking for a Task Force truck 55-57 bc as far as I can tell, the 58-59 is the Apache style with the 4 headlights. I do not want an Apache style.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
jfnar

Another good site to check out is www.stovebolt.com. They have classifieds too.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
meter swinger

Welcome to the board from a floridian expaitriate.
I would add hotrodhotline to your list of websites. Guys on this board are really good at finding trucks for sale, and even checking something out for you. If you have a price range you might post that too. There are a few for sale here in the NW but that would be expensive to get one to FLA.
I have a craigslist app on my phone that will search multiple regions continuosly ( i need counseling) that has come in real handy.
BTW, whats wrong with a little four-eye love?
Good luck with the hunt.
Posted via Mobile Device
my bad i see you put 5k up. Guess i need remedial reading

Last edited by meter swinger; 01-11-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: range
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
OrrieG

With a $5K budget you should be able to find a good driver or older restoration. Texas to CA trucks seem to be the most potential for rust free (=little major body work), with NV, UT and even southern ID and eastern OR if you stay in the high desert regions. You can get estimates for shipping by calling companies in some major cities in the regions. It used to be around $1 per mile one way but with the current economy it might be more competitive.

If you find a likely candidate, I would recommend finding a member here to go take a look at it. I have done that for a few people on a Chevelles site to confirm condition and matching numbers in one case. Look at the build threads here and you will soon see the common rust issues, etc. and the limitations of stock 6 cyl / 3 speed vs. updating the drive train.

Good luck and welcome. I too think you need to look at a 4 lighter too, I like the fleetside and way the front fenders look from the side, more character in my opinion.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Gator Alum

Which craigslist app do you use on your phone? I have an iphone and would love something that alerts me of a new posting instead of me actively going out to search. Also, any string search suggestions?
No disrespect to 4 eyes. In fact, I probably should have one considering I am in the optical business and make eyeglasses. LOL. I'll look at a bunch online and see what I think. Who knows, maybe I fall in love again.
That budget can of course swing a little one way or the other. I just DO NOT want to be in the 10k region.

Last edited by Gator Alum; 01-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Alum View Post
Which craigslist app do you use on your phone? I have an iphone and would love something that alerts me of a new posting instead of me actively going out to search. Also, any string search suggestions?
No disrespect to 4 eyes. In fact, I probably should have one considering I am in the optical business and make eyeglasses. LOL. I'll look at a bunch online and see what I think. Who knows, maybe I fall in love again.
That budget can of course swing a little one way or the other. I just DO NOT want to be in the 10k region.
The app i have is craigsnotification. Its a droid app but the I store probably has something just as good or better.
You should be able to find a good truck for 5G. Hit all the upcoming car shows you can. There usually are some for sale. Plus youll meet some folks, see some ideas, some youll like some you won't, but its nice to see a variety of styles.

If youre not real familiar with these trucks, take someone with you when you go to look at one. Some People will tell you all kinds of BS to sell you something. Another set of eyes can also help give you a "reality check" if needed. Not to mention there are all kinds of kooks posting stuff for sale, espesically on CL. Ive had mostly good situations, but i have had some bad too.

Since the economy seems to still be in the toilet in FLA. You might find some good deals.
Good luck.
Oh yeah i almost forgot, SCALP EM NOLES!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by meter swinger; 01-11-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
oldcouple

looks like a lot of choices http://www.statewidelist.com/Results...&button=Search
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
... I am not a big fan of the Apache or Fleetside styles. ...
WTF? oh the shame... everyone on this site knows the cool guys drive apaches...

but what do i know, i'm just an ogre

i live in the rust belt all i can find you is rusty 55s, rusty 56s and rusty 57s.
all the good trucks seem to come out of texas and arizona.
ebay is a good source, as is craigslist.org.
either way i would not buy a truck off of either one without having it inspected.

if i was in the optical business, i'd get a 4 eyed truck and a personalized 4 EYES tag on it.
but then i'm partial to 58-59 (have owned 5)

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Rude Dude

Craigslist is your friend just be patient and look under project's in the query section. A lot of people start a build and get over welmed and end up selling their toy.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Gator Alum

@OrrieG - thanks for the shipping estimate and the idea of having a member go check it out. It's nice to know people around here will do that for you. What limitations are you talking about regarding the drive train? Just top end speed?

