The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
LBHTG

stock height or lowered

here's my question. since i'm new to the whole rebuild scene. what's eveyone's thought on stock stance or lowered? i have just purchased a 65 shortbed stepside, and not sure what to do. truck is in great shape (picture's are on the way). i know that i am going to add power steering and power brakes along with disc all the way around, also thinking of swapping 4-speed with granny low to a muncie 4-speed. truck has 4:56 gears now with a 283. any input would be helpful. i have been looking thru the pictures on the site and have noticed alot are lowered.
LBHTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: stock height or lowered

Welcome.....I think its going to depend on what you want to use the truck for. I like the trucks either way personally, but think that the stock running gear would probably suit you better if planning on hauling or towing alot. Couple of pics always helps.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
pdxhall

Welcome to the forum. I think it's all about personal preference. Do what you think looks best. You're the one that's going to have to look at it every day.
pdxhall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
LBHTG

i am only using it for pleasure. it's a project my 13 year old son and i are going to do together. hopefully i will get the truck home this weekend and get pictures on line. this is my frist chevy always been a dodge guy, have a 1985 d150 4wd stock with 70k orginal mileage and a 06 2500 megacab with a cummins (my work truck) piped and air box. i love the style of the 60's chevy. plus the frist truck i remember my dad having was a 68 4wd fleetside with a 327 3speed on the column (it was a sweet truck)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
pdxhall

That's great your son is going to help you. Get him involved in the decision as to ride height. Start showing him all the great trucks here on the forum.
pdxhall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
perro13

personal prefrence
perro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
jonathan-m

Yeah its really all up to what catches your eye the best. If done correctly lowering wont degrade the feel or handling of the truck (actually, there's a lot of room for improvement through modifications), so its really just an aesthetic choice. Just play around with it until you find what suits you best.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Narxoleptic Customs

Lower it. 3" front 5" back. Bc it'll teach him ab tools and how real parts come apart and go back together. Switch to 3.08 gears and drive it like crazy. Do just like my dad did and teach him how to prep and paint out of rattle cans... It was really cool when my dad wd get out in the garage w me and we wd paint the wheels or bumpers or interior pieces. It was cool!

Keep us updated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

This is supposed to be a 2 1/2 front and 4" rear drop... They look good lowered like this or at stock height. It just all depends on if you want to spend the money to do it right and it sounds like you do.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

As can be seen looking at all the different build styles on this site, there are as many preferences on what looks best as there are members. I’d suggest not changing the height until you’ve put enough hours into enjoying the truck and studying others to find what you and your son find most appealing. Another factor being stock height is free, pretty much everything else costs money. So consider any height adjustments as part of the overall budget.

Here’s what mine looks like at close to stock height:

Swapping to a passenger car 4 speed will certainly increase the fun factor, but the 4:56 rear end gears are really going to limit top speed, and probably aren’t a very practical choice unless you have a high winding drag race engine. I’m running a 350 with Richmond 4 speed and 4.10 gears. It spins around 3,000 rpms at 60 mph, so it’s not very efficient as a daily driver. Since it is primarily used as a hobby fun car the setup is just fine. Choice of gears should relate to how the truck will be used, type of transmission in front of it, and rear tire diameter.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
blackmopar

markeb01 speaks the truth! but I praise the lowered
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Imperial Kustom
100% gearhead

My opinion doesn't matter. I've never owned a stock height vehicle!

I never stopped playing with cars, they just got bigger.
Imperial Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
jocko

If you're not sure....
Stock height = $0
Lowered = >$0
And if you go stock height, you can always lower it later!
Of course it's all about personal pref. Personally, I'm a stock height kinda guy, but maybe I'm just cheap because I like some of the lowered ones too - makes for a totally different vibe on any given truck. Again, comes down to your and your son's pref.

Might be a good plan to make your other mods now and THEN lower it later. Only gotcha would be that IF you want to put on disk brakes AND lower it, you'd be wise to buy a disk brake kit with dropped spindles up front, and do it once.

Decisions, decisions....

I'm with Markeb01 on the trans stuff - with a 4.56, this thing will be a mess on the highway. So, rather than focusing on getting rid of granny (that sounds awful, doesn't it??) I'd focus on getting an overdrive trans in there to get the highway cruising under control - and granny goes on vacation in the process.

