The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
SamMargritz00

Question Center consoles?

hey guys. i'm looking for a center console for my 72, but i was just wondering if people have pictures/info on center consoles in their rides other then the factory ones. I was kinda looking at one from a late 90's chevy pickup. but i didn't know if it would fit and/or look good. any thoughts on this?
SamMargritz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
AlaskaMatt

Re: Center consoles?

If you are not going factory the tuffy ones are hard to beat. Mine is the most functional console of any truck I've ever had.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/c-4-consoles.aspx

Here is a not great shot of mine. I took it to show the ham radio mount not the console but basically it's a locking steel box with a pad on top.

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
70cst

Nice looking.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
SamMargritz00

which model is yours? and how do you like it? i think my uncle has on in his jeep and he says he loves it. and being able to lock it with the top off is also a plus.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMargritz00 View Post
which model is yours? and how do you like it? i think my uncle has on in his jeep and he says he loves it. and being able to lock it with the top off is also a plus.
I do love it. I believe mine is the older version of this one. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-103-0...e-10-wide.aspx
It appears they have really improved the locking and latch mechanism. Mine is an older simple design similar to a cash lock box. Actually makes me wonder if they sell an upgrade kit???

As to security, I don't lock the blazer doors often as breaking into one of these is childsplay anyway, the locking console is very handy to have in this regard.

I also have the optional cup holders on the back too, that puts four cup holders within reach of the drivers seat. As an avid coffee guy that's pretty handy.

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
SamMargritz00

i really like this design. do you mind taking more pictures of it?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Firebirdjones

Tuffy's are nice, had them in a couple of jeeps. It's the route I'll go on the blazer when I decide it's time to remove the original seats and console for safe keeping and go with aftermarket seats.
I don't think the tuffy would look right with original seats on either side.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
SamMargritz00

i don't have the orignal seats, thats why im trying to find some center consoles that arent factory.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Nice, that's exactly how I'm doing it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
fun in dirt

I used this one out of a '89 suburban. Cupholders & locks (but easy to pry open, just keeps an honest man out). Also made a stand for a place to mount it & my amp; this also picked it up to a height I liked better. Is a perfect width between the seats; the later model consoles appear to be a good bit narrower.
Attached Images

'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
SamMargritz00

thats what i kinda wondered if the newer ones were quite a bit narrower. oh well. i like that 10'' wide tuffy but my seats are tan and from what it looks they only have it in black. might take a look at other sites and see if they have the other colors. i have 13" of room between the seets.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
SamMargritz00

anyone else have any more ideas?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

If you have 13" of room then a 12 1/2" should work?

Here is a link to tan colored Tuffy's that are 12 1/2" They have it for a stereo or without.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-89-01...2-12-wide.aspx

If you need to know, the factory console in mine measures about 11" wide at the top. I also have tan aftermarket seats sitting here that I'm thinkin of installing, so I'll stick with the tan console and just do what I need to do to make it fit properly between the seats. Shouldn't be that bad.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Tomahawk30

I know you are asking about non-originals, but I've been thinking about picking one of these up from LMC for mine. I'd rather have an original, but for the price I won't be afraid of this one getting beat up a bit...
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=110

Don't know if anyone here has bought one or not... Maybe they are junk? Just thought I'd throw it out there.

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Firebirdjones

You and I seem to be thinking on the same page. That's the whole reason my original stuff is coming out, after spending $$$ recovering seats with houndstooth, restoring the console etc....it's already starting to show wear and tear (I drive it everyday and it's the family hauler)
So it's all going to come out in favor of brand new SUV seats front and back and a Tuffy console, that way when I wear this stuff out I won't feel so bad knowing the original stuff is tucked away safely...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
SamMargritz00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
If you have 13" of room then a 12 1/2" should work?

Here is a link to tan colored Tuffy's that are 12 1/2" They have it for a stereo or without.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-89-01...2-12-wide.aspx

If you need to know, the factory console in mine measures about 11" wide at the top. I also have tan aftermarket seats sitting here that I'm thinkin of installing, so I'll stick with the tan console and just do what I need to do to make it fit properly between the seats. Shouldn't be that bad.
thats what i kinda thought, but then i was thinking...if the bigger one is 12 1/2 inches and i have 13 inches at the narrowest point between my seats, that leaves me 1/4 inch on each side, but with the 10 inch console id have 1 1/2 inch on each side if centered. so idk...im going to keep looking around.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Firebirdjones

Actually, I'd personally go for the tighter fit for a better (more finished) cleaner look. I'd tend to think the 12 1/2" would fill the void nicely with little room to spare.

The factory buckets and console in my blazer now actually (slightly) touch the seats on both sides, there really is no gap at all.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
SamMargritz00

only concern i have with the tightness is where the seat belt will be at. i havn't measured yet where itll be at cause my seats arent factory, i don't want it pinched between the seat and console if you get what im saying......but i can't find the 10 inch in the tan anywhere since my seats are tan, so if it measures out right im going to look into the 12 1/2. thanks Firebirdjones!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Just like the one already posted above by AlaskaMatt but here are a few more pics of the installed tuffy setup currently in my K/5, way more functional than the original and it makes for a nice armrest on them longer rides. Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMargritz00 View Post
only concern i have with the tightness is where the seat belt will be at. i havn't measured yet where itll be at cause my seats arent factory, i don't want it pinched between the seat and console if you get what im saying......but i can't find the 10 inch in the tan anywhere since my seats are tan, so if it measures out right im going to look into the 12 1/2. thanks Firebirdjones!
Yep I get what you are saying. With my factory seats and console fitting snug like they do, the seat belts can be a slight obstacle to pull out. Even with the buckle end securely fastened in the holder at the front of the console as intended, the rest of the belt still falls down between the seat and console. It's especially trouble on the passenger side with my son tipping the seat up and down to get in and out. The belt always falls between the console and seat.

The new seats I have here actually have a small pocket cut through the seat bolster next to your hip that is meant for the seat belt to pass through. I'm going to try using them, as it should keep the belt from falling down. I just don't know how well it will work when tipping the seats up and down.
What I am picturing in my mind though, is when the seat goes back down it's going to pull the buckle out of the console and go flying

Just not sure if there is any good solution without changing the entire seat belt arrangement, and I don't want to do that.