The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
jims 55 bbw

Thumbs up volare/aspen clip info

i searched and couldn't find any info on the volare/aspen clip under a 55-59 chevy pu....does anyone have diagrams,measurements, pictures ???...i have everything ready to go, just need a few questions answered BEFORE i make any cuts....any help would be very much appreciated...thanks, Jim...... i've done a camaro clip on a 57 and it turned out nice, just wanting to do something a little different this time.....
jims 55 bbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: volare/aspen clip info

Howdy Jim,

As I recall the lower edge of the frame gets cut about an inch up at the front tapering back the rear.. a wedge cut if you will.

If you still have a VCR I think http://www.nolimit.net might have a video on how to install one. Call them and ask.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
oldcouple

http://www.aspenandvolare.com/
Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Chevette

Make sure you get that clip up as high as you can without weakening the frame. Don't adjust the "bent torsion rods" to get the front end down. If you do, it will soften the suspension to the point that you can hardly drive it. Fatman Engineering sells a 2" drop spindle for about 450.00 that would help you get it down. I had a Volare in my 56 and have few complaints. They are actually not a bad clip if installed well. The brakes are fairly good too. If I remember correctly they are about 11.75 inches. Also, if you are using a 9" ford (or any ford for that matter) the volare/aspen have the same lug pattern. Good luck with your build.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
jims 55 bbw

thanks for the info.....i don't want the truck to be a lowrider, not into that......i just need to make sure i have the right set-back, or angle of the clip for the correct caster......only want to do this once.....lol
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Rude Dude

If I remember right the only problem I see with mopar is the steering box hits the exhaust if you are running a chevy so you have to move motor more toward the passenger side still a good suspension. Post some pics on the install I would like to see the outcome
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
jims 55 bbw

i'm going with all mopar running gear...Aspen clip..360/727....8 3/4 rear...new yorker tilt column....i heard about the motor mount issues, so i'm glad i have a bolt in set-up after the clip is put in.....will try to post pics as i go.... thanks !!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Rude Dude

Well the new Hemi's bolt in that chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims 55 bbw View Post
i'm going with all mopar running gear...Aspen clip..360/727....8 3/4 rear...new yorker tilt column....i heard about the motor mount issues, so i'm glad i have a bolt in set-up after the clip is put in.....will try to post pics as i go.... thanks !!!
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
mr48chev

There used to be someone who sold patterns for people to trim F-100 and I think the Task Force Chev trucks to fit the Volarie crossmember. Word has it that some repair parts for those are getting impossible to find at any price though.

You might Google Volarie F-100 swap or a variant and see if those patterns come up. Mostly you want them so you can lay out the cuts to fit the frame to the crossmember.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
mr48chev

There used to be someone who sold patterns for people to trim F-100 and I think the Task Force Chev trucks to fit the Volarie crossmember. Word has it that some repair parts for those are getting impossible to find at any price though.

You might Google Volarie 56 Chevy pickup swap. some good info comes up. Check the thread on Hotrodders . com one of the guys there gives some good suggestions. Mostly you want them so you can lay out the cuts to fit the frame to the crossmember.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
jims 55 bbw

...i already made cardboard templates...it should be a nice snug fit with very little grinding ..i just need to get the angle of the cut just right..that's my biggest road-block right now...
Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
OrrieG

Friend had one on his AD truck that had not been installed right. To get it low enough to drive the torque adjustment were the maximum which affect the geometry. It had severe bump steer. After it randomly dove off the road after hitting a bump for the third time he parked it and found a new frame and installed a aftermarket MII setup. I never rode in it but looking at it was scary enough, looked like the arms were permantly compressed in the up position.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
jims 55 bbw

.....and that's what i'm trying to avoid, but still have'nt got any answers to my problem..Trucknut57 said he did his....waiting to hear back from him.....thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Here is one I did for a buddy of mine. You can see how I notched the frame and slid it into the notch. The truck is on the road now and drives great. The pro for his clip is if installed correctly it has a nice ride and its easy to installed. The con is with the bulky steering box you will have to offset your engine to the passenger side, the bolt pattern is not chevy (you can have the rotors redrilled), if you really want it low its best you buy the expensive drop spindles, and last the aftermarket is not as plentiful as doing a GM clip.

Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
jims 55 bbw

thanks....do you have any pics of the way the completed truck sits ??..i don't want to go real low.....