The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
scoyote

Wire feed welder

What's a decent wire feed welder for a guy to use in his shop/garage?

To weld small steel up to 1/8" or 3/16" or so.

I see one at Harbor Freight (I know it's not a top of the line unit) 220v "dual feed" Mig for $350.....but I was afraid to buy it.

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Wire feed welder

I would save money for a small Miller, Lincoln or Hobart that can use argon/CO2. Used would be OK, too. If you dont know how to weld, an evening class in welding at the local community college would be your first and best investment.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Dunenutt
Newbee

A cheap welder will only frustrate the heck out of you!

Besides the big three mentiond above, Century is good also. If you have the funds, buy a Miller, and never look back. The auto set on the Miller is awesome for a beginner.

What ever you get, chose one with infinate adjustment. If the knobs click into position, walk away. 9 times out of 10, you will want to weld between those clicks.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

A 110 is all you need to weld what you mentioned.

I've used a 110 Lincoln for 15 years with a mix of C02/Argon and it's welded everything I can imagine on a car including frame work. Been restoring cars with it every since because it's small and easy to manuver and use.
You can find them in the $3-$500 range setup and ready to go. Local welding shop here in town sells both Lincoln and Miller with your C02/Argon tank filled and ready to use, wire, and everything you need to plug in and go for under $500.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
What ever you get, chose one with infinate adjustment. If the knobs click into position, walk away. 9 times out of 10, you will want to weld between those clicks.
Good advice. Most of the new welders I've seen lately have the infinate adjustment knobs now, even the little 110's.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

I suffered with a flux core 110 for a few years. Very frustrating. I then went to a craftsman 110 solid core with a gas bottle. better, but didn't meet my needs after a while. Just upgraded to a Hobart 190 220 volt. I could have saved $700-$800 by buying the Hobart first along with the frustration.

Buy the best welder you can afford. You will be much happier in the long run. (Short run too)
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I have a 110 Centry, bought use years ago and have used the crap out of it. I've been happy with it all along.
I used a Lincoln 110 once and weld'd some 1/4 angle, it work'd awsome.
like mention'd, make sure you can use gas even if you dont need it right now.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
68 SWB

I have a Thermal Arc, it's a nice machine. If I had to do it again, I would hunt for a deal on a Miller and I have never really liked the smaller Lincoln's I've used.
68 SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
cableguy0

For about 300 bucks you can get a gas ready 140 amp welder. I have been using this welder at work http://www.realgearusa.com/ . I just bought one for the garage as well. It works great. we have a bunch of Lincoln 135 and 140's at work and the real gear is a better machine. It works exactly like it should and is a copy of the lincoln. It takes Lincoln/tweco consumables. Do not buy the garbage from harbor freight. Do use gas. Dont screw around with flux core wire,it makes a mess and just doesnt produce the same quality of welds. Flux core is terrible for sheet metal as well. The welder surviving a week at work is probably equivelant to a year in your home garage.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
scoyote

Lots of good information.....glad I asked the question.

Stay away from the flux......use gas....these are the two most repeated points to consider.

I'm going to check into that 110v Lincoln and check out the link from cableguy0.

Don't need a welder very often but when I need one....I need one ;-)

I'm a certified stick guy, never used wire.....but I know stick is to big for the majority of the "garage welding" that I need done, so I'm going to try wire.

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyote View Post
Lots of good information.....glad I asked the question.

Stay away from the flux......use gas....these are the two most repeated points to consider.

I'm going to check into that 110v Lincoln and check out the link from cableguy0.

Don't need a welder very often but when I need one....I need one ;-)

I'm a certified stick guy, never used wire.....but I know stick is to big for the majority of the "garage welding" that I need done, so I'm going to try wire.
Don't get hung up on flux or non flux machines. Flux is better at some types of welding so don't stay away from it just learn what filler wire and shielding gas does what and the limitations of each and you will be a better welder and have projects look and hold up better.

I would stay with a brand name welder 110 or 220 is up to you. I would make sure it will run flux and gas. When you learn how to weld you can make a decision on a better model. 140 amp should be fine for now. Also get one that you can buy consumables locally and not have to send off to china for. HTP, Lincoln, Esab, Miller, Hobart are a few of the better know and better supported machines and usually parts are available locally
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
68 SWB

The other advantage to a gas is you can change the liner in the feed, the roller, and use the right gas and you can weld aluminum in most decent machines.
68 SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Mxracer202

Yea id most definitely stay away from the HF models, I took a local high school welding class when i was a junior, went in not knowing anything about welding, came out MIG certified and learned a ton. Id suggest you try and take a class.

As for a welder id stick with the three big names, lincoln miller and hobart. checkout http://www.northerntool.com theyve got some good deals. Hopefully this income tax season im gonna get a lincoln power mig 180 DUAL its a 110v/220v welder so when im ready to step up to 220 its there, good luck. And personally id go with the biggest welder you can afford, cause the extra amps comes in handy

TROUBLE MAKER RACING

"If you can't stand BEHIND our troops, please stand in FRONT of them."
Mxracer202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
LakeAnna

I have a Htp that has been great... check them out.

http://http://www.htpweld.com/produc...ders/index.htm

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
maskale

love my miller 211

it may be more then u need, but as u start welding, ur projects will then also get bigger and u will some day weld bigger stuff.

Its a great barting tool also. I weld stuff for friends and fam. Then when I need help I know who to call.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
love my miller 211

it may be more then u need, but as u start welding, ur projects will then also get bigger and u will some day weld bigger stuff.

Its a great barting tool also. I weld stuff for friends and fam. Then when I need help I know who to call.
Ditto, I have a Miller 140 (110v MIG) that I have used and used and used. Needed a TIG for chromemoly stuff and bought a used Sincrowave,, WOW what a nice machine. If I remember correctly Miller bought Hobart,, may not put the same HD components in each machine, but you have the reputation and company stability to be around and supply parts for a long time to come.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
jel111

Millers are great. I would get a machine a little bigger than you think you need. Always nice to have the ability to do more. I learned that with a cheap plasma cutter. Definitely stay away from harbor freight it is junk.
jel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Weasel Diesel

I love my Hobart 140 Handler. VERY easy to work with. Tractor supply often runs sales on them.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
orange 71 chevy

stay away from chicago welders i bought a 90amp it works fine but only for thicker stuff i just recieved my brand new eastwood 135 amp they also have a 175 amp they seem to get good reviews most inexpensive if your on a budget wich i am so goodluck with your search.
orange 71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
scoyote

I found a Hobart Handler 120 local here so that is what I ended up with.
From what I've read it should handle all the "garage welding" that I'll be doing.
I'm a certified stick welder so if I need anything heavier than that....I can stick it ;-)
Thanks for all the input....otherwise I might have ended up with a piece of junk!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
donut

Being certified stick does help. Getting your hand in MIG will help also. I've been seeing a trend that a lot of field work that was traditional stick is transitioning to MIG/ wire feed. My old boss started loading out Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders that would be powered by the stick machines. Whatever the customer preferred...

Good thread though, I've also been looking at 110v MIGs for future use.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Weasel Diesel

Scoyote... whichever welder you decide on... try to avoid a Gasless. I produces massive amounts of spatter and looks like a chicken walked up and down the seam dropping his load. Sheilded is the way to go.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #23
Turkey

I have the Millermatic 140. Great machine for a garage/shop messaround tool. I got a super deal at the NSRA show in Tampa a couple of years ago. If you get the chance, go to a show where either Miller or Lincoln have a spot. Both will give a killer show discount and they will deliver to your door. Best anniversary gift I have received so far. (My ole lady paid for half).
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
crushermechanic

i have the northern tool 135. it works great and is a lincoln copy. it welds anything on my truck i have tried. if you have a welder that is capable of gas try running flux core wire with shield gas. you will be supprised with the results. it makes a lot cleaner weld and the flux comes off easy.
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
MONTE

Millermatic 211 auto set MVP
Or Hobart ironman 230

What would you recommend?

I have 2 three phase stick welders at the shop for big jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
MONTE is offline   Reply With Quote