The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
ivorton74

question about shorty headers

Hey I was just wondering if these headers would fit my 74 truck. will there be any clearance issues with them?
Attached Images

ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Smoke_Dog

Re: question about shorty headers

I have some on my 84, it doesn't seem to be a clearance problem, but the bolts come loose all the time and they are hard to tighten unless U have a lift! Also, being that I have lived in Rapid before, U don't want to lay on the ground to often, to tighten them up!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorton74 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if these headers would fit my 74 truck. will there be any clearance issues with them?
Smoke_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
ivorton74

how much more power would i gain with headers? i heard at least 15-20 horsepower
Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
how much more power would i gain with headers? i heard at least 15-20 horsepower
There are no definites. That is a possible gain w/full length headers & good tuning. Full length headers also help boost low-end umph but shorties don't. Even though shorties wouldn't yield as much of a gain, they're still a great compromise when ground clearance is a concern.

Some 3/4 length headers for a Chevelle/Malibu are usually an easier fit as they typically dump just under the floorboards & angle more toward the rear of the vehicle.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
ivorton74

i would go with full length headers but i want to lower my truck and i heard they can touch the ground so that's why i want shorty headers. i want to try and get it right the first time. i'll look into the chevelle/malibu headers.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
i would go with full length headers but i want to lower my truck and i heard they can touch the ground so that's why i want shorty headers. i want to try and get it right the first time. i'll look into the chevelle/malibu headers.
The same car headers can also work in a full length configuration. The key word being can.

They might require some tweaks to allow them to easily fit. I just installed some on the big-block for my dually & they exit above the bottom of the frame rail by 1-2 inches (1-tons do have 2" taller rails but these would still prob be about flush on a 1/2 ton). I did have to trim the bottom rail lip slightly for more clearance (I like 3/8" minimum), clearance the driver side MM shell/housing that seats over the motor-mount, & use an aftermarket column shift linkage set-up.

Also, check out Early Classic Enterprises or CPP for C10 spec'd headers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
ivorton74

i plan on dropping my truck 3/5 for now. am i still able to use long tube headers? i could use some more low end grunt from my 350. i like those better than shorties. am just tryin to make up my mind.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
i plan on dropping my truck 3/5 for now. am i still able to use long tube headers? i could use some more low end grunt from my 350. i like those better than shorties. am just tryin to make up my mind.
Full length 'truck' headers do tend to hang well below the bottom of the frame rails & why I don't use them. Even w/'mild' drops, it's just too close & sooner or later they're going to hang on something solid.

Years ago, when I was building the BBC for my RetroRod, I didn't want to pay for custom built full length headers but needed the ground clearance. I used 3/4 length Chevelle headers because that's what fit w/the fewest tweaks. Since then, I've used 3/4 length sbc headers for early Chevelles, early Camaros, & even later g-body Malibus between the frame rails of 67-87's w/o much issue.

As I was going through the rebuilding process for the bbc in my dually, I knew I wanted headers vs manifolds. I didn't want to spend the bucks for truck headers knowing they would prob hang down too low & got to thinking if the 3/4 length Chevelle units fit, some full length ones might also fit. I searched C-list for some used headers for a trial fit & was happy to find that w/the minimal mods mentioned, they fit just fine.

I'm actually going to remove the Sanderson 3/4 length headers on my RetroRod & just do another set of full length car headers for it as well because the full length are the better choice.

Find someone that has an old set of car headers (camaro/chevelle) & try them. I got mine off C-list for $50 (1.75" primaries x 3" collector). No crushed tubes, slight surface rust, & dirty as heck but they cleaned up fine (worth more than the $50 I gave for them ). My plan was to just use them for trial fitting & re-sell them all cleaned up just to get my $$ back out of them. Since they were in pretty nice condition after cleaning, I decided to just use them.

I did have to make my own collector flanges as the used one's I got didn't have any. I shopped around online for some thicker 3/8 thick flanges (the thicker material helps the gaskets last longer because it doesn't warp like standard 3/16" thick collector flanges tend too) but the material/shipping costs were stupid for what you're buying. I hit my local steel yard & got a 5x12" piece of 3/8" 'drop' material for <$4 & made them myself. I'm also going to get these coated similar to what I did to the RamHorns on my 64's sbc.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
ivorton74

@scoti...thats pretty interesting...so i guess i'll take ur advice and try some chevelle/camaro headers.i've seen some headers on craigslist and ebay.i try and get my hands on one soon.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
ivorton74

saw these on ebay for $100.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
durty harry

Quote:
saw these on ebay for $100.
I just ordered a set of these
Long bed Vortec 5.7
durty harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
ivorton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by durty harry View Post
I just ordered a set of these
cool.when u put them in let me know. maybe post some pics of it too.