The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Dmcinfo

Rubber floor mats from LMC

Would like to hear from anyone who has ordered rubber floor mats from LMC. See link:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=106

How did you like them, do they fit well and what did you use in the cargo area for sound deadener.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
IwantaK5

Re: Rubber floor mats from LMC

I did not order the poly vinyl floor mats, but if they fit as well as the oe mats fit a few hours with a heat gun and your brother tugging on one side while you stand on the other side you can make it presentable.
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
fencedude

I ordered and installed that same one from LMC. I thought it was very difficult to get installed, there is a significant amount of trimming, and the fit around the hump is crappy, though maybe it would fit if you didn't install the heat shield material they send with it. Overall, I was very disappointed with the product and would not recommend it. I wish I could find an original, these are not close.
fencedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
IwantaK5

While we are on the subject, i was also not very pleased with the 69' style door panels they have either.Just a piece of molded plastic. They look like a cheap Halloween costume.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
cal30_sniper

Back to the floor mats, I know this thread has a little age on it, but I just got mine from LMC and I am not impressed. I ordered them for an '86 Suburban (only the cargo hold section). The catalog shows a nice molded floor (claims that they are vacuum molded to an original floorpan), and it shows that the wheelwell covers are molded to fit tightly over them. I got an overized (cut to shape, but not size) piece of completely flat section to cover the floor, and two more completely flat sections to cover each fenderwell. Now how exactly am I supposed to make a flat piece of rubber fit a curved wheel-well correctly? If that was possible, we wouldn't have a bajillion different map designs out there to attempt to transfer the geography of the globe onto a flat sheet of paper.

I'm very disappointed in this product. Definitely not what is advertised, and doesn't appear to be the greatest quality either. I think I'm going to send them back and order some carpet from 1A auto. They better not charge me for the return shipping either...

-cal30sniper
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
psuedopimp

i got mine from automotive interiors...i was surprised at the flat wheel well pieces too...they do fit with a lot of triming and massaging...and do not do it in the winter time...i did mine in march of this year and it was difficult...wait for a nice hot day and then do it

overall i am happy with the fit.....after days of trimming and sitting waiting for the sun to warm it up and let it flatten out.
psuedopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
99-LS1-SS

Would a heat gun or hair dryer speed it up?

1984 K10 beater truck
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
psuedopimp

i actually used a single halogen light....would point it to a section and let it heat up a bit and then work on it.....hair dryer and heat gun only heated small parts...nothing works like a 90 degree day though! then that stuff is easy to work....other wise like wrestling fat chicks!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
cal30_sniper

It was 85 this weekend, and I wasn't having any luck getting it to fit. Did you actually have to make slits in the mats to make them lay down over the wheel wells, or did you manage to get them on in one solid piece? Any chance you could post a picture or two of the finished product?

I called LMC today and they weren't any help at all. They didn't have any in stock to compare it to, they were backordered for 3 weeks. I asked them if they could call the manufacturer and see if it was a defect, and they said they didn't even know where they came from. All they offered was a refund, or said I could wait 3 weeks to see if the next one they got in was not flat.

I did some digging and found out they were made by ACC. I got the part number for it, and called up ACC. They said that the vinyl mats do not take to the mold like carpet, and they end up a lot flatter than they should be. They suggested I take a heat gun to it. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to send it back and just get carpet, or try and make it fit.

For anyone who's interested, you can also order these directly from ACC, and they have them in different colors than just black. The picture in the LMC catalog is a huge piece of false advertising though. The fenderwell pieces look nothing like what they show in the picture.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
psuedopimp

yeah the fenders were a pain...but i ended up getting them to fit by starting at the top of the fender and pressing around
....it only started to fit correctly after i cut a lot off the bottom. i think i left a couple of inches so it would....crap now i am second guessing my self...did i start at the bottom and trim the top??? man this was in march i will try to look at it tonight and see if i can jog a memory or two!
but i do remember having to trim it before it went to shape and mine were flat too but now they are shaped fine....
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
psuedopimp

Posted via Mobile Device
Hopefully the photo is attached. First time trying to post from my phone. Now that I looked at it, I definitely trimmed the top. There are molded contours that fit the wheel well. I put it there the best I could and trimmed to fit. In the picture, is how it sits. I need some adhesive to make it sit perfectly and I was thinking of caulking the edges with something like black rtv silicone to clean up the edges
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
JHTreyIII

I did the rear cargo area with a rubber bed mat for a pickup bed. It's not an exact fit but it's dang close. Probably a lot more durable too.

JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
cal30_sniper

JHTrey,

That might be the best idea. That looks a LOT better than the piece of "Vinyl" that LMC shipped me, and it's a lot easier to take out and clean too. I don't really have the option of leaving exposed wheelwells though, I just went through the whole process of sound deadening my interior, and I need something to cover up the insulation.

I think I'm going to just ship this stuff back and order carpet. Psuedo's installation looks about what I figured this would come out like. It's fine for a work truck, but not clean enough for my taste (I have people riding back there all the time, etc). The carpet will fit right, and I can order a rubber mat for the top if it gets to become an issue.

Bottom line, I would not advise ordering the vinyl floors if you want them to fit around the wheel wells. It's definitely not worth the $200 that LMC wants when carpet that actually fits only costs $170 through 1Aauto.

-cal30sniper
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
JHTreyIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30_sniper View Post
That might be the best idea. That looks a LOT better than the piece of "Vinyl" that LMC shipped me, and it's a lot easier to take out and clean too. I don't really have the option of leaving exposed wheelwells though, I just went through the whole process of sound deadening my interior, and I need something to cover up the insulation.
I hear ya. My mat doesn't do much for sound deadening. It was cheap though, got it from summit for $80 I think. It fits the 73-up pickup. Just required some trimming. It's like 3/8" thick too, pretty heavy duty. It keeps stuff from sliding around back there as well.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
IwantaK5

I think the LMC mats have been better. I restored a 72' k5 in the late 90's and i don't remember having this much trouble.