Options (some cost more than others, $ signs are "relative"):

A - Swap granny out for a T5 - $$
B - Swap the rear gear only and keep granny - $ (1st gear will still suck and be useless and then you're left with only 3 to row).
C - Swap granny for a Muncie - $$ (but your highway driving will still suck with the 4.56)
D - Swap granny for 3-speed AND get a 3.73 or 3.55 or 3.2X rear - $$ (relative low buck approach to "driveability")
E - T5 with a 3.55-3.73 rear $$$ - (costs a bit more but the 4.56 is just plain gonna suck to drive unless you live at the dragstrip)
F - Swap granny for a Muncie and 3.73 - $$$ - and your highway driving will still be so-so, but not great - this is the "muscle car of the 60's" combo - fun but highway still sucks kinda.

Option E would be my first choice. Best of both worlds but most expensive.
If all about saving money - then maybe option D is decent. 3-speeds are a dime a dozen.

I'm sure that doesn't help. but whatever you do, don't run a T5 with a 4.56 rear, it will disintegrate (when your son drives).
A T5 is not bulletproof - it can handle 250-300 hp (or 1000 hp if it's not driven like it has 1000 hp... - all that really matters in T5 survival is HOW you drive, not the hp). Anyhoo, good luck! Father-son project = VERY COOL.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
rbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Kustom View Post
My opinion doesn't matter. I've never owned a stock height vehicle!
Your truck thinks "height" is a bad word, don't say it in front of it.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
LBHTG

thanks everyone. frist chevy one that picture is my truck with different rims and a little cleaner. second i agree with the point on gears but this is a FUN truck and have set money aside in the budget for more than one set of rear tires. my son is not totally sold on the slammed look neither am i really. markebo1 i like the stance of yours or just a little lower. i am very excited to get started with my son on this project. plan is to get on the road for this summer as it's been stored for the past 15 years so needs all new fluids, wheel cylinders some fine tunning. as far as the body goes could use front cab supports and cab corners. it also needs side mirrors. a fuel line from fuel pump to carb and a battery is all it needs to start and roar back to life. exhaust is new duals all the way back including headers. interior needs a floor mat, pad and a cleaning. thinking of a newer sytyle seat? i will keep the post and pictures coming as we go. again thanks for the comments
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

first off, welcome aboard! i've always leaned more towards the custom look, and i have owned lowered trucks (currently S-10)...initially i had plans to lower my '66, but i eventually decided i'd rather leave it mostly stock (including height)....granted there are still lots of stock height ones around, today I see more and more choosing the lowered/custom route...but my plan/goal is to hopefully build one of each...my current '66 will look mostly stock, and the next would be more customized...but it's definitely personal preference...just look at lots of pictures here on the board to see what appeals the most

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
SNTOS63

In my opinion, if you go stock height, you'd have to go all original stock style for it to look right, which actually would be a really nice idea. We see more and more slammed and chopped up trucks nowadays that when we actually see a completely stock rebuild, people seem to appreciate them a little more now. I know I do! Mine is lowered and stuff like a lot of other 60-66 GM trucks these days, but man when I saw a freshly restored back to factory specs 1964 Chevy flatbed at a recent swapmeet, I drooled over that thing more than the bagged trucks! Not saying that custom trucks can't look cool at stock height though. Just think that at least the body and interior has got to look original style. Maybe some custom wheels. Like Markeb01's stepside looks cool in close to stock height with those Torques. Just one of many opinions on this sight right! Up to you! Just do it with pride!
Posted via Mobile Device
SNTOS63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
TheManInBlack

The whole stock height is free thing is kinda bull. On most trucks this old you need at least shocks, often ball joints tie rod ends control arm bushing and all new brakes, plus mine had both front springs broken. So chances are you will replace the parts anyway, why not change the ride height if thats what you want?
TheManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
SNTOS63

Yeah NOTHING is free except our own free labor that we put into our trucks. If you want it to look, feel and ride right that is.
Posted via Mobile Device
SNTOS63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
scottofksu

Most of our trucks have been spending the last 40 to 50 years lowering themselves... ) Therefore, if you want to "refresh" the suspension, you may end up raising the truck if you install "stock height" springs. You might first one to find a point of reference for measurement on these trucks and see just how stock yours is currently sitting.
scottofksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
northern 85

Welcome aboard! I think a 2wd with a mild drop, between 2 and 4 inches, little rake, classic rims and fat tires = The truck gm should have built. They just look soo right to me, but this is just my 2 cents.You will know what is right for you and your son when you see it.
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
northern 85

Do you have it home yet? We need pics
Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
LBHTG

not yet the weathers not helping. Alot of freezing rain so i can not get it out of my buddy's drive. He has a very steep hill and i really do not want to haul it out and end up in the trees, with my truck and the 65. I have one picture trying to figure out how to post it?

Last edited by LBHTG; 01-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
LBHTG

not yet weather is not helping. Have not figured out hou to post pictures yet
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
northern 85

How are you doing with your truck?