@ meter swinger - GO GATORS! I went to school there during the glory years of Tim Tebow, so I felt blessed. As soon as I left, the school athletics went to crap. I'll see if I can find a craigslist app for iphone.

@ oldcouple - That is the same website I usually use for searching. I never decided to search '1957 Chevy'. I only found a FEW more trucks on there, most of the results are cars. I figured sellers would manage to put 3100 or PU or truck in the title... but thanks for the idea.

@Ogre - LOL about the Apache thing. Where exactly do people consider the 'rust belt' anyways? I really enjoyed the 4 eyes comment. I actually thought the same thing after you referred to them as 4 eyes. I'm sure the personalized plate is already taken though. Maybe I'll come up with something clever. Maybe just 'I I I I' or '4 Is'
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
meter swinger

When you find a good prospect post up some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
JumboAMONGus

yeah i have to agree out of three other sites iam a member for fj40s and oldsmobile ,and a camaro one this is the best site for info and return replies ,,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
oldcouple

Just keep changing the year, This one looks good. http://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/2774786004.html
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
yeah i have to agree out of three other sites iam a member for fj40s and oldsmobile ,and a camaro one this is the best site for info and return replies ,,
X2 and all the more reason to buy more trucks...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
OrrieG

Quote:
@OrrieG - thanks for the shipping estimate and the idea of having a member go check it out. It's nice to know people around here will do that for you. What limitations are you talking about regarding the drive train? Just top end speed?
Here are a couple of threads about stock drive trains. Rear end ration and tire size make a big difference.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501085
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=378598
Looks like there may be lots of potential trucks out there for you to consider.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
1959 Apache 3600

You're right, there's lots of helpful folks here, and they seem to have quite a bit of patience with us old newbies.
With all the sources listed to help you find your next project, you should find a suitable truck.

Remember... four-eyes... THAT'S where it's at!
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
SHORTDOG99

Here's a nice looking deal.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2773995551.html
SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
duwem

I bought my 50 off craigslist.

I was 7 hours away from home at a wedding and had some free time so I hopped on the net and searched, saw the 50, went and looked at it and bought it.

Drove back the following weekend (14 hours round trip) and trailered it home.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Gator Alum

For those 4 eyes guys out there... what is the difference in the trucks? Pretty much just the body panels? Are there any differences in cab, dash, etc?

Also, what are the 4 eyes? Is one set low beams and one set high beams and then fog lights on the bottom?

I found this pic online and like it a bunch. Most of the apaches I saw previous to this painted that headlight bezel, and I just don't like that as much.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
ratrodmiller

Found mine mostly on craigslist.
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
SHORTDOG99

One set low beam, one set high beam, and the lower lights are park lights/turn signals.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
_Ogre

Quote:
For those 4 eyes guys out there... what is the difference in the trucks? Pretty much just the body panels? Are there any differences in cab, dash, etc?

Also, what are the 4 eyes? Is one set low beams and one set high beams and then fog lights on the bottom?

I found this pic online and like it a bunch. Most of the apaches I saw previous to this painted that headlight bezel, and I just don't like that as much.
55-59 cabs, frames and beds are all the same. 55-57 changed the fenders and hood only; 58 changed the radiator core support, all the front sheet metal and added the fleetside bed; 59 only changed the trim and eliminated the cameo bed.

4 eyes are one low, 2 high

the deluxe cabs had big back window, chrome trim around the windows, grill and light bezels. they are the preferred cab. my 58 was a deluxe cab but the trim was long gone by the time i bought it.

rust belt is new york to the mississippi river, they use a lot of salt on the highways since the 50s. everything here is toast. i had a 97 doge 1500, bought it new, it had to go to the junk yard when i traded it for an 09 gmc. rockers, 4'' door bottoms, fenders, bumpers all gone from rust

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
SHORTDOG99

R.I.P. = rust in pieces!