The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Michael Star

New guy with a question

I am looking to buy a 1970 GMC (ad below).

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/2818561724.html

I have test driven it, and it drive like an old truck I have been looking at truck values, and I think it looks like he is spot on with price, but I wanted to hear from the experts. It has the 350 with a 3 speed auto, and factory air (doesn't work but how hard is it to fix?). I am not trying to lowball the guy, I just want to make sure it is a fair price.

Thanks and I hope to be enjoying my new truck soon!
Michael Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: New guy with a question

-
Welcome to the best truck board on the net!

I presume you have checked underneath for rust in the cab supports and floor. Also above the windshield on the inside. It looks pretty good in the pictures but that never tells the whole story... I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Michael Star

I did see some pockets of floorboard rust on the drivers side floorpan, but not the passenger. How bad are those to fix? Also, something else that worries me is the number under the hood near the firewall. They look like junkyard numberings but I am not sure?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
scotts72heavyhalf

Welcome to the board, our old chevys are nortorius for hidden rust, especially when mentioned in the above post, easy to fix if you have the time and money all the parts are available. If you see rust expect its more extensive than you can see with the naked eye, really check out the cab, sometimes its not worth fixing but in this case it looks pretty nice. The AC is also a easy fix, parts are available anywhere almost. Figure if you have to pay someone to do the cab rust repair $1500.00 would be a fair price for rockers and floor pans removed and replaced, a bit more to include paint and door seals.

Happy shopping
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Those numbers are from the factory line, so don't worry about them.

Rust isn't hard to replace if you're good with a welder and sheet metal, but that leads to body work and paint if it's on the outter panels. Be sure to actually check the spots LockDoc said for bubbling in the paint as those are common areas. Does the ac work?

Also...Welcome to the board!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Michael Star

The a/c does not work, and thank you for letting me know about the numbers, I was worried about that! I wish the shots of the interior were better, it actually looks very good for its age.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Like these guys said, look it over real good, all of it. What does the oil look like, what does the tranny fluid smell like, is the wiring all cobbed up, etc. You can get a lot of truck for $4500, short bed if you wanted, so I wouldn't be in a hurry.

And welcome aboard from Sunny Florida!

Be prepared to learn.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well It needs to be put another way when you say good with a welder.I'm in the scrapping business and there are a lot of people that can cut your wife can cut your dad can cut your baby brother can cut. But putting it back to gather a hole nather story.I say take pics from under the truck with a flash and go talk to body shops and ask how much it cost to fix.If you can find a board member near you.That dose it and likes doing it.Have him do it he will do it with more care then a body shop will.

My other Question to the new guy you know they made 2 different body styles of these trucks GMC and Chevy.

Most people like the chevy design over the dual head light design

they made the 1967--68 chevy trucks with the slant hood

the 1967 GMC truck is all buy its self the 1968--70 GMC where the same and the 1971-72 GMC where a little different IN THE HOOD

now the 1967 for chevy was all buy its self cus of the small window In 1968 had a big window but same truck.1969-70 where buy them self's and 1971-72 had a different front end and disc brakes.

Now you have to ask your self are you in love with this truck reason why i ask some people start a project But seem to lose interest.

Now days People are getting smarter there buying ones and are almost done yes your paying 5-6000 for them But your getting the bang for your doller.

If your a light weight and just want to tinker on your truck Buy one that is almost done save your self the heart acke of working countless hours and some times taking up to 1-3 years to finish.

I bought a 1967 3 door suburban 15 years ago I've done little things to it but never really worked on it.I had the chance to buy a 1968 GMC that was a driver for 3000.00 and i felt if i really wanted to know if i wanted to work on the 67 and knowq how they drove and its i liked how they drove this is the perfect chance so i bought it Now i'm glad.

Yes i like them But not enough to spend 15000.00 in time and money just getting the body and paint and rubbers the interior and motor and trans done its better buying a completed on e instead of doing a massive job.

Now if your a semi pro at doing body work Take it on But if your like me Never done a days worth of body work or dealing with cancer best off buy one that is more closer to finished.Trust me you will have enough work to do to making it the way you want it instead of you fighting something you might not Know nothing about.Keep looking

If you look on eBay or CL mabey you find one 300 miles away or check with one of the board members they might have one that there letting go of and they wont rip you off or most of them wont
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
dbstepside

being from pretty nearby murray ky, i think you could find a nicer truck for 4500. not saying anything bad about that truck, but normally you can find decent looking short beds for around the same price. you may like the looks of a long bed though, but for 4500 i think you could find a pretty decent long bed and afford to make it a little more to your liking. but i do know most of these trucks around here and probably the rest of the country is that the nice trucks are priced high, the really nice trucks are high high, and the average and below trucks are just as high when you think of what it takes to fix one. i would say that you could look around and probably put a little more money together and end up with a real decent truck for around 6gs.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Star View Post
I did see some pockets of floorboard rust on the drivers side floorpan, but not the passenger. How bad are those to fix? Also, something else that worries me is the number under the hood near the firewall. They look like junkyard numberings but I am not sure?

The number under the hood is factory markings.

I should have hit refresh before I hit send ...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-27-2012 at 04:47 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Michael Star

WellI am not looking for a perfect one, as I have a couple other cars to drive. I was thinking of keeping it pretty much the way it is, save for updating some things (gas tank) and making it run reliability. I figure the longbed would be better for hauling stuff.

Stsalvage: thanks for all the good info! I like that truck alot too!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
davepl

I think its a bit steep for what's there; I just bought a 1970 GMC Sierra Grande, largely original and with no rust, with a big block and buckets and console and AC for $6700 (from a board member). Now mine's a longhorn and a 3/4-ton, which might hurt the value, but there's no rust that I can see, and hey, it's a big-block.

I think $4500 should buy you a mechanically sound, rust-free, unmolested small-block truck. If you've got that money to spend, I think you'll find a lot more for your money.

Your best bet is to run through ALL the ads in the trucks-for-sale and see where it stacks up compared to what's here, and remember those are the asking prices.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
black_sheep454

I would be a little scared of what's under that black single stage paint job. A lot if stuff can be hidden that way. I've got a one owner 71 gmc I'm asking the same price for that is all original and I've left it that way so people can see exactly what's there. It's kind of like buy a used panel at a swap meet, say there's one there in primer and one that's original, I'll alway pick the original because sometimes it hard to tell what hiding under the surface. Good luck with your purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Michael Star

Ok, I might have worked out a deal with the guy that involves no money. Straight trade for a 99 subaru outback. That way I have no money out of pocket and it helps to get rid of one of my cars.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

not to sound mean or bad But getting ridd of the newer pile and upgrading to a wonderful truck like a old one for a swap sweet deal
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote