The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
82chevdiesel

Turn signals acting up

Ive been chasing grounds and troubleshooting all weekend and Im starting to go nuts, nothing I try works. Its an 82 c30 dually and my left turnsignals dont work. The headlight grounds are in good shape, and there is continuity to all of the taillights to the tail light ground on the left side (no ground on right but I hear its all routed to the ground on the left.) I changed the headlight and turnsignal switch to no avail. Its acting like theres a short or bad ground somewhere but I just cant find the problem. Instrument panel ground is good too and I dont have blown fuses or lights.
82chevdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
bowtiemanchevyman

Re: Turn signals acting up

did u check both grounds on the radiator support they are right by the radiator. i had the same problem and it was one of them was lose just a little bit.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
john_p

did someone cut in a trailer light plug,, best place to find a problem
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
82chevdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiemanchevyman View Post
did u check both grounds on the radiator support they are right by the radiator. i had the same problem and it was one of them was lose just a little bit.
Yes that the first place I checked, cleaned up the connections and still no luck.

And yes there are trailer lights wired in, I was suspecting this as a problem area. I dont usually tow I would get rid of it all together if I could but I dont want to cause more problems. What can I check with the trailer lights?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
68 SWB

Do you get any power out of the switch if you test it there? I had an issue with the left t/s on my truck and found it in some hacked up wiring from a previous owner under the dash at the steering column connector that sits on top of the column.
68 SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
82chevdiesel

I tried a new switch with a new connector that includes the wires that go up through the column and I still had the same issue.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82chevdiesel View Post
I tried a new switch with a new connector that includes the wires that go up through the column and I still had the same issue.
I'm no expert, I'm just trying to help. When I had to find my issue I just used a test light and started working my way back from the socket. If both light (front and rear) are having the problem I would check the circuit before the wires split clear back to the switch. Good luck.
68 SWB is offline   Reply With Quote