The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Youngbuck7072

Starting Trouble..

Hey guys, so the other day I got in my truck, and started it up just fine. I then proceded to go up a hill and it died (it dies alot because its not in tune). I started it up again, went about twenty feet and it died again(again, this is usuall until i get above 10mph). I went to start it again, and when i turned the key I got nothing. There was a little click, but thats all. I have no idea what is wrong. I know that my battery is not dead, and when i turn the key to the "on" position, my electric fuel pump will buzz on, and the lights will turn on. Sometimes, when i turn the key, i get nothing, other times the fuel pump and lights work. Any ideas what is wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device
................(O)..........(O)
Youngbuck7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
KEITH 71 STEP SIDE

Re: Starting Trouble..

Maybe the switch . Im going threw the same thing right now it runs for 10 to 15 min then just kills like you would have turned it off. now it don"t do anything when i turn the key .Im going to test it this weekend with a test light. good luck with finding your problem.
KEITH 71 STEP SIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Could be a couple different things. Regarding the starter not turning over- that is an electrical issue- either with the switch, neutral safety switch, bulkhead connector or connections @ the starter itself. Get yourself a tester and start testing each connection.
The poor running is probably a combination of worn out ignition components, bad timing, clogged fuel filter, mis-adjusted float and/or vacuum leaks.
Start with one system (air, fuel or spark) and make sure all related components are in good running order.
As reliable as these trucks are- they do need a bit of time and $$ to keep going.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Youngbuck7072

Okay, so i went out today, and turns out it was in gear, so i put it in "park" and tried to start it, only to get a continuous clicking when i tirn the key over. Any ideas now haha?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I would check the connections at the battery, and fusible link first. Then I'd get under the truck and make sure the power and solenoid wire connections are clean and tight on the starter itself. Also check all the grounds (ie- body to frame, body to engine, engine to frame, etc.)
If all that looks good- get up under the dash and put a jumper between the two purple wires on the neutral safety switch and see if that might be the issue. If there is still no improvement- pull the ignition switch plug and run a jumper from the 12v feed connector to the ignition "on" connector and another from 12v feed that you'll just manually contact with the "start" connector and see if that works.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Youngbuck7072

Thanks man. When I get home tomorrow I will work my way down the list and I 'll see where I get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

A clicking sound from the starter is usually the starter solenoid. I've repaired them in the past but it's just as cheap to get a replacement these days. Some new ones are not repairable.

Make sure that the battery cables are in good shape. I had one with corroded terminal that made the starter act like it was going out on me.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote